Positive experience at National Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCID)

Positive experience at National Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCID)

This is an anonymous post (from a friend of a friend).

A long, but an informative post …on the procedure at NCID for suspected Covid-19 (just in case) so you are prepared.

I was recently sent to NCID for suspected COVID-19 infection and was admitted with pneumonia. I thought my experience may help others who are wondering what the process is.

I went to my GP with a fever and cough that had only started earlier in the day. They referred me to NCID, which meant being dispatched to the makeshift quarantine area near the clinic and waiting for an ambulance.

At NCID no one is permitted to accompany you (even during your ride in the ambulance). It is VERY methodical and organised. Everyone is suited up. You follow walk along a pre-designated line, they triage you - enquire about your travel history, possible exposure scenarios, any symptoms experienced.

After triage they take you into an area with about 30 desks and chairs set up - it looks like an exam room. There are lots of these rooms/sections in NCID. They allocate you a desk and you stay at your desk, except for going in to have an x-ray (adjacent room) or using the toilet. They give you a bottle of water and a pencil which you can fill a form out with.

The doctors see you at the desk. Blood tests, IV drip, COVID-19 swab are all done at the desk. There are lots of medical staff in the room, all fully fitted with gowns, goggles and masks.

They are likely to swab you for COVID-19. It's a pretty uncomfortable swab that goes down each nostril and wiggles in your throat until your eyes water. If the x-ray shows your lungs are clear and you are not severely ill then they will send you home to wait for the results. They subsequently issue you a notice to avoid leaving the house unnecessarily (not equivalent to a quarantine order/stay at home notice). They will not quarantine anyone else in your household if they experience no symptoms (obviously you can choose to). They then inform you to come back if you start feeling worse.

They will phone you in a few days with the results and to check up on your situation, but in the event they do turn out positive, I reckon you will probably be contacted much sooner as getting them results only take about 6 hours. You will also be given a follow up appointment at NCID in a few days' time and subsequent hospitalisation leave of 5 days. There is no cost incurred for any of the above except for a $10 fee attributed to the follow up appointment.

Once a patient leaves the NCID screening centre they completely clean and disinfect the desk, seat, floor etc, even throwing away the water and pencil the person used. It's really like a scene from Monster's Inc.

More at https://tinyurl.com/uav9r2h