piano or violin?

if given a choice, i would say piano first to build the foundation and then violin...

after you ve learn how to play the piano, its definitely easier to switch to other instruments ...
I would prefer kids to learn violin and piano at the same time for a few months then let them decide on which one they like and have more talent in. learning to play the piano first doesn't mean its easier to switch to other instruments. ( I teach piano and violin full time). Seen kids struggling when they transfered from piano to violin.

munzy06

Trial lessons and see which one the kid prefers more. Let your kid watch some youtube videos of violin and piano players maybe? See if he is interested or not.

littleolde

As a music teacher, I would recommend that for beginners general music lessons rather than instrument specific to explore a repertoire so that your child does not lose interest in music too early.

rocklandpiano

Tuning your violin using a Piano or Keyboard is a simple task. It is pretty easy and good for beginners because your only playing open strings on the violin, so you can have a free hand to turn the pegs while the piano and the violin are resonating. It's also better because you can tune each individual string, instead of getting one reference string and tuning the rest of the strings to it.

fruiti

No preference. I send them for both when they were younger. Elder one prefer piano while the younger one prefer strings.

MomKiasu

There are music schools that offer free trials before you commit. Otherwise can consider private lesson at your home for convenience sake. I started my child with a keyboard that is affordable (to make sure they are interested in pursuing their interest) before purchasing a piano. More importantly, is to find an instrument that your child has a keen interest in:)

tjljason

Well, these are some points for consideration such as:
violin is portable, piano isn't
piano is easier to pick up than violin
violin lessons are a lot more expensive than piano

Oh well, if you're looking for young violin teachers for your kids, theres' 2 i know personally:

1) Ng Ze Wei
Ze Wei graduated from Dunman High School in 2016, having completed the six-year Integrated Programme. He started violin lessons at the age of 5 & has obtained the DipABRSM (Violin Performance) at age 13 and was one of the guest performers (on the violin) with the Singapore National Youth Orchestra in 2013.

His email is ng.zewei@outlook.sg

2) Min Yee
Min attained the Associate of Trinity College London (ATCL) Diploma for Violin Performance after completing the ABRSM Grade 8 Violin Practical and ABRSM Grade 8 in Music Theory. She studied under violinist Ms Guo Lan of the Singapore Lyric Opera and is currently under the mentorship of Mr. Alexander Souptel, who was concertmaster of the Singapore Symphony Orchestra and is currently Professor of Violin at the Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music at the National University Singapore (NUS).

Her email is carteblanche_min@yahoo.com

You can also check out the other singapore violin (& piano) teachers at https://beehivee.com/listing-category/singapore-violin-teachers/ !

Hopefully it helps!

entresell

I would pick the piano. Less physically demanding for a kid as it requires less precise finger placement and less physical strength, and more versatile.

Lin285

hi all,

is piano or violin better? or which one is easier to pickup? cant decide on which one for age between 5-7yrs old..
I am a piano teacher. Technically speaking, piano is easier to pick up as compared to violin. Piano for a child is more clear cut like Mathematics whilst violin is complex like Chinese characters. I’m available for lessons. Highest level of education: Classical Music Composition, Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music, NUS. Drop me a message

feliciakohyl

Hi, looking for piano students! (Classical piano). Private lessons at West area, please Whatsapp 93823929 for further enquiries!

As parents, we aim to encourage our children to explore their abilities and interests. Deciding whether to go for piano or violin for music education can be challenging, considering that both instruments offer unique prospects for creative expression. Do explore the intricacies and guide you towards a choice that will ignite your child's passion for music and pave the way for their personal fulfilment at our blog: dacapomusicacademy.com.sg/2023/07/15/exploring-the-musical-path-piano-or-violin-for-young-aspiring-musicians