questions on bf

Jojoai

Medela freestyle and pump in style what's th difference and which is better ? What is essential for bf ? Keeping ebm in plastic storage bags or th glass bottles ? And usually how old will you bf your baby to ? New to all this. (; so please help me. Thanks. :)

ast0212

Not sure about pumps and storage as I rarely expressed.

As for breastfeeding age it is up to you and baby. the World Health Organisation recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months (meaning no other food or water introduced) and for a period of at least 2 years.

I believe in child-led weaning so I will breastfeed till my children wean themselves (usually this will happen after 1 year old, not before 1) so my son decided to wean at 18 months.

Medela freestyle and pump in style what's th difference and which is better ? What is essential for bf ? Keeping ebm in plastic storage bags or th glass bottles ? And usually how old will you bf your baby to ? New to all this. (; so please help me. Thanks. :)
Hi Jojoai,

I've been pumping breastmilk for my baby born in Jan 2012. Hubby bought Philips single electric pump set for me. I have fixed it once before and now it's working well. I store my EBM in Philips AVENT plastic cups. I used to pump 6 times, then find 5 times as more comfortable for me during my maternity leave, then gradually reduce to 4 times before resuming work and since going back to work, been only pumping 3 times daily. My baby has always been on partial EBM & friso formula.

You may want to read up about the pros & cons of storing EBM in plastic storage bags versus storage cups.

Jojoai

Thanks mummies. Will consider to buy formular just in case. :) I'm afraid of plastic ones because of th material and all. ):

Thanks mummies. Will consider to buy formular just in case. :) I'm afraid of plastic ones because of th material and all. ):
Initially I didnt even buy a tin of formula... only after i went home with baby, hubby went to supermarket to buy. in hospital, baby was given the $1 ready-made milk. dont worry too much. can get help from lactation consultant. I went for a session with one. paid abt $80-90+ i think. cant rem if it was 1hr or so...

Jojoai

The lactation consultant will tell you what ? Really necessary to look for one ? Seems expensive leh !

ast0212

Just wondering, why would you need to buy formula?

Learn whatever you can about successful breastfeeding and you will not need formula :D it really helps to learn about breastfeeding as well as surround yourself with mothers who have breastfed successfully.

Formula really messes up a baby's gut flora as they have 'virgin' tummies that only breastmilk is perfect for.

Sad to hear that it costs money to see a lactation consultant in Singapore. Breastfeeding education and help should be free of charge!

Jojoai

Yeah. But I'm afraid of bf what If my bm too little ? What if my bm supply comes in late? Im so afraid of all this what if. ): 1st time mummy so I'm really very scared !

ast0212

Jojoai:655202 said:
Yeah. But I'm afraid of bf what If my bm too little ? What if my bm supply comes in late? Im so afraid of all this what if. ): 1st time mummy so I'm really very scared !
breastmilk supply works in a way that the more baby drinks, the more milk you will make. So the more you latch baby on (as babies are best at extracting milk) you will produce lots of milk! Really, trust your breasts! Complimenting formula with breastmilk often leads to low supply as baby is getting full on fm rather than bm, then will drink less bm..it's a vicious cycle.

Even if you milk comes in late you are producing colostrum which is the right amount for newborn babies. They dont need much in the early days- their stomach can only contain 5ml at a time. Supplementing with formula will be overfeeding baby! Their is no need for formula at all. Your body knows what it is doing! :D

i'm using pump in style advance. So far so good.

Actually babies have stored fats to last them for the first few days so there is no need for formula. Do bring the breast pump with you into the hospital so that you can further stimulate your breasts to encourage the milk to come faster.

I think buying the formula might lead you to feed the baby with formula, so it's better if you can insist on breastfeeding instead.

For storage, I got those avent plastic storage cups for the first few days. I'm still using them to store my EBM from work which I will use to feed the baby on the following day. For "cleaner" EBM that I expressed at home, I will store them in storage bags which I intend to keep for longer period of time.

Jojoai

Thanks mummies ! I feel relieved after what you guys said. Because sis in law couldn't do it. And mil and hubby not supportive. ): thanks mummies. :) wish me all th best ! Haha

lsy

Drink a lot of fluid like lactating milk, fish soup, hot Milo, red dates tea , soya bean or even water. I mean a lot in order to encourage milk supply.
Bf BB within 1 hour after delivery.
Best is room in and latch on demand till baby contented.
I know some baby latch almost every 15 mins for first few weeks. But by norm baby latches every 2hrs.
U want even more supply u pump after baby satisfied latching.
But do read up on following topic from LLL or kellymom website
- oversupply
- reject bottle
- introducing bottle feeding
- growth spurt
- guidelines for storing of ebm