Pros and Cons in Registering Natural Father in Birth Cert

SingaporeanPR

Dear all,

Can you please let me know the Pros and Cons of registering the natural father in the BC of a child of a Single Mother?

From my understanding:

1. A Single Mother need not state who the natural father is on the BC
  2. The surname of the child follows that of the mother
  3. Subsequently, if the father's name is to be filled in, a DNA test needs to be performed to prove paternity
The pros of not stating the father's name are:

1. If the natural father does not want to be involved in the child's life, it makes sense for the mother to have complete custody and discretion, especially in granting approvals and consent (e.g., at school)
  2. The natural father can still add his name subsequently, following a paternity test.
The cons for not stating the father's name are:

1. The mother of the child cannot claim maintenance from the natural father
  2. Social stigma of not having the father's name in the BC
Are there any other considerations?

xiaodaisy

what u stated is almost clear already .. its up to urself in the end to put or not to put

for me personally , i dont need any maintenance fm the father so i wont include his name at all , not wanna give him a chance to ever fight for me for my child if one day he regretted =)

KAmum

I kinda regretted not putting... As bf n i are not married and underage, mum didnt let me as shes afraid his parents will come fight for custody of their granddaughter because they said im not a good mum and they can take better care.of her.than i can. So in order not to let bf family fight w.me , i decide not t put his name until we get.married. But at ICA the woman say DNA test $100?!?????!!!! :S :(

zane80

I kinda regretted not putting... As bf n i are not married and underage, mum didnt let me as shes afraid his parents will come fight for custody of their granddaughter because they said im not a good mum and they can take better care.of her.than i can. So in order not to let bf family fight w.me , i decide not t put his name until we get.married. But at ICA the woman say DNA test $100?!?????!!!! :S :(

About the last part that cost $100, is it done at HSA? If is only cost $100, it might not even be accurate. That is dangerous.

KAmum

zane80:667770 said:

About the last part that cost $100, is it done at HSA? If is only cost $100, it might not even be accurate. That is dangerous.
its done at ICA i think???? ps its not $100 its $1,000.

-SRI-

The cost of DNA test will be ard $1K for 3 person (Father, Mother & Baby). Exact amt when I asked HSA (yr 2008) is $971.

If the mother wants to put Biological Father's name on the birth cert, she can do so. But the father must be present to take oath & declare that he's the biological father. This can be done at ICA.

However for me personally this won't be convenient for us (if u dun intend to get married) esp when it comes to registering for the child to enrol in CC/pri 1 as we might need the consent of the father (cz birth cert stated his name).

When it comes to maintenance, as long as we can prove the paternity of the child (if he denies the paternity then hv to do DNA test), we can claim maintenance frm our ex.

No matter what, the biological father can assess (see) the child unless he nvr impose any danger to the child. He have to follow the court order/mutual agreement between u & him.

Custody wise, the father can contest for it. For me, as long as we can take care of our child & financially stable, most likely custody will be given to us esp if the father didn't contribute anything during your pregnancy.

We can also ask the father to pay the checkup fees (must keep the original receipts/invoices) during court hearing.

KAmum

Now Im worried my bf's name on the b/c whn we get married lol cuz ICA says they have the right not to agree to it or somethng?? :0

KAmum

zane80:669214 said:
Now Im worried my bf's name on the b/c whn we get married lol cuz ICA says they have the right not to agree to it or somethng?? :0
Why would they not agree? Is the child born in Singapore or other countries?
singaporean. Idk the woman at ica say they may or may not agree depending on case by case basis or smth???

LynDanial

When i make my boy's bc, i didn't include the father's name then after we got married and wanna insert father's name, ica say must take dna test but we appeal against that and was told that we need to provide enough prove that he is my boy's father then we don't need to go for dna... We submit photos taken together, my baby's photo and also the father's photo when he was a baby... Since they look identical, ica approve our application without dna test... ^_^

Onlyme

I was told that if the bc includes the biological father name when they are not married, the biological father cannot married other woman, it sound ridiculous to me though but anyone knows if it true?