Out with baby alone, how to manage when nature calls?

babybull

Hi all,

I'm a new mum to a 6 week old baby girl, and would like to bring her out sometimes (going crazy with her non-stop crying at home). So far I've only been out with my husband, so one of us would take care of baby if the other needs to go.

If I'm bringing baby out alone in the sling or stroller, but need to go toilet, what do you do with the stroller and the baby, assuming that stroller is too big to fit into the cubicles?

How about if I'm slinging the baby?

How about daddies who bring baby out alone? Do you bring baby into the toilet with you even if she's a girl?

adelynn

I often bring my girl out alone; can't stand being cooped up at home (haha).
If i'm using my pouch(similar to sling)' it's 'business' as usual for me.
If I'm with mt stroller, I would usually use the handicap toilet, bigger so i can push my stroller in. I am using quite a bulky stroller, the Quinny Buzz & Zapp.

Erm, My hubby at times bring the girl out alone for awhile before coming to meet up, he would try to avoid using the toilet (gg to the toilet before leaving the house) but if really need to, use handicap toilet too...

camom

Slinging wld be a much more convenient option but you still need to be able to maneuver yourself and barang barang in the cubicle comfortably.

Come to think of it, my hubby never went out alone with the kids when they have not been toilet trained yet.

jasobias

hmm..pram if cannot fit in toilet i park right outside my toilet cubicle then use toilet super fast.Usually i try to go toilet at home n not drink so much when out to avoid using toilet.If baby in sling then i wld wear easy to pull down stuff to pee..hahhah!!not easy to delicately balance..the things we mothers have to do!!!hahhahahah

apollo

i will use handicap toilet

tt day went out with a fren and i'm afraid she cant handle ds so i just put the stroller into handicap toilet =)

meiteoh

I usually won't go out with a pram if I can help it as I don't have a car and am reliant on public transport plus I'm a stingy poker (don't want to pay for cabs all the time). Like jasobias, I'd avoid going to toilets in such situations.

This is one of the reasons why I prefer to babywear when I'm out with Eva. I can go to the toilet without any issues. :)

princessminn

I usually won't go out with a pram if I can help it as I dont't have a car and am reliant on public transport plus I'm a stingy poker (dont't want to pay for cabs all the time). Like jasobias, I'd avoid going to toilets in such situations.

This is one of the reasons why I prefer to babywear when I'm out with Eva. I can go to the toilet without any issues. :)
*CLAP CLAP*
u not need bring ur girl in pram to go out???
hand carry not tired ahhh???
:red::red::red:

jasobias

me too avoid cabs when going out with baby.Firstly ah not all taxi drivers r gonna come out of cab to help u load the pram.I know i am strong ah but i still cant hold wriggly baby in one hand n swing the pram into the cab.(I have done tht many times b4 lah but not for the faint hearted n so bloody exhausting!!!)
I like to go places accessible my mrt.After struggling with 2 boys previous to my baby now i know where to go already tht doesnt require me to be built like a body builder!!

Oppsgal

hmm..pram if cannot fit in toilet i park right outside my toilet cubicle then use toilet super fast.Usually i try to go toilet at home n not drink so much when out to avoid using toilet.If baby in sling then i wld wear easy to pull down stuff to pee..hahhah!!not easy to delicately balance..the things we mothers have to do!!!hahhahahah
Not scare someone push the stroller and baby away when in toilet?

stonston

I usually won't go out with a pram if I can help it as I dont't have a car and am reliant on public transport plus I'm a stingy poker (dont't want to pay for cabs all the time). Like jasobias, I'd avoid going to toilets in such situations.

When she grows too big for you to babywear her, you'll regret that you did not train her to sit in a pram :p

babybull

thanks for the replies! Never knew that handicapped toilets are good for strollers.. =P

I guess sling is easier when going out with baby alone, but when she gets heavier would be more difficult right? Plus there's the diaper bag too..

think I will try to avoid having to use the toilets outside even if i'm slinging, unless its an emergency.

So far my hubby brought my girl out alone once for her checkup, he didn't use the toilets outside either.

babybull

Cabs are too expensive to take often. If taking mrt, do you all sling too? How about buses? I read from the straits times forum that strollers must be closed when taking them up the bus, so leh cheh..

Will people give up seats to you if they see you slinging a baby and carrying a big diaper bag? sometimes i miss those pregnant days when i had the 'right' to ask someone in the priority seat to give it up.. =P

littlehelper

I think its still alright if you are carrying baby and you ask for the seat.
I guess the ppl shd take intiative to offer you the sit but i guess most won't so nth wrong with asking.
Anw, you are still carrying extra load and they are not.

jasobias

Not scare someone push the stroller and baby away when in toilet?
hahha..no lah..i really pee super fast one..n i can see shadow of the pram inside cubicle.If someone dare steal my baby away i wld go chasing them even pants down!!hahahhaha

meiteoh

princess & stonston, I do go out with her in the pram but around my block. When we are heading to shopping malls and I'm alone, then I'll babywear her. This is because cabs are costly and well, it's hard to manouever a stroller onto a bus, especially those older-generation busses where there are stairs, rails and all. Plus mine is a travel system so it can be a bit heavy. Even if I had a light stroller, carrying a baby, stroller, diaper bag and going onto a bus, then making sure they don't topple over and injure somewhat...hai, at Eva's age, difficult.

When hubby and I head out with her, we put her in the car seat, hook it up to the pram and off we go. No worries about training her to sit in the pram - I started when she was 2 weeks old. She loves the stroller and can sit in it for hours on end, even fall asleep in it! :D

Babybull, so far, I've encountered very lovely people who will give up their seat for me - be it on the bus or MRT. :)

camom

Cabs are too expensive to take often. If taking mrt, do you all sling too? How about buses? I read from the straits times forum that strollers must be closed when taking them up the bus, so cheh..

Will people give up seats to you if they see you slinging a baby and carrying a big diaper bag? sometimes i miss those pregnant days when i had the 'right' to ask someone in the priority seat to give it up.. =P
I sling.

Re the closed stroller, it's for safety reasons. Not only is it dangerous in case the bus brakes hard or suddenly, it also takes up alot of space. I won't want to risk having my baby fly out of the stroller!

I am very fortunate. I do get ignored sometimes by people in the priority seats but the SBS driver will take the trouble to come out and and asked those in the reserved seats to give way.

babybull

Meiteoh and Camom,

wow you're both very lucky. I hardly got offered any seats on the mrt even when I was 8-9 months pregnant and standing with my tummy in front of whoever is sitting on the priority seats. Usually had to be more 'thick-skinned' and ask them to give it up as I really needed it cos my legs were aching badly.

Once a young girl wanted to offer me her seat, and by the time she came over and tapped me on the shoulder, another lady who saw her standing up with the obvious intention of giving up the seat quickly sat down and opened her newspaper to hide her face..

Another time, when I was nearing my edd, this old granny who looked to be in her 70s actually offered me her seat when she saw that I was carrying my tummy,groceries plus a big bag, and being ignored by everyone else..... I was really touched, but of course I declined it. The other passengers just sat there looking at her and me. =(

jasobias

ya man..u guys r lucky..i 9 months preggers also noone offer me seat one..maybe coz my tummy never so obvious!!zzzzzzzzzzz
Even when i am carrying my baby i do not always get a seat.Gd thing i got gd balance..but if mrt too crowded then it gets difficult