Probiotics! - Read this!

Mum2Matty

Looking at the infinitely soft, dimpled skin of your baby’s body, pumping bacteria into it on a daily basis may seem an unnatural thing to do.
Yet, human beings cannot live without bacteria, and nature has arranged it so that the good bacteria (probiotics) work with us to keep the bad guys at bay.

Newborn babies get their first dose of bacteria as they pass through the birth canal, and from then, colonies of over 400 types of bacteria begin to form. It’s a slow process, but speeds up dramatically once solid foods are introduced into the diet.

The need for supplements
But if probiotics are so natural, why is there a sudden increase in the number of products on the market that offer to increase the bacteria population of our intestines?

The reasons can be outlined as follows:
  • Research methods are more advanced, offering the opportunity to create effective new products and present them in new dosage forms.
  • South Africa now has more contact with the outside world than a decade ago and we are exposed to new products from elsewhere.
  • Research indicates that our modern lifestyle and fast-food diets are not conducive to healthy intestinal flora colonies.
  • The widespread use of antibiotics for every ailment is playing havoc with the good bacteria, which is wiped out as effectively as the bad they’re aimed at destroying.
Safety considered
At what stage can we use these products for our children? If safety is our main concern, there should be no problem. Historically, bacteria have been used in the dairy industry for over a hundred years.
The best probiotics have been tested on pregnant women and on children of all ages including newborns, with no negative side-effects reported.
Depending on the health of your baby, whether you’re breastfeeding and how he or she is cared for, there may be added reasons to consider a daily dose of probiotics.

Probiotics for babies
Diarrhoea is one of South Africa’s biggest causes of death among children under the age of five. Unable to replace fluids, babies become weak and dehydrated, and the results are tragic. It is in terms of prevention and treatment (in conjunction with oral rehydration solution) of babies with diarrhoea that probiotics work their magic most startlingly.

In one study, children aged between six and 36 months, who were hospitalised with diarrhoea, were split into two groups. One group received a probiotic called Lactobacillus reuteri and the other a placebo. Both groups also took an oral rehydration solution, essential for anyone with diarrhoea.

By the second day, the recovery rate of the probiotic group was remarkable compared to the control group.

Even when a baby has recovered from acute diarrhoea, like rotavirus diarrhoea, there is sometimes invisible damage to the digestive tract. This can cause problems with the digestion of the milk protein lactose, even if the baby tolerated milk-based formula with no problem previously.
Ongoing treatment with probiotics can help to break down the milk sugar, improving the baby’s lactose tolerance. The colonies of good bacteria will re-establish and provide the natural digestive assistance needed.

The role of modern-day living
While infections causing diarrhoea are more common in disadvantaged areas where clean water may not be freely available, people living with all the modern conveniences have other problems.

According to a theory called the hygiene hypothesis, babies who are born in very clean hospitals and come home to sparkling clean homes that are swabbed down with disinfectant may be more prone to develop allergies.
A study is currently underway that aims to show how probiotic supplementation from day one can reduce the incidence of allergies by exposing the baby to bacteria. In this way, researchers hope to prove that the immune system is stimulated as it would be if the baby was exposed to bacteria in a less clean setting.

Probiotics are already known to stimulate the immune system through direct stimulation of the cytokines that act as messengers within the immune system.

One study of infants aged four to 10 months aimed to discover exactly how effective probiotics would be in preventing a commonly recurring infection known as Crèche Syndrome.
Groups of daycare infants were given two different types of probiotics, while a control group received no special treatment. Both probiotic groups fared well, with significantly fewer antibiotics being prescribed to those babies, implying that their overall health improved.

Help for thrush
Another common problem of babyhood that may be reduced by probiotics is thrush, also known as Candida or yeast infection.

Candida is a common yeast organism that lives in all our bodies. The yeast is usually kept under control by the good bacteria. Babies are more susceptible to Candida because bottles and teats provide the perfect environment for the organism to grow. Antibiotics can also result in yeast overgrowth, as both good and bad bacteria are destroyed, but Candida is not.

Some probiotics produce a natural substance called reuterin that helps eliminate yeast infections.

By simply sucking a probiotic chew tablet (or in the case of a baby, by crushing a tablet and rubbing it into the baby's mouth) the bacteria will act in the mouth and throat area.
This should be continued for a week after the thrush symptoms have disappeared.

Probiotics and toddlers
As your baby develops into a toddler, the world becomes more open to him, and the challenges his health faces, change.

While he will have a more thriving intestinal flora colony, he will possibly be going to play school for the first time. This is where children pick up many infections, and a strong immune system is crucial.

Your child may also have become a fussy eater as do many children as they realise they have a choice. If he’s not eating a diet that contains enough vegetables and fruit, he may not have the right food stuff to feed his bacteria colony.

Replenishing with a probiotic supplement is one way to keep his immune system strong while he comes around to the joys of broccoli.
The cycle of ear infections, antibiotics and more ear infections is all too familiar to mothers of toddlers, many of whom end up with grommets.

Introducing probiotics during and after antibiotic treatment may help to reduce repeat infections by building up the immune system after antibiotics have done their work.

Are all probiotics identical?
Not all probiotics are the same, as they can be made from a number of different strains. Here are a few pointers when buying probiotics:
  • Look for one that is a human strain, clearly identified with a registration number from an international culture bank such as the American Type Culture Collection (e.g. ATTC 55730). Human-strain probiotics originate from breast milk or from the intestine itself. They are then grown in fermenters to produce enough for large scale production.
  • Good probiotics will have passed safety tests and have good, proven shelf life. With the pharmacist’s help, you should choose a probiotic that can survive in the acidic environment of the stomach as it passes through on its way to the intestine. An effective probiotic will deliver 100 million cfu of good bacteria.
An independent study published in the South African Medical Journal a few years ago drew attention to the fact that not all probiotics are equal and that even if you read the label you can’t be sure you’re getting what you’re promised. Other similar international studies had shown that few products really contained what the label claimed.
The evaluation of some of the products available on the South African market shows a similar trend. Presently, our regulation is such that products listed as food supplements don’t have to undergo scrutiny before being put on the pharmacy shelves. Studies like these go a long way to help inform the consumer.

