Oscar scan during Pregnancy

Pari

Hi,

I am 9 weeks pregnant and my gynae asked me if i want to have an oscar screening or not and mentioned it is completely optional and we have no such family history and i have read on internet that it check for Downsyndrome possibility and if risk is high you are sent for 2nd diagnostic test if it shows high risk as well you have been asked whether you want to continue this pregnancy or not?

So i decided to say no for this test because to me it seems it will just increase my tension.But i really wanted to hear from other mummies and pregnant ladies what they experience and think because i am kind of very confused that should i go for it or not.

Last edited:

NewMommie

Pari:862872 said:
Hi,

I am 9 weeks pregnant and my gynae asked me if i want to have an oscar screening or not and mentioned it is completely optional and we have no such family history and i have read on internet that it check for Downsyndrome possibility and if risk is high you are sent for 2nd diagnostic test if it shows high risk as well you have been asked whether you want to continue this pregnancy or not?

So i decided to say no for this test because to me it seems it will just increase my tension.But i really wanted to hear from other mummies and pregnant ladies what they experience and think because i am kind of very confused that should i go for it or not.
Hi, me too. I am currently 19 weeks pregnant and had decided not to go for oscar test. In addition to the fact that we being young and low risk due to no such precedent in the family, I doubt I can take the wait for the 2bd diagnostic test. My friend shared that her oscar test reflects high risk and put thru the 2nd test, she almost had a nervous breakdown while waiting for the eventual results. I know I would feel and experience the same if my test results dun come back favourable. I guess its ur own comfort level as well.

Pari

Yes I have also decided not to go for this test me and my husband we both are 25 years old and no such family history.
Btw you are 19 weeks did gyane told you about baby gender I am going to be 12 weeks this coming friday and now a days i am just thinking about baby gender so that 8 can start shopping :)

CharChia

Well, it boils to how comfortable u r... for both my pregnancy I did the oscar test coz my husband and I know that if there is anything wrong with our child we willnot be able to provode the special support he or she needs financially and emotionally... plus it doesn't mean that your family doesn't have = low risk... as for my case I went ahead is because I know two people who has down syndrome children... they too thought it wasn't necessary to do the test coz it doesn't exist in their family and now they are on financial assistance coz they need to send the child to special school and one parent had to stay home to look after the child...

so there is good and bad about doing the test...

Maqisa

Well, it boils to how comfortable u r... for both my pregnancy I did the oscar test coz my husband and I know that if there is anything wrong with our child we willnot be able to provode the special support he or she needs financially and emotionally... plus it doesn't mean that your family doesn't have = low risk... as for my case I went ahead is because I know two people who has down syndrome children... they too thought it wasn't necessary to do the test coz it doesn't exist in their family and now they are on financial assistance coz they need to send the child to special school and one parent had to stay home to look after the child...

fully agree with you on this issue.

Pie

Yes I agree with you too. I opted out for the osacar test after discussion with my hubby, and both of us agreed that even if the result came back bad, we will still give birth and take care of him/her. So we decided not to go for it. Additionally, imagine the amount of stress to undergo during that few months (if the result is not ideal)... We'd rather enjoy our pregnancy and accept it when it comes.

junebug86

I did the Oscar scan for my first baby at 12 weeks. My gynae had told me that it should be low risk but gave me the option of doing the test or not. Frankly speaking, from taking the blood test to waiting for the results, I did worry about it for awhile.

Actually the main reason I agree to the Oscar was because I wanted to see baby on ultrasound as my gynae appointments at that time was quite far apart lol.

Oscar scan is not 100% accurate also, if you choose to take it, then dont think about the results too much, believe in yourself, your gynae and your baby :)

Dragontail

There's a test called harmony test or t21 materni test. It's similarly to test for any chromosome problem (like commonly down syndrome). All it needs is the mummy's blood to send for lab test.

I will take this test and not Oscar because the latter gives you a probability. To me, it's still not assuring. I did Oscar once in my first bfp (ended in mc). I didn't know about this harmony test till last year though. This test returns you a "negative" or "positive" end result. It's a logic answer. No "if". So I'm more comfortable with this test. Ok reason being I'm over 40. I'm at high risk and Oscar likely can't give me good probability so I will be asked to go for invasive test next surely, which I'm not comfortable with. I prefer non invasive, ie blood test only on harmony test. I think it started off $3k ish some years ago. But now it think 1k ish.

mummychinchin

i'm 35 & i did chromosome analysis due to high risk in TR21.. anyone enountered the same problem as me? waiting result now... super worried.. haiz!

mamaN

@mummychinchin, which chromosoe analysis did you do? I hope your results came back fine. This is my first pregnancy and I'm gathering info for the non-invasive pre natal test.

ahabehegahail

Hi Mummychin ...I had a very traumatic experience with the Oscar scan with a Thomson Doctor. I am now 15 wks pregnant and initially told the doctor that we do not want to go through the Oscar Scan as well as other subsequent scanning for DownSyndrome. This is our first baby and we both have zero family history of chromosomal abnormality. This doctor forced us to take the entire Oscar scan instead of the detailed scanning so we had to agree. It turned out that the result is "high risk" eventhough i'm only 32 and the scan showed that my baby's nasal cavity is being seen ( most babies with DS wouldnt show nasal cavities in detailed scanning).

The doctor then took out 2 brochures for both non-evasive and evasive procedures (involves poking the sac to get sample but will have a chance of miscarriage). Then she proceed in saying " If you dont take the test now and wait till 20 weeks, the baby will be moving by then and you will have a hard time ABORTING the baby"...

HORRIBLE! We said we will not abort the baby whatever happens and she looked frustrated and asked us " Why did you go through this test then???" We were in shock because she was the one who forced us to do the scan even when we said we didnt want to.

Anyway, discuss this with your hubby...It'll put you through so much worrying. (unnecessary worrying)

Just to let you know accdng to researches done as well as other forums, most babies with High risk will turn out to be Normal Healthy babies. And the OSCAR Scan doesnt guarantee any result. Just like everyone else who is at high risk in cancer or diabetes once your family has the sickness...It doesnt mean you will acquire that too.

I hope this post will help other mums out there. Only you and your partner can decide for your baby. No doctor should decide or force you to do something against your will.

Yes, do this test only if the results will affect your decision not to keep the baby. We wanted to know with more certainty so we went with the Panorama test that is mroe conclusive and got to know the gender of the baby at week 14 too.

stephymom

My doc suggested verifi test done by a local company I think the website is asia-genomics.com from what I googled. He said he likes it for the lowest failure rate. Any others who have tried this test?

It's also around the same price that Dragontail said.

There's a test called harmony test or t21 materni test. It's similarly to test for any chromosome problem (like commonly down syndrome). All it needs is the mummy's blood to send for lab test.

I will take this test and not Oscar because the latter gives you a probability. To me, it's still not assuring. I did Oscar once in my first bfp (ended in mc). I didn't know about this harmony test till last year though. This test returns you a "negative" or "positive" end result. It's a logic answer. No "if". So I'm more comfortable with this test. Ok reason being I'm over 40. I'm at high risk and Oscar likely can't give me good probability so I will be asked to go for invasive test next surely, which I'm not comfortable with. I prefer non invasive, ie blood test only on harmony test. I think it started off $3k ish some years ago. But now it think 1k ish.

suecsie

Hi Stephy

May I know who is your doctor at which hops? Because my doctor did not recommend me this test, he suggests me to use Harmony only. I don't know that there is local company that can run locally?

My doc suggested verifi test done by a local company I think the website is asia-genomics.com from what I googled. He said he likes it for the lowest failure rate. Any others who have tried this test?

It's also around the same price that Dragontail said.