Pls advise! 6 weeks old baby down with cough with phlegm and flu

Niko BB

Hi, my 6 weeks old baby is coughing quite badly at times with alot phlegm, seems to have flu also. I went to a GP and GP gave her Fluimucil 100mg sachet to dissolve in a glass of water and said no medicine for her as she is too young. Then we brought her to a PD again, and PD didnt gave her any oral medicine too. Instead gave her a Eye Drop for Nose. Kindly advise..will the phlegm go away on its own without any medication? Her 2nd dose Hep B vacinnation has already being delayed, and now she is down with cough and flu again.. we are wondering if its ok to delay further again? Pls advise.. what should i do to reduce the phlegm since no medication is given... TKS!!

pixie

Are you breastfeeding your baby or is s/he on formula?

I suppose you can try switching her formula to those that contain less sugar.
At the back of the tin of formula compare the compound of carbohydrates, sucrose, glucose and/or fructose level with the current brand which you are feeding your baby and get one that has lower of them. Hopefully that helps to reduce your baby from coughing out a lot of phlegm.

Niko BB

Are you breastfeeding your baby or is s/he on formula?

I suppose you can try switching her formula to those that contain less sugar.
At the back of the tin of formula compare the compound of carbohydrates, sucrose, glucose and/or fructose level with the current brand which you are feeding your baby and get one that has lower of them. Hopefully that helps to reduce your baby from coughing out a lot of phlegm.
ok noted tks, she is on formula Enfalac A+ and AR, wondering if AR could cause phlegm as it is very sticky. We just brought her to kk.. cos she was like breathless that night after my que, she was admitted and was suppose to stay on for few more days or day but we asked for earlier discharge cos there isnt any single beded rm available, was warded in a 4 beded rm, all the kids was coughing badly..after they gave her the Naberlizer (not sure how to spell) her air passage was cleared and we asked for early discharge. Was finally given oral medication to reduce her phlegm. Last night she vomitted again after cough..feeling very stress each time when feeding her....

Last edited:

pixie

My baby has just switch to the same formula as your baby....AR and she is doing well. If your baby starts to cry and saliva has some bubbles, try to remove them yourself. Hopefully it helps to clear her windpipe.

Niko BB

My baby has just switch to the same formula as your baby....AR and she is doing well. If your baby starts to cry and saliva has some bubbles, try to remove them yourself. Hopefully it helps to clear her windpipe.
o..bubbles...yesterday and day before we notice alot of bubbles .. so it is the phlegm? later it becomes dry out ard her lips. Your baby has got reflux also? So you also carry her upright (15 to 30mins) after each feed?

pixie

Yes, my girl has bad reflux in the first 2 months, so I switched her formula from Mamil to Similac Total Comfort. During her 4th month, I've noticed that her condition has improved so just recently switched to Enfalac A+ and AR.

As she is getting older, sometimes when I held her upright, she will burp automatically and quickly. Other time, i will stroke her back and within 10-15 mins, she will give me at least 1 burp but there are also times where she has no burp. When she didn't burp, usually after about 40 mins or so, she will have milk flowing out from the side of her mouth and I'll prop her up and usually she will burp at this stage if she didn't do so earlier.

Not sure if those bubbles are phlegm, but noticed that each time after I have cleared it for my girl (using a hanky), she feels better. The purpose of removing those bubbles is to 'clear' the windpipe/throat. When your baby is sleeping is there any wheezing sound? My girl does, so I always try to clear her mouth to prevent her windpipe from getting blocked/choked. You can also try to wet a small hand towel to clean her mouth after each feed or when you are bathing her. I do this to my baby too.

nl53

Hi

My child had similar symptoms. Initially thought it was a common flu too. Had nasal suction, took a lot of medication. Later, changed a dr, took her to pediatrician at Mount E, found out that it was reflux. Milk flowing back to the throat, causing irritation and cause the throat to produce phlegm and nose to produce mucus. It might be the same for your child. Sit your child upright for at least 15 min after each feed. Give your child a bit of water at the end of each feed to clear the throat. If the formula is too sticky, add a bit more water to the milk. Dr always say that your child does not need water. In terms of nutrition, water really offers little. But to clear that phlegm in the throat, it helps a lot. It is for you to weigh which is more important. My girl's new doctor says water is not necessary for breast milk but have to if you give her formula.

Niko BB

Yes, my girl has bad reflux in the first 2 months, so I switched her formula from Mamil to Similac Total Comfort. During her 4th month, I've noticed that her condition has improved so just recently switched to Enfalac A+ and AR.

As she is getting older, sometimes when I held her upright, she will burp automatically and quickly. Other time, i will stroke her back and within 10-15 mins, she will give me at least 1 burp but there are also times where she has no burp. When she didn't burp, usually after about 40 mins or so, she will have milk flowing out from the side of her mouth and I'll prop her up and usually she will burp at this stage if she didn't do so earlier.

Not sure if those bubbles are phlegm, but noticed that each time after I have cleared it for my girl (using a hanky), she feels better. The purpose of removing those bubbles is to 'clear' the windpipe/throat. When your baby is sleeping is there any wheezing sound? My girl does, so I always try to clear her mouth to prevent her windpipe from getting blocked/choked. You can also try to wet a small hand towel to clean her mouth after each feed or when you are bathing her. I do this to my baby too.
No wheezing sound, but can hear she got alot of phlegm....haiz..intially after came back from kk there is oral medication for her..then she develope rashes the next day after 3rd dose, then we went to kk..ask if is allergy, doc reply..'at this age they wont hv allergy'...we are kind of ???? got such thing? then was told to be on the save side, stop the medi. So now without medication again...am wondering will my gal recover???? haiz... doc said will take few weeks to recover.....i really wonder..if really will. cos we adults no medication wont recover that fast..not to mention a 6 wks old bb

lyra

Should avoid giving medicine to young babies. The PD we went to say some babies can turn blue as they didn't breathe when given drowsiness causing medicine which can be too strong for them. Babies so young must be physically relieved of the symptoms like using saline nasal spray n nasal aspirator. Unless he has fever, then may need to take some med. I think in hospital, they'll use a suction to suck out babies' phlegm? My baby vomit out phlegm with some milk when he has cold and we were so happy to see the sticky substance in his vomit. I breastfeed him exclusively so that he can recover faster with the antibodies.

