Pacifier - to use or not to use?

joanneang

hi mommies,

based on your experiences, do you mommies use pacifier for your babies to sleep?

Some advise me not cos they say dun let the baby get used to it. And some say that the baby will cry when the pacifier slip out of their mouth.

apollo

hi mommies,

based on your experiences, do you mommies use pacifier for your babies to sleep?

Some advise me not cos they say dont let the baby get used to it. And some say that the baby will cry when the pacifier slip out of their mouth.
i started letting ds use paicfier when he was 2 weeks old. but at 6mths old, he suddenly wean himself off pacifier. we only let him use when he wanna slp. actu pacifier can gif the baby a sense of security thus i gave ds. but he now no longer use it, so i got no pro at the weaning part.=)

candy_ian

I didn't give my son the pacifier cos I didn't introduce bottles so introducing a pacifier wasn't part of my plan as well..

angelwendy

I did give my son pacifier when he is 2 weeks old... but the trouble is ... it will keep dropping & u need to put back to his mouth again.. it can happen so many time till i'm piss...:001_302: haha... but my PD say that is good to let baby suck when they r young.. but after 3 month try to wean off.. but.... is always hard to wean them off...

sugarcookie

IMHO, if using a pacifier helps to calm your baby, and makes you a more-sane Mummy, then by all means use it.

As for difficulties in weaning off the pacifier, it depends on your baby. Some babies wean off easily, others take more time.

xue

i gave my son pacifier when he was a mth old and i wean him off at 1yr+..
I wean him off by letting him cry a few nights..after a few night, he forgets abt the pacifier already..
For my second child i am still considering if i should introduce the pacifier too..

TANZHENZHI

For me i only give it to my son when he wants to sleep. He also didn't ask for the pacifier but sometimes when he cry i just stuck into his mouth and let him calm down. :001_302:

adelynn

i gave my girl her pacifier when she was 3 months old. I just returned to work after ML and she was very fussy and cranky, so we gave her the pacifier to calm her down and let feel comfort (my boob's replacement became the pacifier). After we got over the difficult period, we now only resort to using the pacifier when she's extremely cranky and/or difficult.

if you infrequently use the pacifier or do not give the baby the pacifier at every whim, it would be easier to wean the baby off.

don

Alpha Male
hi mommies,

Some advise me not cos they say dont let the baby get used to it. And some say that the baby will cry when the pacifier slip out of their mouth.
pacifier is good for making bb to sleep..
You can introduce to your child..but remember not to let him have it too frequent as he need to get rid of this habit when he grow older..

Some brand of pacifier adv and disadv..

Advent - good as the nip is long.. bb love it but hard to rid the habit
Nuk Nuk - good for bb to get rid of the habit as its short and curl..

Thus, if you want him to start to get rid of habit, hee hee, after several months of pacifier, change to Nuk Nuk Brand..

5 cent worth..
Hope it helps

mrsmorgan

Initially i was so against e pacifier too! My MIL was e one who suggested using it to comfort my boy to sleep since he used to be cranky at night n he always needed to be carried or rocked to sleep. Then sometimes when he's asleep n we try to put him dwn on e bed, he'd wake up crying again! After using e pacifier, i find that he sleeps better n i dont hav to rock him to sleep anymore! I only let him use it at night n he always spits it out when he falls asleep. Sometimes i let him use it for naps during e day but only when he's very cranky..

He's using avent.. Maybe i shld change to nuk instead? I really hope he wont depend on it too much n will wean off it soon!

ling.er

I give my son pacifier when he was 2wk + when he slp... once he slp he will auto throw out the pacife from his mouth .. .. I think quite usefull for my son cos he some tiem dun wan slp after milk & he is tired alrd so i give him .. ..:shyxxx:

pkshl

my son started on pacifier at 3wks old. Now that he's coming 13mths, i only let him suck on it when he's falling asleep & when he's in deep sleep, he will auto drop the pacifier off.

but i dun wan him to rely too much on pacifier though suckin on it calms him down when he cries nonstop.

i see my 3yrs+ niece & 2yrs+ nephew still sucking pacifier, i hope i can wean him off soon(dun wan him to b like his other 2 cousins:nah:)

but some ppl said suck pacifier is better den sucking thumb. some babies suck thumb & more difficult to wean off.

Dragontail

I'm still very early in my pregnancy but this topic does come to my mind :)

I believe not to let my baby be too dependent on something, in this case, a pacifier. If I can get away with it, I will. But I guess I should access the situation and decide if a pacifier is a solution for his/her comfort at times.

My hubby likes the idea of pacifier. But I do not really fancy it.