pacifier - need or want?

felicity

Can baby do away with pacifier? I'm thinking not to buy any... Any comments? Must babies have pacifier? Thanks!

Satya

I feel my baby is calm without grumbling if he uses pacifier.i give him very rarely.whenever he is very fuzzy I give it for a while.its upto u to try.

mswong

My bb prefers his thumb. He didn't like pacifier... He cried whenever i put it into his mouth... I hope it could sometimes replace my nipple...

KAmum

I give bby a pacifier when she won't sleep even after milk. Try not to tho, they may be reliant on it and this may affect the growth of their teeth. The top two will protrude out (I.e buck teeth) and it won't be attractive :cool:

Alisa

i started to give pacifier to my son when he is not even 1mth old... cuz he really cried alot! beginning he also kept spitting it out but if u put in the pacifier again, he will suck on it. now he is 8mth old and has stop taking pacifier about 2mths ago, he don wan it himself.

mswong

Alisa:661543 said:
i started to give pacifier to my son when he is not even 1mth old... cuz he really cried alot! beginning he also kept spitting it out but if u put in the pacifier again, he will suck on it. now he is 8mth old and has stop taking pacifier about 2mths ago, he don wan it himself.
Sounds good... But my son cries louder when i put the pacifier into his mouth. Just didn't like it, i think...

Alisa

they will get confused in the begining wan. my son also refused pacifier when we 1st give him but when he took it and when i am going to latch on, he get confused again. they need time to get used to it but of course, if they don like pacifier is also good cuz they will not get addicted.

xiaodaisy

it really depend , alot mummies give pacifer bcos either they wanted baby to stop crying as it act as a mute button , for me i'm trying but my baby always reject as i'm bf-ing and my baby likes comfort sucking to sleep and she can sleep very long like 6hrs in day time and i would be paralyzed but so far failed all attempts LOL !

According to me a Pacifier is a need as well as a want. Because each time it's not possible for mother's to make the baby asleep by breastfeeding. Therefore, it's a best alternative for both the parents and the child.

• :nah:

AdoreaChild.com
In my opinion,its depend to the child if he is comfortable using pacifier.

Last edited:
Using a pacifier to put the baby to sleep helps to reduce the risks of SIDS. But try not to use it for the first few months if you're breastfeeding, might lead to nipple confusion.

lyra

I never give baby pacifier for fear of nipple confusion, I also don't think it's very necessary. I tried to introduce to him when he 3 months and he rejected it. So far he's doing good without pacifier and babies look cuter like that, IMO, you can see their whole cute face and their small mouth without pacifier blocking... Haha otherwise evertime you take their picture, they have a pacifier blocking the face.

ast0212

I didn't give it to my kids. If they wanted comfort I'd breastfeed them... My son sucked his fingers instead of a dummy. I'm a lazy mum, I can't be bothered washing or sterilising anything so at least if he wanted to comfort suck his fingers I didn't have to worry about sterilising them.

cupcakemum

I was skeptical about using a pacifier too. I was afraid of the damage it'll do to teeth. So i didnt buy any when preparing for my daughter's arrival. But from about 2 months, she would go into crying fits for about 2-3 hours even after satisfying all her needs. we couldn't soothe her and she grew more and more frustrated. So we decided to use a pacifier and it worked instantly!!! It really helped to soothe her and reduce our (husband and me) stress levels.

I guess it works for different babies. But i heard that letting a baby suck on his/her thumb is more damaging for teeth than sucking on a pacifier.