Q: Policy for carrying formula on board plane.

saralee

Dear mummies

I will be going for a trip to Perth with my 6 month old son. Can any mummy advice what is the policy for carrying formula on board plane. How much am i allowed to carry on?

Thanks and cheers!

ginko

Hi saralee, I usually bring the quantity that my baby is going to drink + 1 or 2 extra just in case (depending of the length of the flight). There is no policy on the quantity you can bring on the plane. You can bring one tin of formula milk if you want. But don't bring the water. You ask for water once in the plane.

I know that you can't bring food into Australia. You may check with the Australian ambassy what's the policy for baby formula.

gumbokins

Hi hi

As long as you have the baby and the formula together, it's OK. Some airports may be more strict than others, of course, but when I went to the US and Perth they let me pass without much problems. I mixed a bottle just before I got on the flight, and kept it in plain view of the customs officers.

Asking for water on the plane might be a hassle, esp. if it's a full flight and the cabin crew is really busy. they might not be able to get it at the right temp for you.

Some formulas come ready-to-drink, like pediasure and enfalac? You could consider those as well?

When you reach Australia immigration, just declare the infant formula. I brought about a few unopened 400g tins for my trip there,.Even then, not enough, had to buy some more there. Their FM selection is quite narrow.

Enjoy your trip! :D

saralee

Thanks mummy ginko and mummy gumbokins. Really much appreciate your advices. From singapore boarding , am I allowed to make the formula first before entering boarding gate? Did thought of sourcing those liquid milk but I guess we can't carry in liquid too.

gumbokins

Yup I made a bottle just before boarding. Just keep it close with your baby and ask if not sure. At most they will ask you to empty it, not much to lose.

ginko

Thanks mummy ginko and mummy gumbokins. Really much appreciate your advices. From singapore boarding , am I allowed to make the formula first before entering boarding gate? Did thought of sourcing those liquid milk but I guess we can't carry in liquid too.
You are allowed to bring water in baby bottles but show it when you board. So you are allowed to mix the formula before boarding. But your baby must drink it within 30 mn to 1 hour. Otherwise, it's not advised to mix the formula milk and the water. You can't keep it, even in a fridge. I've never had problem to have warm water to make the milk for my baby in a plane. I travelled short and long distance and always had the warm water whenever I asked for it, usually within 5 mn. And no problem for the temperature. Anyway, a baby can drink a cold formula milk. If you know what time is the feeding time for your baby, you can anticipate it and ask for the warm water when you know that the flight attendants are not too busy: usually, not when they are serving meals, not when the plane is taking off or landing. Otherwise, you just go to the cabin crew quarter and ask for some water. They will give it to you immediately.

Give milk or water to drink for your baby when the plane takes off or lands as it helps him not to feel the pressure in the ears. If I don't have water for my baby, I usually ask the flight attendant to fill the baby bottle as soon as I board in the plane or before the plane lands.

saralee

Thank you so much mummies! At least I have a clear picture on what I could do. Really appreaciate 

CarolOng

No prob. I brought a brand new tins of formula on-board. When they ask, then i told them it's for my baby. Mine was a short flight so i didn't prepare any milk on-board. But i seriously think that it's fine. I even brought along my girl's water bottle & hot water flask.

enjoy yr trip!