P6 Maths Question

tenor

Alpha Male
haha, let me 班门弄斧。remember the way to get area is 1/2(base)x(height)
compare these two triangles,
1. DF is base of DEF, AD is base of ABD. Therefore, base(ABD) is 4 times of base(DEF).
2. From the base , i hope you still remember how to draw the height, bcoz BE is 3 times of ED, the height(ABD) is actually 4 times of height(DEF), (bcoz BD is 4 times of ED).
3. so area(ABD) is 4x4 times of area (DEF) , which is 16 times.
4. area (ABD) is 16x2=32

I love maths. but bcoz my english is not good, they dont't allow me to teach EMS (english maths and science).

:(
Thanks for sharing.
Erm I don't think that works as there's no indication of a right angle anywhere. and I measured, it's 82-3 degrees and not 90

yumiao

Hi tenor, you are right, it is not right angle, however, the ratio of the height equals the ratio of the edge, when their base is sharing the same line. if i can got suitable software, i will draw for you. :)

tenor

Alpha Male
Hi tenor, you are right, it is not right angle, however, the ratio of the height equals the ratio of the edge, when their base is sharing the same line. if i can got suitable software, i will draw for you. :)
As far as I know, without the mention of the sacred right angle, there's no base and there's no height, for the right angle is the cornerstone that holds the half (Base x height) rule.

But sure, I will be glad to learn new things. :)

On hindsight, if that's the case,
this should not be a primary school question.

yumiao

As far as I know, without the mention of the sacred right angle, there's no base and there's no height, for the right angle is the cornerstone that holds the half (Base x height) rule.

But sure, I will be glad to learn new things. :)

On hindsight, if that's the case,
this should not be a primary school question.
Hm.. actually i have the picture ready, but dun know how to send over. when u c it, u may know that it is just one of the normal ratio question for P5 or P6. once u got the point, u know the answer is very simple. but if unfortunately u didn't get the point, then u better not waste ur time. wait for a few days time and come back and re-look at it again. :)

tenor

Alpha Male
Hm.. actually i have the picture ready, but dont know how to send over. when you c it, you may know that it is just one of the normal ratio question for P5 or P6. once you got the point, you know the answer is very simple. but if unfortunately you didn't get the point, then you better not waste your time. wait for a few days time and come back and re-look at it again. :)
Great that you have the picture that can enlighten me at least. Please email it to me at pc08ps02@yahoo.com or post it. TIA

stonston

Reply from JILL2010...

Hi Stonstn

The ratio of E:p is 6:1 and NOT 7:1 as what you mentioned in your working.

Also plse explain your meaning highlighted in red.
Regards,

Jill2010
The question:
Jack bought some pens and erasers for a total of $100.10. He spent $9.10 more on the pens than erasers. Each pen costs $3.70 more than each eraser. Jack bought 6 times more erasers than pens. How much does a pen cost?

The key phrase here is 6 TIMES MORE. Which means that if there is 1 unit for pen, there will 6 times more units for erasers, which means (6 x 1) + 1 = 7 units for erasers.

IF the question is 6 times as many, then the ratio should be 1:6.

P/S: Are you really a school teacher like you told me in chat?