Primary 1 registration for Kids born in 2005

Daddy D

Alpha Male
My cousin did PV and grassroot to increase their chances of enroling their son there!
Tell me abt it...
got rejected for PV... TMD... goes to show that even teacher wants to do PV also no chance...
Not tat we're eyeing for it's popularity... rather for the convenience/proximity...
TMD..... yaya papaya sch...

Olive

Hi Ladies,

Why not pop down to a free seminar organised by MOE this Sat, 30th Jan?
It'll be a gopd starting point.

Below are the details. Do register soon! :)

Preparing Your Child for Primary Education
~ A Parent Seminar by Ministry of Education ~

Starting primary school is a big step in your child's life. To help you better understand primary school programmes and enable you to make key education decisions, the Ministry of Education will be conducting a seminar on Primary School Education. At the seminar, parents can look forward to sharing sessions by the school principal and a parent volunteer, as well as view the various programmes our primary schools provide.

The Primary Education System and Primary One Registration
Mrs Mary Ngiam, Principal, Princess Elizabeth Primary School

The Primary School years are focused on giving students a good grasp of English Language, Mother Tongue and Mathematics; as well as helping children build character and cultivate good values and habits. Mrs Ngiam will share with parents an overview of Primary School education. Parents will also learn about the registration process and what they need to take note of when registering their child for Primary One.

Choosing a Primary School and Supporting Your Child in Primary School
Mrs Veron Sim, MOE Parent Ambassador

With the right support from parents and schools, children will be able to adapt well and build a strong foundation for the rest of their education. Mrs Sim will share practical tips on selecting a primary school and how to prepare your child for school so that he or she can have an enjoyable school experience.

Seminar Details
Free Admission
Date : 30 January 2010, Saturday
Time : 0900 – 1230
(Registration starts from 0830 onwards)
Venue : Princess Elizabeth Primary School
30, Bukit Batok West Avenue 3, Singapore 659163

Registration

To register, please email the following details to registration@olivegrp.com
• Name of participant/s
• Contact No
Tel: 6325 6030
Closing date: 27 January 2010, Wednesday

Project Showcase

Primary schools in the vicinity will be showcasing their schools' niche programmes to give parents a better idea of the programmes our schools offer.

Participating Schools

• Bukit Timah Primary
• Bukit View Primary
• Dazhong Primary
• Hong Kah Primary
• Keming Primary
• Lianhua Primary
• Princess Elizabeth Primary
• St Anthony's Primary

apollo

i wanna ask, if i'm an ex-student of tt sch, but i DONT stay within 1km, still got chance right? just tt if i join the alumni, chances will be higher?

stonston

i wanna ask, if i'm an ex-student of that sch, but i DONT stay within 1km, still got chance right? just that if i join the alumni, chances will be higher?
This is like 99.99% can get in whether you join Alumni or not.

Once you are ex-student, you can stay at the opposite end of Singapore and still get a place for your child.

iamblessed

My boy is born in 2005. IMHO, it's really hard to get into a good school. If the chances are low, I will work from home and consider the option of homeschooling.

stonston

Homeschooling is not easy.
Not only do you need to plan the curriculum to ensure that they are getting well rounded knowledge, you also need to consider their social and emotional health too.

There isnt much support in SG for homeschooling unlike US. And it's not easy to cross the red tape on compulsory education.

Another factor is that they must take PSLE even if they are homeschooled and must pass it. Are you confident in preparing your kids for PSLE?

I also wish to homeschool my boy. However, after careful research and speaking to parents, we decided not to.
Even if can't get a good school, go neighbourhood school but spend more time and effort revising and teaching my boy will be our solution. And I'm starting to work from home already, so we are prepared for that :)

CanCanMum

one of my close friend's sister had homeschooled her 2 kids, but shes stayin in Ipoh, taking SG syllabus and following SG education standards.

seriously i think alot of discipline is needed for homeschooling, its not easy. He said his sister had gathered a few groups of parents and form a support group for that, in order to spread the resources hunting and gather all info together.

so far i have not heard of any parents here in SG doing homeschooling, or perhaps i have not met them or anyone whom i noe of as yet.

iamblessed

I happened to come across a support group for homeschooling in Singapore. Their website is Singapore Homeschooling Group - Home

As a trained NIE teacher (but no longer teaching in schools now), I should be competent enough to carry my son through PSLE. Social and emotional aspect, I will attempt to meet with others who are home-schoolers as well so my boy will have some company.

