Preparation of Meat

camom

Just curious, if you buy raw meat home, do you mince the meat before you freeze it or do you freeze in chunks and mince after you thaw it subsequently? Is there any difference in taste?

autumn82

Just curious, if you buy raw meat home, do you mince the meat before you freeze it or do you freeze in chunks and mince after you thaw it subsequently? Is there any difference in taste?
Usually when I buy, I will mince it up, pack seperately then freeze it. Not sure if there's a difference coz I never tried freeze w/o mincing it 1st. :001_302:

camom

Tks! I also do the same but was wondering if it'll taste nicer to thaw then mince cos I find that with thawed minced meat, the amt of liquid exuded when it thaws seemed to be more.

autumn82

thanks! I also do the same but was wondering if it'll taste nicer to thaw then mince cos I find that with thawed minced meat, the amt of liquid exuded when it thaws seemed to be more.
:err::err::err:I guess the difference in taste isn't that much... :tlaugh::tlaugh:

diymummy

Usually I will portion the meat in chunks then freeze. I will steam the meat in frozen state then mince it using a hand blender when cooked.

It's easier to mince when the meat is cooked than when it's still raw I feel.

JazzJewel

hello all, my Gwen is 9 mths old now.. Have been feeding porridge x 1 feed since 7 mths old and 2 feeds after 8mths old. This is how i prepare the meat for her meals:

Buy fresh meat $3 worth (Bak Tau - Meat Head (haha.. my literal translation) from market. I chose Bak Tau cos lesser fats. Slice them up before mincing them. Once the mincing is done, i will make them into meatballs. Will then lay them nicely into those ziplock bags (sandwich size) in batches. The butcher taught me not to stack the meat up. Just lay the meatballs individually. When cooking the porridge, just pop one into the porridge. $3 worth usually can last me 1 wk.

I dont let Gwen eat the meat when she was about 7 mths old cos worried she cant digest them. Hence, during that stage, i merely slice the pork and throw into the porridge to get the flavour. Now that she's older, i will feed her the finely minced meat for the nutrients.