It has also been shown that some yoghurts offer a probiotic benefit, but that few deliver the consistency of dose or shelf life of a dry supplement

How easy is it to use?
  • Probiotics come in capsules, powder form, liquid oil drops, tasty chew tablets and even in drinking straws that are simply popped into the baby or toddler’s drink.
  • Probiotics are tasteless and can easily be mixed into milk or juice without the baby noticing.
  • Most pharmacies now offer a range of probiotics, so ask your pharmacist's advice about the best product for your child’s specific needs and which ones meet the criteria of a good probiotic. Also make sure there is an ATTC number on the label.

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
Re: Priobiotics! - Read this!

wow! great writeup... where did you find the info? thanks for sharing!!

Mum2Matty

Did a search on the web.

Just to share, you can get BabyLife Probiotics from GNC, they keep it in the fridge to keep the good bacteria "alive". If you are going shopping, make GNC your last stop before you go home, ask them to pack in a styrofoam box for you to keep it cool. When you reach home, put it in the fridge.

So if you do mix it in milk, do not use very hot water.

stonston

GNC also got sell colostrum with probiotics powder....good for mummies who did not bf or stopped bf their children...can order online for less than half e price GNC is selling....

Gaill

Thanks M2M. All the answers to my ???? here....

The GNC colostrom I have come in powder form..., so I guess I don't have to refrigerate it right?

One more question though - do they have to take this on a regular basis?

elmo168

I got the probotics from my PD. It can be keep in room temp but once seal is break, you have to keep it inside the fridge. But I ensure it is inside the fridge and not at the rack on the fridge door because moisture condensation will occurs when the probiotics are taken in and out of the refrigerator.

The crucial point is that probiotics should be dispensed in the same temperature environment that it is used to store them. This is to minimise moisture condensation that can result in spoilage.

So,buy the highest bacteria count you can afford to ensure that at least many bacteria are still viable at the time of consumption.

Last but not least, buy the smallest bottle / quantity available.

zputriz

just last wk i wen to e doc cos my son fever n loose stool, so doc prescribed 'LACTOGUARD' a type of prebiotics too.. a dollar per pack of powder sachet.. banana flavour.. kinda gd, cos myson also tummy prob sometimes n love to ask fd from mummyn daddy when we eat.. so u know la,when all kinds of fd get mixed up in the tummy, he gets tummy upset..

Jane Chow

Wow...thanks for the info..Mum2Matty
My DD has diarrhoea once in every 2-3 mths...sigh...so my PD has recommend to give her a 2 mths course of prebiotics to bluid up her immune system...i am quite reluctant cos not sure whether to give such stuff at young age...after reading the info...i think i am more comfortable with giving prebiotics to DD...

stonston

This whole brain Children programmes is quite interesting and would like to share with mummies.This rethinking school provide an interactive research approach that introduces powerful words recognition through memory and thematic exercises.

They posted lots of live videos on the web that
you can see kids learning in the class.

site: Brain Hemisphere Research
video blog: www.mbespace.com
Can you stop spamming? The whole forum already knows BHR & you are spoiling your own reputation cos all of us are irritated by your random posts which are not related to the topic. Just post in the relevant threads/topics & people will see.

Wow i'm so amazed at how helpful this site has been! Newbie here :p

I've been trying to find out more cos my girl often has gas in her tummy n gets stomach upset now n then. Thanks for the info! I know this thread is a bit old, but the info is still v useful!!

MommyK

Probiotics to me = miracle powder!

On reccomendation from our family GP, i gave K some of Inner Health Plus for Kids probiotics powder in his mashed banana. His diarrhea, which has been ongoing for a while ,completely stopped within a couple of hours when administered to him. I am one who is hesitant to take any sort of drugs (u'll have to twist an arm and a leh to give me a panadol for a headache!) unless proven necessary (or desperate lol). To each its own of course. So probiotics for me was a big plus!

It is said to be also good for children with eczema, but don't quote me on that, I have yet to do any research on how true that is.

clearjade

My PD prescribed a probiotic for my son. It's called reutefene drops. Lactobacillus reuteri. Think the brand is biogaia.
My PD also suggested Biogaia, been giving it to my boy to help with digestion and wind problems so that he can sleep better (we hope!).

bbloelim

hi mummies

i intend to buy gnc colostrum w probiotics. but im thinking if bb consume too much of probiotics, can not huh??
my gal stomach owaes not very good. pd gave biogaia, a probotics in oil drop, so everyday 5drops..
then i wana add the gnc colostrum.. can?? will it be too much?
and i oso wana buy the multivitamins.. but some mummies said bb r stil young for supplements.
my gal is going to b 7mths. wana build up her immune system as im sending her to infant care in 2 weeks time..

pls advice me :)

Amulet

wonder any mommies had used probiotics on their infants to fight colic?

had read an article that probiotics in young infants can actually reduce colic n thus the crying that comes with it too..

apollo

wonder any mommies had used probiotics on their infants to fight colic?

had read an article that probiotics in young infants can actually reduce colic n thus the crying that comes with it too..
i rmb last time my son was given probiotic by his pediatrician when he has colic and reflux. but only took it for a few weeks.. but if ask me to give w/o dr's prescription, i dont think i will, though is supplement.. =)