It is the disciplining at home and passing MOE's regulations that are difficult. But then again, some lessons are most fun when conducted spontaneously.

MsKoh1973

I have started to keep copies of MOE's result for the various phases and also if balloting, is 1km or wat........

think my side very diff to get into Hong Wen, cos i stay w/t 1 to 2 km...this year 2C only for ballot w/t 1km

considering going to neigbourhoond school like Bendemeer Pr, noted since they change principal 1 year + ago, their PSLE result has improved.

Frankly speaking, I also don't have much choice left, I am working, need to take care of own kid and my sister 2 kids, if sent too far away, oso not easy to manage

J82

Still left 6 mths to registration...
Time really flies...
Anybody going to register in Bukit Panjang PS?

michellechin

side-track a bit... but can anyone comment or tell me is it advisable to withdraw a child from current pre-school and fully concentrate by sending her to enrichment classes to prep for P1? Currently my girl is in K2 at My First Skool. Thought of directing her to either home-tutoring or enrichment classes to prep for P1. Any other mommies doing so?

And, speaking of registering our kids for P1 next year, what are my options or possibility to get into a school located in ang mo kio when i'm staying in woodlands? Can i say "nil"? Nothing can be done ar? And, which school in woodlands have gd teachers, principal and produce high-achievers? Any idea abt the new innova primary? btw, is it a must to do pv? sure better chance to get into school ar? if yes, when is the registration to do pv and how long in advance must start doing pv?

thanks very much!

stonston

Michelle, if you think that you are able to monitor your girl's progress at home/enrichment classes better, then it may be beneficial. Honestly, my students learn faster and better coming for tuition than in school setting (too distracting).

For registration at AMK schools, it totally depends on the school's balloting history. If the school does not need balloting at all, then should not be a problem getting a place. However, if the school is a 'popular' school, then you might need to try different methods such as PV to get priority registration. For PV, ideally is to register in Jan of the year your child turn 4yo (to be KS) or 5yo. There is a selection/interview process and you must start clocking in hours at least 1 year before the registration in June the year your child turns 6yo. If your girl is currently in K2, it's going to be difficult to be accepted as PV at the last minute. Plus you will need a lot of effort to clear your 40 hours (80 for more popular schools).

esteelim

I must be the slowest, un-updated parent - doing dis-service to my 2005 son! So, what do I do now. We initially thot we'll apply for Fairfield Methodist Pri Sch for my son. Are we permitted to rent a place closer to school when we register this July? We have to wait out our new apt (only 1st year).

esteelim

Yes, you need to get ready to register your daughter this July. Just not sure what is the deadline. Not sure when will balloting be (if any). Will the results of balloting be out on the day of balloting?

My husband just registered us for the MOE's Parent Seminar coming up on 26 Feb 2011. Son's schooling is priority, nobody will be celebrating my b'day. :(

Last edited:

KVK

I was still thinking whether to go for this Parenting Seminar cos the schools representatives that will be there is not the school that im enrolling for my girl.
So which school are u gg to register for ur son?

esteelim

Possibly one of the Methodist school to give him a good environment, hopefully the school living it up to the values & mission they promote.

stonston

Estee, are you and your family baptised Christians serving in a Methodist church currently? If yes, you can get priority registration under Phase 2B (affiliation to all Methodist Schools in Singapore). However, for some schools, this phase is also rather 'hot' and if you are not staying near the school, you will also be subjected to balloting.

esteelim

Yes, we have been attending a Methodist for 2+ yrs, part of a cell group and serving in church, we're always conscious of reaching out to our pre-believing neighbours or my hubby's colleagues, but realised recently that our pastor expect us to attend corporate prayers regularly in order to attain membership. Not sure if we want to pursue membership for all these "man-made" reasons. We're happy enough to just serve as the Spirit prompts, no other reasons.

Issue aside, I realised too late that we need to stay close to sch of choice and not keen in purchasing in this high priced market.

We realised as 'mature' parents, we're also slow and not savvy with all the rules & registration for pri sch admission. Sometimes, wonder why S'pore govt institute so much 'maze' for parents to go through. Life can be simpler and less stress-strap. No wonder the young couples are averse to having more children or even any. However, I am still thankful that God bless us with this impt responsibility. Wish to have one more but, my time's up. Still, thankful enough.

I thot balloting will happen whether staying within 1km or not. Just that 1km will put you in greater advantage.

Last edited: