Question on Breastfeeding my 2mth old boy

hi mommies, need your advise:

1. my boy only feed 10-12min for the past 2weeks compared to 25-45min before.. is this normal??

2. my boy get 1 feed of formula once at 3am(hubby's duty) however he's starting to reject the bottle, he spits and refuse to suck. i tried giving EBM but breastmilk makes my boy hungry fast and i do need my 5-6hours of good sleep at night.. any solution??

3. my boy only pass motion once in every 2-3days is this ok??

4. sometimes i feel this crampy feeling like menses on my lower tummy which lasted a few hours, is this normal? could it be the uterus contracting?? but it's been 8weeks since i gave birth..

your advise will be much appreciated :)

Feliz

Hello darling.. Let me share with u my girl problem also..

1. my boy only feed 10-12min for the past 2weeks compared to 25-45min before.. is this normal??
Edlycia also feed for less den 10mins, once in e blue moon she would drink up to 20mins..

2. my boy get 1 feed of formula once at 3am(hubby's duty) however he's starting to reject the bottle, he spits and refuse to suck. i tried giving EBM but breastmilk makes my boy hungry fast and i do need my 5-6hours of good sleep at night.. any solution??
Edlycia having FM once in e night which is 12am-1am and she will slp thru till about 7-8am for another feed.. Edlycia hav been rejecting e bottle or wil neve finish her 3oz of milk till nw.. tried to change to a diff brand (NUK), same also cant finish.. Before she could slp thru out e night, in e middle of night she wouldnt want to open her mouth aft drinkin mayb 2oz or less and she would fuss n cry.. aft afew time, i realise that she cranky cos she wanna slp instead of drinkin milk.. -_-"
I called up dumex to check if its ok for edlycia to poo only 2-3days, they reply saying its normal.. So don hav to worry.. :001_302:

4. sometimes i feel this crampy feeling like menses on my lower tummy which lasted a few hours, is this normal? could it be the uterus contracting?? but it's been 8weeks since i gave birth..
For this i neve experience it myself so cant help..

catherlyn

i tbf my ger now. during nite time i will feed her 120ml ebm n usually she will sleep 3hrs or more. even if she woke up she also feed for a while like 5 to 10mins/breast then fall aslp again... i find that u mummies gv ur bb fm during nite feed. shall i also gv her fm? cos a bit reluctant to gv her fm..

adelynn

My understanding is that as babies grow older they become more 'proficient' at latching on and emptying our breasts, thus their feeding durations may shorten. Instead of looking at the duration, look for cues/indications that your baby's full/contented

My girl was like this and i was sleep deprived. my solution? I kept trying different bottles until suddenly 1 day we hit bingo! and thus, i got regained back my continuous sleep of 6 hours (best time of my life, never knew sleep could be so precious)

If your baby's fully breastfed, then it is alright. As long as he does not have any difficulties in passing motion, feeding well and contented, all's good. But be prepared each time he passes motion, it's a BIG bag of surprise for you :)

Hope these info i got off PDs/other mummies help

adelynn

i tbf my ger now. during nite time i will feed her 120ml ebm n usually she will sleep 3hrs or more. even if she woke up she also feed for a while like 5 to 10mins/breast then fall aslp again... i find that you mummies gv your baby fm during nite feed. shall i also gv her fm? cos a bit reluctant to gv her fm..
I think feeding FM or EBM is a personal choice. My mum believes feeding FM at night is more filling, thus the baby sleeps longer. My preference is for my girl to be fully BF, thus even if i bottle feed my girl, it is with EBM :)

uddermummy

Yup, bbs will take a shorter time to drink when they get older. My girl can finish her meals in about 5 mins on average. At first I was worried that she was not feeding enough, but she's growing, and seems happy and alert, so I gradually learnt to relax.

BBs sleep through the night when and if they are ready to, and not because they are fed formula, or cereals in a bottle. And by sleeping through the night, experts mean at least 5 hours at a stretch, not sleeping from night till morning. So if your bb can sleep for 5 hours at a stretch, she's allready considered sleeping through the night.

Actually, it's a myth that all bbs will sleep through the night at 3 mths old, cos research have found that only about half of them do so. The other half will still wake up on and off.

felzdown mommy, thanks for sharing.. our babies have similar habits yah..

adelynn mommy, my boy if almost fully breast fed cos only one feed of fm, yah i do get poo explosion everytime as he poo once in 2-3days..

it's actually not true that fm is more filling, i used to believed this when my boy used to sleep about 4hours after taking fm. but now, even when he fuss, my boy still gulped down 170ml of fm and it only last 2.5hours. just slightly longer than breast fed.

i will try to change my boy bottle brand to see if it makes it easier to feed the formula..

I think feeding FM or EBM is a personal choice. My mum believes feeding FM at night is more filling, thus the baby sleeps longer. My preference is for my girl to be fully BF, thus even if i bottle feed my girl, it is with EBM :)
i wanted to be like you.. but at the end of the day i can't express much cos my boy drinks 180-190ml now i only can express about 150ml.. so sad..

adelynn

adelynn mommy, my boy if almost fully breast fed cos only one feed of fm, yah i do get poo explosion everytime as he poo once in 2-3days..

it's actually not true that fm is more filling, i used to believed this when my boy used to sleep about 4hours after taking fm. but now, even when he fuss, my boy still gulped down 170ml of fm and it only last 2.5hours. just slightly longer than breast fed.

i will try to change my boy bottle brand to see if it makes it easier to feed the formula..
Hmms, i should tell my mum that to prove her wrong. But my girl on EBM at night can sleep for 4-6 hours in a row at night; so i'm contented :)

What bottle are you currently using? KK's LC told me pigeon teats are best used for breastfeeding babies;easier for them to accept the bottle. I didn't believe her then, tried Avent, NUK, Tommee Tippee, all didn't work finally used Pigeon, and i hit the jackpot! Should have listened to her in the first place, haha.

i wanted to be like you.. but at the end of the day i can't express much cos my boy drinks 180-190ml now i only can express about 150ml.. so sad..
Hmms, my girl don't drink as much as your boy. For her 4AM feed, she drinks max 80ML. I've been trying to introduce the bottle to her in the day to 'prepare' her for me going back to work so now is once per day. Each feed max 100ML but rarely can finish 100ML.

I've read somewhere that milk production is the best between 1AM to 5AM. I wake up everyday at 4AM-ish to express, and not sure if it's psychological but true enough it's my session with the most milk. I can yield 220ML to 320ML for the 4AM session.

Another thing i do to try and 'store power' is that after her day feeds if she don't empty my breasts, i will extract out what's remaining. Though not much, maybe ranging between 10ML to 40ML but if you accumulate, can become 1 feed. :)