Pushing too hard for academic success?

Simplyher

My little girl, Qila proclaimed loudly the other day that she scored rather well for her Booklet A Maths and Malay. She was looking for some form of approval from the way she looked at me as she made the annoucement. I nodded and gave her a warm smile exclaiming "Well Done, Qila!". I can't help feeling a little guilty at the fact that I pushed her too hard..sometimes I wonder if it is necessary - but I also do not want her to lose out in the competition for academic excellence! But really are we pushing our children too hard? Will it make a society of ple who achieve academic success yet lack socil responsibility? Any thoughts?:wong29:

jedamum

My little girl, Qila proclaimed loudly the other day that she scored rather well for her Booklet A Maths and Malay. She was looking for some form of approval from the way she looked at me as she made the annoucement. I nodded and gave her a warm smile exclaiming "Well Done, Qila!". I can't help feeling a little guilty at the fact that I pushed her too hard..sometimes I wonder if it is necessary - but I also do not want her to lose out in the competition for academic excellence! But really are we pushing our children too hard? Will it make a society of ple who achieve academic success yet lack socil responsibility? Any thoughts?:wong29:
i think pushing hard is a way of us trying to uncover our kids' potential. if you are worried about the lack of social responsibilities, you can instill them while at the same time still emphasize on academic importance. They are not contradictary wat. :wong6:

had been thinking of this issue since last wed when I overheard a mother /daughter in a nursing room... for more details can refer to the first blog below in my signature.

Anyway... I think, we are all been pushed to a corner whereby we have to push our children to excel. Schools claiming all sorts of results are sprouting everywhere and that sort of make us wonder are we doing enough as a parent.

for example, if i don't send my dd to any enrichment classes but all her peers are attending this and that classes, suddenly I will doubt whether am i short changing my dd....

tamarind

My girl, now 4 years old, attends nursery school every day, also attends Montessori phonics class and Berries Chinese both once a week. My boy only attends pre-nursery daily, no other enrichment classes yet. I know of other kids who attend many more enrichment classes, on top of swimming and music lessons.

I don't think that I am pushing my girl at all. She enjoys going to both her enrichment classes very much. She learns very well in a classroom environment, and she enjoys the company of other kids. I find the classes very very beneficial for her.

The thing is most parents like to compare their kids with other kids, then end up pushing our own kids to do as well. We must always remember not to compare.

vion

Sometimes we as parents dun really hv a choice. Results does make a difference. Even if we dun compare, others will.

My 2 dds (7yo n 5yo) both like to ask me to buy assessment books for them. I'll buy for them but won't go thru everything with them. They will do it at their own pace n approach me to ask questions.

Both dds r now attending Chinese characters recognition class. Younger dd oso attending phonics n reading classes. They like the class n it makes a difference. Both of them oso attending ballet classes on saturdays.

I'm trying to tk things easy as long as it's not really tt bad:wong31: