Our Healthy Times Barley Cereal Infested with Insects

Mummy to Baby V

Dear Mums & Dads,

About 1.5 weeks ago, I opened 1 box of Healthy Times Barley Cereal and was appalled to see at least three black insects (approximately 1-cm long each) hopping and crawling inside the inner packaging. For hygiene reasons, I asked my husband to dispose the box of cereal immediately.

I proceeded to open the next box of cereal and was again shocked to see many small black insects crawling inside the inner packaging. One insect was at the box flap. We took photographs which clearly show the insects in the contaminated box of cereal (see below).

A formal complaint was sent within a day to Healthy Times HQ. However, after more than a week, no one has given me a response.

The complaint has just been forwarded to FDA (of the U.S.), Cold Storage (Malaysia), Country Farm Organics, and the Healthy Times distributor in Singapore.

If you have any similar cereal at home, please check it carefully before feeding your baby.

You may view the contents of the complaint letter and photos here.

apollo

thks for the info. actu i saw someone complaining at another forum b4. last time ds only takes healthy times cereal but eversince i saw tt thread at the other forum, i discard the cereal we had and change to the other brands.

if u're looking for alternatives, Happybellies is very good =)

vinder79

yes i 2 saw the thread believe it is in motherhood something.But the cereal seems to be a hit with lotsa mummies.After seeing that thread i check every box of cereal before my boys consume them.But there is no point going after them i remember the thread saying something like a lady in the company accuse the parents instead and they hd checks and if ppl continue to spread that story legal action will be taken.

apollo

yes i 2 saw the thread believe it is in motherhood something.But the cereal seems to be a hit with lotsa mummies.After seeing that thread i check every box of cereal before my boys consume them.But there is no point going after them i remember the thread saying something like a lady in the company accuse the parents instead and they hd checks and if ppl continue to spread that story legal action will be taken.
yes, the person somehow 'threaten' the TS and accuse the e TS that she is lying. i think this happen quite recent.. few mths ago only..

meiteoh

I saw a few threads going on in other forums as well. Suspect that it could be a batch manufacturing issue. I have stopped buying HT for months now - not because of this issue but because I find the flakes annoying (it goes EVERYWHERE if there is a breeze).

Thanks MieVee for making a formal complaint and sharing it!

Last edited:

sufeit0115

So far I've let baby tried only one feed of HT Barley Cereal, but Kaeden didn't like to eat & spit out, so i just put it aside thinking to let him try some other time. I better go home to check whether is it the same batch, even not the same batch, i would throw it away.

I saw the picture of the insects at MieVee's blog, it's damn scary and disgusting. Thanks for letting us know and lodge a formal complaint so that action will be taken.

apollo

So far I've let baby tried only one feed of HT Barley Cereal, but Kaeden didn't like to eat & spit out, so i just put it aside thinking to let him try some other time. I better go home to check whether is it the same batch, even not the same batch, i would throw it away.

I saw the picture of the insects at MieVee's blog, it's damn scary and disgusting. Thanks for letting us know and lodge a formal complaint so that action will be taken.
i think just throw away. last time we saw another forum ppl complain. though we check the cereal is okay but still choose to throw away. haha..

summerp

thks for the info. actually i saw someone complaining at another forum before. last time dear son only takes healthy times cereal but eversince i saw that thread at the other forum, i discard the cereal we had and change to the other brands.

if you're looking for alternatives, Happybellies is very good =)
Where can i buy happybellies?

foreveris

yup.. it was in singaporemotherhood forum.. the HT ppl threaten to sue the TS.. after that the thread link was removed for fear of complications..
my gal is now on Happybellies too... (still have one box of unopened HT cereal)..

chiro

Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore - Contact Info
Dear Mums & Dads,

About 1.5 weeks ago, I opened 1 box of Healthy Times Barley Cereal and was appalled to see at least three black insects (approximately 1-cm long each) hopping and crawling inside the inner packaging. For hygiene reasons, I asked my husband to dispose the box of cereal immediately.

I proceeded to open the next box of cereal and was again shocked to see many small black insects crawling inside the inner packaging. One insect was at the box flap. We took photographs which clearly show the insects in the contaminated box of cereal (see below).

A formal complaint was sent within a day to Healthy Times HQ. However, after more than a week, no one has given me a response.

The complaint has just been forwarded to FDA (of the you.S.), Cold Storage (Malaysia), Country Farm Organics, and the Healthy Times distributor in Singapore.

If you have any similar cereal at home, please check it carefully before feeding your baby.

chiro

ava_qsm@ava.gov.sg

quality service manager hotline number62262250
Dear Mums & Dads,

The complaint has just been forwarded to FDA (of the you.S.), Cold Storage (Malaysia), Country Farm Organics, and the Healthy Times distributor in Singapore.

vinder79

Hi mummies just to share what i feel the company is not going to do any thing unless u and the other mummy in mummy-baby (is it sorry i 4 got)Lodge a formal complaint 2 gather.If nothing happens from manufacturer u go to case saying that u want a refund if u still have the box.Then alert the new paper if case does not wanna do anything.For all of the above u need complete proof for every thing and co-operation from the other mummy.I think there is an UNCLE here right so why dont ask him for legal advise cause HT will not be bothered abt your complaint unless u make it 2 the paper.(I was in F&B FOR 10 yrs and i can safely say there is a power in numbers)Hope this helps if it u really wanna continue all the way as u have photos and if u still have the box.

Mummy to Baby V

I think AVA's website can't load on a MacBook. Thank you for the contact; the complaint has been forwarded to it.

CASE does not apply as the cereal was bought in KL. I would like improvements and preventive measures to be made, instead of getting a refund.

Would see how the relevant organisations / authorities react. If nobody bothers to do anything, then it is bad news for us, the consumers. :(