Niko BB

Thks for sharing..it has being long since i last logged in... as my gal was was sick again... after back from kk not long..she poo almost after every feed..and her poo poo was with mucus and blood... we sent her poo poo to kk for test.. doc called me and told me no virus found in her poo poo.. and i asked him over the phone if i can let her try Soy milk..and he said can give it a try..so we changed her milk and the phlegm..almost go off instantly..says many ard 2 days.. and her poo poo changed to green color instead of yellow (when she is on cow's milk) and physically we see no blood in the poo already and dont really poo after each feed now. We sent her for a blood test for allergy to cow's milk and was found negative (jus got the result yesterday) and i was like .. ??????? cos we studied her symptons was like she was allergy to cow's milk or protein or watever..but result out was negative.. haiz.... i am very worried now cos am wondering wat caused her poo poo to have blood in it. But the doc did mentioned that even if the blood test result out is negative.. kind of like.. if we try to feed her cow milk again..she might have the same problem..so..i guess what he meant was that the blood test result might not be very accurate.

Niko BB

Should avoid giving medicine to young babies. The pediatrician we went to say some babies can turn blue as they didn't breathe when given drowsiness causing medicine which can be too strong for them. Babies so young must be physically relieved of the symptoms like using saline nasal spray n nasal aspirator. Unless he has fever, then may need to take some med. I think in hospital, they'll use a suction to suck out babies' phlegm? My baby vomit out phlegm with some milk when he has cold and we were so happy to see the sticky substance in his vomit. I breastfeed him exclusively so that he can recover faster with the antibodies.
Ya intially i thot they will suck her phlegm out.. but they didnt... but her phlegm has gone off since we change her formula to soy. i really regretted not breastfeeding her ... could be due to all the stress i am facing...after few days of birth..she was down with jaundice and the stupid doc gave us stress..2 option..1 is to rent the phototheraphy to shine her or to hospitalize her!!!! (now i think back..i really regretted going to that PD) my fren had the same problem also (birth at different hospital, not given the stress option) and we selected to rent the phototheraphy to shine her. Then her belly button was really weird..it took weeks to drop of and took 2 times to drop off completely (bleed quite frequently) wondering if is it becos of the nurse didnt do a good job that is why it took such a long time to drop off. Then at her 3rd week, she was admitted to hospital due to serveral vomitting and was on drip..then on and off she vomits again. then down with phlegm cough...poo with blood.. my gal is really giving me headache... and i wasnt aware that in order to have continuous milk flow..i have to pump every 2 - 3 hrly. That is really stupid of me!!! So i only pumped every night! Soon started to dry up when she was hospitalized..guess was due to no frequent pumping and all the stress i have. Tried to relactate..managed to get few drops now..but as of now..i am still facing alot of stress .. dont think my flow will get back and i wont have so much time to do it..cos i dont have a helping hand..i take care of her myself.

cel.lea

hi niko baby
i will try to breast feed my babies but i can't produce as much as i wanted. i normally stop in a mth, my babies been on formula milk ever since. first 2 boys r ok. my 3rd child constantly coughing & it's obvious he has phelgm too. been over a mth, in & out of hospital, never admitted though. seen pd & gp & chinese doc. he's still coughing. i believe you dont have to feel guilty abt not breast feeding cos my 2 other boys wasnt really breast fed & they r in good health. hope your bb recover soon!

Ya intially i thot they will suck her phlegm out.. but they didnt... but her phlegm has gone off since we change her formula to soy. i really regretted not breastfeeding her ... could be due to all the stress i am facing...after few days of birth..she was down with jaundice and the stupid doc gave us stress..2 option..1 is to rent the phototheraphy to shine her or to hospitalize her!!!! (now i think back..i really regretted going to that PD) my fren had the same problem also (birth at different hospital, not given the stress option) and we selected to rent the phototheraphy to shine her. Then her belly button was really weird..it took weeks to drop of and took 2 times to drop off completely (bleed quite frequently) wondering if is it becos of the nurse didnt do a good job that is why it took such a long time to drop off. Then at her 3rd week, she was admitted to hospital due to serveral vomitting and was on drip..then on and off she vomits again. then down with phlegm cough...poo with blood.. my gal is really giving me headache... and i wasnt aware that in order to have continuous milk flow..i have to pump every 2 - 3 hrly. That is really stupid of me!!! So i only pumped every night! Soon started to dry up when she was hospitalized..guess was due to no frequent pumping and all the stress i have. Tried to relactate..managed to get few drops now..but as of now..i am still facing alot of stress .. dont think my flow will get back and i wont have so much time to do it..cos i dont have a helping hand..i take care of her myself.
Hi Niko Baby,
How your baby now?? Can i know how you get the phlegm out?? My baby having the same problem coughing with badly phlegm. She vomit the milk and she refuse to drink milk sometime.
I wondering what i can do for her.
I am feeding my girl breastmilk and Nan HA (previously is Friso).
Thanks you for sharing.