Pap Smear during pregnancy?

Hi everyone:)
I am new. I am a singaporean currently residing in US with my hubby till next May. I am currently 5 weeks and 5 days so from now till next april, I will be engagin my gynae from US. Just wondering if in Singapore, were you asked to do a pap smear during your first appt with you gynae? I have not had one before but over in US, it seems the norm to have it done during first prenatal visit. Can anyone tell if its the same procedure in Singapore. Thanks

stonston

Nope, i was not asked to do pap smear on fist visit when i was preggie....onli asked to do it after i delivered...

i dun tink it is good idea to do it while preggie lei....cos pap smear may cause bleeding since they are scrapping cells off ur cervix...

Yeah that was what I thought too, to do it after my delivery. My doctor says its fine after delivery...Anyhow I am really not used to the US system... My mum says to do it after delivery. What I fear most is bleeding, even spotting... but my first u/s is next week-transvaginal u/s, will that cause bleeding too?

Did you have your first pap smear done after you delivered too?

stonston

i got preggie during honeymoon, so din have any pap smear done b4 i got preggie...i did my pap smear after delivery :) no problems de....

if u r not comfy about doing pap smear while preggie, jus voice it out n see wot they say....

i din do v-scan at all during my pregnancy...cos my gynae's tummy scan machine is very good n clear....5wks can see clearly already, so no need to do v-scan :)

Sounds good. I definitely don't feel good about doing the paps now that I am preg.. I feel nervous thinking about it even. Hopefully by next week they can use the normal abdominal u/s to see my baby. I will be 6 weeks 5 days I think... do you think I will be able to hear the heartbeat or just see it?

oh I did ask my gynae about the pap thingy and he said its up to me, could be done after delivery too...I was reading up, it says that if the pap has got abnormalities results during preggies, when taken again after delivery, the abnormalities may shed off... don't know how true. But I just hope baby is fine inside me...

stonston

i remember i saw the little heart flickering on e screen at ard 7-8wks :)
i din hear it cos when we saw it flickering on the screen, it was clear indication to us already :)

but we did request to hear it during 20 week detailed scan at the hospital :)

btw, my fren delivered in US n she told me they dun do so many ultrasounds there....onli 1 to confirm the pregnancy....then another 1 at 20 week (detailed scan)....n probably another 1-2 b4 delivery...tt's all...
they mostly go by hearing baby's heartbeat n touch the belly (feel the size, etc) onli...not common like in Singapore to have ultrasound at every check up....

yeah you are right. By the time I be back in sg, I will be 6 months so I think should be fine... I think jus before that, I will need to get a s'pore gynae to schedule appt and stuff...