partial latch and give ebm

Hi mummies.

I am a second time mummy but have no experience in breastfeeding cos I only partial bf for about 1.5 months due to stress and lack of knowledge. I am due in oct for no. 2 and since I thought of this question would like to ask to be prepared.

Is it possible to partial latch and give ebm for my baby? Reason being my 21 months old baby still needs attention and I hope to have some time to be with him. I am worried that fully latched baby may require lots of comfort latch and if I keep latching I wont be able to cook and take care of no. 1. By sometimes giving ebm my hubby can help to feed the baby too. However I know that direct latch is the best way to stimulate milk flow and increase supply. So mummies any advice?

My plan was to alternate between latch and express. Would this not stimulate milk flow ? I don't have a good supply to begin with for my first birth so would like to have as much as supply as possible.

Usually how long after latch should I pump out my milk and after pumping should I latch or give ebm for the next feed as would there be less milk in my breast for baby to drink after pumping?

ast0212

It is possible to latch and give bub EBM, however, I'd think it'll be a little more difficult to maintain supply that way..plus more work for you having to find time to pump, clean equipment etc. Honestly, it is much easier and less time consuming to latch on directly :)

Don't underestimate your capabilities when baby 2 is born :) Mums are very talented when it comes to handling a lot of things, it may just take a while to get used to having a toddler and baby whilst juggling cooking and housework but you can do it! My eldest was 22 months when the second was born...somehow we managed to get through and thankfully my son understood that I had to feed baby all the time, even for comfort feeding. There were times I needed to feed baby while feeding my son lunch or putting him for a nap, or cooking dinner...so it is possible to directly latch and do the things you need to do, and not neglect the eldest :) Oh, and invest in a good baby carrier if you haven't already. Carriers like Ergobaby or slings allow you to breastfeed baby on the go!

Hi ast0212

Thanks for your reply here and in the other post! Hi 5 my boy will be 22 months when my baby is born too! Ya since the first month I am doing my confinement, I think I can fully concentrate on latching baby. But I hope that my baby can be versatile to accept my nipple and bottle teat as well. Another thing is though all mummies say babies will have enough if feed on demand, I still worry if I do not knoe how much baby is drinking. Maybe cos for my first boy, he sleeps within a few minutes and therefore I worried I dont have enough bm and hence resort to giving fm.

Really hope I can latch and bf successfully this time. I think first I will concentrate on latching, then add in pumping when time allows. I have been lazy last time did not keep pumping so this tine I determined to do it!

ast0212

Heheh I think it is easier when the eldest is still a toddler. I found there was no jealousy or struggle for attention. My 3rd will be born when my 2nd is 2 yrs+9 months, I have no idea how she will be with the new baby! I have already told her she needs to share her milk with her baby brother, and she is not quite happy about that hahaha....but she does say baby will have one breast and she has the other.

It is hard to know how much bub is drinking when latching on, and usually the best way to tell is by wet nappies. If they are wetting/dirtying 6-8 nappies in 24 hours, you are doing fine! Babies can be pretty sleepy in the first couple of weeks, I know how worrying that can be. With my daughter from the day she was born and over the first few weeks she would only drink 5 mins at a time from one breast for each feed!! And she would fall asleep so easily, yet she was gaining heaps of weight and wetting lots of nappies, so she definitely was drinking lots from me.

Try your best, with a positive attitude and an understanding of how bf works, you can succeed! :)

Wow you are having your third! Congrats to you! So how many boys and girls u have? I have a boy and expecting another boy. :)

Thanks I will do it this time! By the way since your kids are older can I ask is it normal for my 21 months old boy to be not speaking alot? He can speak maybe around 20 words, some not clear. But he still dont say papa mama though he knows who we are. He doesnt address his daytime caretaker who is his yeye and ah ma too. Should I be worried and send him to see speech therapies? I am thinking of waiting until 24 months.

ast0212

Wow you are having your third! Congrats to you! So how many boys and girls u have? I have a boy and expecting another boy. :)

Thanks I will do it this time! By the way since your kids are older can I ask is it normal for my 21 months old boy to be not speaking alot? He can speak maybe around 20 words, some not clear. But he still dont say papa mama though he knows who we are. He doesnt address his daytime caretaker who is his yeye and ah ma too. Should I be worried and send him to see speech therapies? I am thinking of waiting until 24 months.
Thanks Cherry blossom!! Wow congrats to you on having another boy hehe.. My 3rd is a boy too, due in around 9-10 weeks time.

It is totally normal! 20 words at 21 months is pretty good!! Even if they are not clear. At 22 months my son could only speak a handful of words...then his speech took off and he couldn't stop talking and still talks non-stop hahaha. They will learn to address people, all in their own time :) I don't think it is anything to worry about, unless they are not able to indicate their wants through actions, or respond to their own name or anything you say, etc... if he is communicating through pointing or other ways, then words will come later :)

Hi ast0212!

Yes my boy is communicating through pointing etc and he has no problem following our instructions. He also can recognise alot more things recently from books just that he cant speak well and I calculate again think not 20 words so much hehe. Mayb I am a little impatient cos still waiting for him to call me!

Wow nice 2 boys 1 girl. :) ohh so your edd is in nov. :) mine next month! All the best! :)

ast0212

Cherry blossom:881891 said:
Hi ast0212!

Yes my boy is communicating through pointing etc and he has no problem following our instructions. He also can recognise alot more things recently from books just that he cant speak well and I calculate again think not 20 words so much hehe. Mayb I am a little impatient cos still waiting for him to call me!

Wow nice 2 boys 1 girl. :) ohh so your edd is in nov. :) mine next month! All the best! :)
That's great!! Enjoy every stage because once they start talking they will not stop!! Every minute mum..mum..mummy mum!!! Then come the "why?" Questions hahaha...my daughter started a few months ago...my son still asks why why why haha...

Thank you!! All the best to you too!! I hope you are able to rest and relax a bit before your bub is born!!