Potty training

JazN

Hi mummies,

was very impressed some mummies potty trained their child so fast (within 1 week day trained)! Mummies pls share how you toilet train your child.

I left my daughter without any diaper & ask every 10mins if she wants to pee/used the potty. Her pee so much that she keeps wetting the floor. She does not go to the potty by herself, & sometimes don't even tell if she poo in her diaper. She drinks alot & poo is every other day. I wonder if can trained her since her poo pattern like me, poo whenever there is the feeling, may not be everyday @ same time.

Have bought potty book, she understands but don't really put into action. Gal is 2 years

Mummy to Baby V

2 years old is a good time to start. Personally, we started pre-potty training at 7 months old, so it was a slow and steady journey, which we enjoyed.

Feel free to read what we did at 18 Sure-Fire Tips for Early Potty Training Success | Mummy's Reviews

My boy doesn't poo at fixed time too. I started by recognizing his expression when he's about to poo. Then quickly brought him to potty to poo. And taught him to tell (or use hand sign) to indicate his poo urge. At 15 months old, he finally succeeded.

Pee took longer to day-train as he needed to gain enough bladder control to hold pee until reaching the potty. Instead of asking too frequently (I don't want to sound naggy), I observed his diaper wet patterns. (I put on non-waterproof cloth diapers on him for a while and noted he pee-ed about every 1+ hour.) So I brought him to pee at the potty every 1-2 hours. Just before 2 years old, finally day-trained.

Personally, I continued letting my boy wear cloth diapers or training pants during training. Let him switch to underwear only when almost fully succeeded. Reason is I want to prevent frequent wet floor (in case he slips) and protect his books, toys, etc. Less heavy laundry / cleaning to do. Also, our gradual training went on for many months, like running a marathon.

Do what's most comfortable for you and your girl. Different folks, different strokes. And don't expect quick result cos your girl may feel the stress and resist the training. Happy potty training! :)

tika

I just started training my 2 yr old last week. I followed the 3 Day Potty training book. By 4th day there were no accidents and she pooped in the toilet bowl twice. But this method requires alot of patience and 3 days of that alot of patience (no scolding no screaming). And 3 days worth of commitment. But before anyone starts on this program, u must really ask urself whether YOU are ready to potty train ur child. I trained my 3.5yr old same way successfully. And this method doesn't use training pants plus ALL diapers must be thrown out so u won't give up halfway and put on the diaper for the child. If ur keen to find out more u can google 3 DAY POTTY TRAINING by Lora Jensen.

There are many methods to potty training. Hope u find one that works best for u and ur child. :)

ling.er

Bought a potty for my 16 month son but he dare nt sit on it.... He will make a big cry n faster get up if we place him there...

xiaodaisy

i started my boys at 18mths during daytime , letting them running abt without pampers

every few hrs , i will ask , shh shh ? en en ? at night will let them wear pull up pants and still wake them up for toilet

and when they wake up with a dry pampers , i will reward them with food they like

usually , before sleep i will make them go toilet den middle of the night 1 time and can last till morning .. by 2yrs old , my boys can sleep thro the nite alrdy ..

ling.er

Huh run about with out diaper??? later wee or poo on floor hw ???

i started my boys at 18mths during daytime , letting them running abt without pampers

every few hrs , i will ask , shh shh ? en en ? at night will let them wear pull up pants and still wake them up for toilet

and when they wake up with a dry pampers , i will reward them with food they like

usually , before sleep i will make them go toilet den middle of the night 1 time and can last till morning .. by 2yrs old , my boys can sleep thro the nite alrdy ..

xiaodaisy

Huh run about with out diaper??? later wee or poo on floor hw ???
i will ask them every few hrs and maybe for boys , when they wanna urine ,they will always press their kuku bird lol

so its a sign telling me they wanna shh shh

for poo those hard types , before pooing on floor , u see the face gek until red means they rdy to poo den i will show them to take off pants and sit on the potty to poo

when they did those nicely , i will always praise them 'good boy or clever boy' and they alrdy very happy liao ..

kids , very easy to be satisfied .. haha cos i wanted to save pampers money asap , so i train them quite early haha

blackpiggy

is it that you can only potty train them when they can walk? My boy is almost 15mths, I also intend to potty train him, but he still can't walk (by himself).

xiaodaisy

personally , i train them when they start walking by themselves ..

when they cant walk , quite mafan to train them cos u will be the one doing everything for him like pulling off his pants , holding his when he stand at toilet bowl to pee

i make my boys do everything themselves

ling.er

My son is 16month & wanted to potty train him.. when ever MIL place him on potty he will make noise n cry alrd... No choice we can train him lei.. Any advice on tat ??

He did right thing i also will praise him good boy + clap hand.

JazN

Thks very mummy! Have tried with cloth nappy as when i let her use the pants i've to clean up frequently since she doesn't signal she wants to use the potty yet. I've to bring her to the potty

Last edited:

xiaodaisy

My son is 16month & wanted to potty train him.. when ever MIL place him on potty he will make noise n cry alrd... No choice we can train him lei.. Any advice on tat ??

He did right thing i also will praise him good boy + clap hand.
use something to distract him when he sit on the potty , read something , watch cartoon , play toys ..

at first , maybe quite hard for them to sit down without struggling ,sometimes to extreme i will take a cane on hand and they will be good boys alrdy ,lol

auto be quiet and sit there liao .. unless he's the type no scare of cane den it will be useless if u just hold on ur hand lol

my girl is 14 mths, know how to walk already, she understands what I'm saying. she's a fast learner.. everyone said that.. now whenever i remove her pampers ask her shh shh. she will pee. but i can't get her sit in the potty ! OMGGGGG !!! today i saw her preparing to poo. i faster remove pampers and sit her down in the potty, she straight away don't poo and started playing with the potty ... and after half an hr, i wear back her pampers, she POOOOO ! GRRR. wonder is it the potty fault? she keep playing wit it, my MIL bought it la. stupid.. $79.90 those type musical potty fisher price one.. then my girl now keep playing wit it instead of poo ing in it. zzz i really wanna potty train her.. !!shld i change a normal potty? or just place her on the adult toilet with her seat?

blackpiggy

my girl is 14 mths, know how to walk already, she understands what I'm saying. she's a fast learner.. everyone said that.. now whenever i remove her pampers ask her shh shh. she will pee. but i can't get her sit in the potty ! OMGGGGG !!! today i saw her preparing to poo. i faster remove pampers and sit her down in the potty, she straight away don't poo and started playing with the potty ... and after half an hr, i wear back her pampers, she POOOOO ! GRRR. wonder is it the potty fault? she keep playing wit it, my MIL bought it la. stupid.. $79.90 those type musical potty fisher price one.. then my girl now keep playing wit it instead of poo ing in it. zzz i really wanna potty train her.. !!shld i change a normal potty? or just place her on the adult toilet with her seat?
lol so funny. $80 for a potty thats really expensive! I think they will play with the potty as long as its new and interesting to them, what's more with music! my mom bought my son those simple less than $20 potty, just a pail-type, he also play till very happy, it ended up as his bath toy, scooping water into it and pouring away... (=.=") , so we reckon he's not ready and will place him on the adult toilet when he is, coz i think he kinda know what the adult toilet is for now coz he sometimes see me sitting on it and i will tell him we poo-poo or shh shh.. lol