Pupsik Pouch or MIM Sling?

Dear all mummies i ,m a 1st time mum to a 1mth n 2 wks old baby. i would like to know more abt a pouch or sling ? Bought a maclaren stroller which is for use only when bb is 3mths old n above therefore in e interim i wld like to get a carrier so that i can go out n use it instd o carrying bb on hand all e time n also i,m able to travel nearby with bb. Read from forum that these 2 brands Pupsik or MIM sling n pouches are pretty popular with mummies therefore i also intend to get either 1 o these brands but wld like to know more before getting it. My questions as follows:

1) Are sling n pocuhes the same? sling =got a ring to adjust n pouch =?

2) both is to b used across the body right? works e same lah

3) both sling or pouch can b used from birth to 2okg?

4) both brands carry pouches n slings range?

5) where can i purchase these 2 brands- shopping mall, kiddy palace,mothercarre , showroom or online?

thks ........

meiteoh

1) Sling has a ring; pouch has just an opening. Only a sling requires you to adjust.

2) Yes, both are draped across the body.

3) Yes.

4) MIM carries both pouch and ring sling; Pupsik sells only pouches.

5) Anywhere really - Mothercare, MIM showroom/website, Pupsik website, etc.

Below is a pic of me using both MIM ring sling (left) and Pupsik pouch (right). I prefer the pouch for now because it's easier for me to "dump" her in whereas with the sling, I have to adjust fabric and such. BUT in terms of security, the sling is way better - no big openings. :D It's a personal preference, IMHO.

hi meiteoh thks for ur post w picts sumore it really helps. ok nw my question is as follows:

1) nt sure if u shares e same tots as me hmmmm - for NB to use sling or pouch is nt good for their backbone / spine development? i,m worried abt that since e carrier is just a piece o cloth therefore theres no support for bb's back? when used bb like curl up like a prawn nt gd in e long run?

2) is it secured using e sling ? i mean will e ring give way ? @ lest for pouch theres no opening rite so e whole thing wont give way mah?

3) in ur opinon sling or pouch is better in term o weight distrubution after a while ?

4) i see a lot o mum using sliing instd o pouches any comment abt this ?

thks

bellerichez

I've got a sling but i don't really know how to use it. Meiteoh, how do u sling your baby so nicely? Yesterday went shopping and saw one mummy using pouch for her baby girl and i tot of getting it. BTW how much does a Pupsik pouch cost?

Last edited:

meiteoh

pinkkitty,

1) IMHO, it's okay for spine or back development (have had a LOT of older people come and ask me that question) - don't forget that your newborn spent 9 mths curled up like a ball! Besides, they don't spend 100% of their time in a ring sling. It's actually more important to support the neck for newborns rather than the back.

2) I actually find the sling more secure than the pouch because I can tighten it to the point where Eva looks like she's wrapped up like a bak chang. But the same safety rules apply when using both the sling and pouch - when you bend, you bend with your knees and make sure to hold your baby otherwise they can fall out.

3) Weight distribution is the same for me - one side.

4) It's a personal preference - a lot of people feel that a sling is a good buy because both father and mother can wear it and there is no sizing, so it's easier to buy. Many also feel that a sling can be worn in a few different styles and ways plus is better for toddler use than a pouch. This I can't comment on coz my baby is just 4 months plus!

bellerichez, what I do is loop the tail in the rings first, then adjust the ruffle of the fabric before putting the sling on. It's easier to adjust and is neater as well. Then after I put her in, I pull the excess and then knot it around the sling to shorten it plus the excess acts like a cushion for Eva's head. Pupsik pouches retail for around $45.

Since getting the pouch though, I haven't used the sling coz Eva sleeps for much longer in it plus it's slightly easier to get her in.