Play yard or Playpen??

xicloudix

Currently i have a pass me down playpen, but whenever put my boy inside, a while only he cry then i kept in store room till now.....

Wondering should i buy a play yard? or juz use playpen? in a dilema, not sure whether its a need or not?

with a playyard, i can put him inside while i do my hse work, but it does not guarantee that he will not climb out and fall down?

or do with none????

Currently i put him on my bed and surround it with pillows/ put him in his bed which he can't crawl out at the moment (his is a toddler bed which is sandwich between my bed and the wall)... but i believe in a short time, he will learn how to crawl out

littlehelper

How old is your child?
If he's still an infant below 6 mths, play yard maybe good, can use for longer time but that does not necessary mean he will like it in the play yard too.
Playpen if he's still about 6 mths he would out grow it sooon,
I think the best is to child proof your house and close all the doors of the room and let your child be.
OR.
Child proof one room means only toys, if there are electrical plugs place the cover over it. Windows and all locked. Put the mini gate to that room, leave the big door open and check on him once in a while. Must have sufficient toys to keep him occupied.
Can have different boxes of a few toys in each everyday just take out a new box.(inside one box have a few toys 3-4) then he won't get bored.

diymummy

I bought a 6 panel playyard for my son. Works out to be a 2m x 1m area. Quite big. When my son was below 14mths, he would play inside the playyard. The play pen we use it for punishment purposes. lol. If he's naughty or defiant, in to the play pen he goes for abt 5-10minutes.

gumbokins

i think it also depends on how much space you have in the house. a play yard would be bigger, and more space for the kid to 'graze' (ha ha).

personally I let my daughter free-range around the house. childproofed the sharp corners and made sure I had nothing dangerous within her grasp when she was at the crawling age.

xicloudix

he is currently around 8 mths now, have itchy hands like to open drawers haha.... now i let him sit in walker and cruise around with his itchy hands...

mine is a 3room flat thus afraid its too big

how long usually play yard can last??? till how many years old ?

gumbokins

I think how long the playpen can last depends on the child, not the play yard haha.

3 room flat, oklah, i think you will be able to see him wherever he is. the walker is also quite good to keep him mobile but yet out of trouble. it's also good to familiarize him with the house, i feel.

littlehelper

Yeah depends on every individual child but average i think 15 mths? Then they would wanna be outta that thing. And also if you leave him there all day he will get bored of it sooner.
Walker is a good idea but do be very careful, don't leave things lying around he might trip and topple over.
And since he's 8mths, i think it would be good to let him start exploring crawling(if he has not) playpen will not last much longer. Mayb til at most 1 year old.

apollo

play yard isa good choice esp if u're taking care of baby alone at hm. i wanted to get one but end up didnt cos most of the time i have at least one of the other family members at hm to help me look aft him if i nd to cook or go toilet. play yard is safer and more stable i feel. and there is an activity panel where ur son can explore and play.

pinkytham

Hi dear for mi, I have both but playpen my ger dun feel comfy inside maybe too enclosed they dun like. Bought the Haenim Play-yard for her and put her inside =D on the base i used the foam ABC mat and put lots of toys inside. Starting i will go inside and sit and play with her than when she knoes that its playtime inside, she will not cry =D would reccommend u buying a play pen =D Haenim is good. the 6 panels one can put a single size mattress inside =D hope this helps =D

Mummy to Baby V

I relied heavily on Vee Bee Play Yard when son was 9-18 months old.
When he was older, he could understand instructions better and would keep himself from messing up the room.
This play yard is huge, so he was fine playing inside.

Now at 21 months old, he'll go to his reading corner and pull out books to read or play with toys while I'm in the bathroom.
Most importantly, child-proof the room with covered sockets, locked drawers, locked bathroom, no pail with water anywhere.
We also fixed his Ikea shelves to the wall so that he can't pull them down while getting toys.

Even with a play yard, I still watch him closely. At most out of sight for a few minutes, as young children could easily endanger themselves in unthinkable ways.

Review: Vee Bee 6 Sided Play Yard | Mummy's Reviews

ping26

if your baby has a persistent kaypoh personality and has been zooming ard in walker, chances are he won't stay long in either playpen or play-yard.

For my baby, she only agrees to go into cot & playpen when she is tired.

The Haenim play yard is used to keep toys out of reach =.= I think the activity panel may interest babies below 8 mth old. My baby hardly touched it cos I bought it when she was already cruising ard at 10-11 mth. Then she liked to go in and out & open & close the gate.

xicloudix

Thanks all for ur feedback!!

Ping26: yes my boy very kaypoh, he like to walk here walk there touch here touch there, so i dun know he can stay in the play yard for long... but if he is interested in an item, he can play for at least 1/2 hr.... but can't determine his favourite toy coz he everyday change his interest haha

megtan

My boy started crawling quite early and very kaypoh loves exploring the house. I was hesitant to get play yard coz don't know whether he wants to be confined and also lack of space in my house. Rented a Haenim play yard to try and cleared the living room for the play yard. However, the moment I put him in, he started wailing to get out. In the end I abandoned the idea. Got a walker instead. I limit his time in walker at most 15 mins (when I really need to do something) as not good for muscle development apparently. Now that he's cruising, I child proof the house as far as possible and let him roam about. When I'm in the kitchen, I let him play with some kitchen stuff and open 1 cabinet (with safe things inside) for him to explore.

cmeilim

i am also considering whether to get a preloved play yard but my hubby is not supportive. we hv a boy who can walk now, actually he runs more than walk, tearing through our three-room flat. but we are expecting another boy next feb. my hubby thinks #1 will tear down the play yard, and #2 (when he can crawl and cruise) will be influenced by his elder bro and not want to be confined to a play yard but wants to roam around freely like his elder bro....

Mummy to Baby V

i am also considering whether to get a preloved play yard but my hubby is not supportive. we hv a boy who can walk now, actually he runs more than walk, tearing through our three-room flat. but we are expecting another boy next feb. my hubby thinks #1 will tear down the play yard, and #2 (when he can crawl and cruise) will be influenced by his elder bro and not want to be confined to a play yard but wants to roam around freely like his elder bro....
18 months old seem too old for a play yard. Very soon, he'll learn to climb out of it by stepping on toys or anything that can hold his weight.
Safer to child-proof the house and have a VERY interesting play / learning corner.

With 2 young kids, just be prepared for a messy house. And yes, the young one tends to follow the older sibling. I witness my boy's 2 cousins' active-ness almost daily. :)

cmeilim

ho ho ho, the play yard is actually meant for #2, not #1. there's no way my 18mo will be contented with being confined to within the play yard. as it is, he gets cranky when we stay indoors the whole day during weekends. haha!

Last edited:

ping26

at one point, we managed to trick my baby to stay inside for a while. Then she tried to climb it by squeezing her toes thro every crevice or nook. She liked hanging from the playpen =.= (she's very strong despite her size) It was a matter of time before she tried climbing. My friend's boy fell backwards & almost hit the back of head.

I think a play-pen offers more mileage if it's used from birth; it's safer cos it does not offer any toe or finger hold. My baby did bump her head 2 times on the metal frame (even though it was padded). It can be moved to any part of the house more easily. The panels of the Haenim play yard fell out when I tried to lift them. It's definitely more effortful. At the mouthing stage, baby's likely to gnaw at the PVC panels (toxic but easier to clean).

It's best to get the play yard before baby learns to crawl or when baby is comfy with tummy time. That'll yield at least 5 mth of use. No self-respecting kay poh will stay inside once he learns to cruise!