Re: Any Mum Still Pumping Breast Milk While At Work?

floramay

reduce supply is one thing. the other thing u should watch out for is blocked ducts and engorgement.
Dont' wear wired bras for a start.

start lengthening the interval between expressing now. but the time u go back to work, baby will be starting solids soon so should be ok.
Hi Pinkapple,

I read your blog and knew that you are still breastfeeding your boy, super! Wonder how you do it to maintain the supply when u return to work? You still pumping at work and how many times are u pumping there? Did you have a bad engorgement when u retun to work as you can not let your boy to latch on?

Sorry for asking so many questions but really wish to continue bfing my boy.

pinkapple

oh no. I'm not breastfeeding my boy anymore. we stopped when he was 3 years 3 months 4 days old.

I'm now breastfeeding my girl who is 7 months old.

Supply was good, in fact great! (my freezer was so full I can't put another stuff besides milk and even invaded Hann's school freezer), when I was breastfeeding my 1st child, Hann. I really didn't do anything much, nor eat/drink anything special.
I returned to work at about 5mths and pump about 2 -3 times within my 11 work-hours.
then slowly reduced to pumping 1 -2 times a day and finally no pumping at work but only latch on in the morning and night.

didn't really have bad engorgement but kena quite a few times blocked ducts which developed into mastitis didn't pump in time and was wearing wired bra (no no!).

now breastfeeding my no.2, Jade but supply's not as good as before. just returned to work for about a month and my frozen stock is depleting fast!
haven't try my 101 ways to increase supply. (watch Jade's blog for that. still finding time to write.)

Most importantly I feel, is to make sure your fluid intake is high.

floramay

oh no. I'm not breastfeeding my boy anymore. we stopped when he was 3 years 3 months 4 days old.

I'm now breastfeeding my girl who is 7 months old.

Supply was good, in fact great! (my freezer was so full I can't put another stuff besides milk and even invaded Hann's school freezer), when I was breastfeeding my 1st child, Hann. I really didn't do anything much, nor eat/drink anything special.
I returned to work at about 5mths and pump about 2 -3 times within my 11 work-hours.
then slowly reduced to pumping 1 -2 times a day and finally no pumping at work but only latch on in the morning and night

didn't really have bad engorgement but kena quite a few times blocked ducts which developed into mastitis didn't pump in time and was wearing wired bra (no no!).

now breastfeeding my no.2, Jade but supply's not as good as before. just returned to work for about a month and my frozen stock is depleting fast!
have not't try my 101 ways to increase supply. (watch Jade's blog for that. still finding time to write.)

Most importantly I feel, is to make sure your fluid intake is high.
3 years plus is really super already! :notworthy:I only wish I can provide him as long as possible dun have high expectation also. If I am not wrong I am working the same profession as you... haha... my work schedule is very full so wonder if I have time to sneak out to pump... anyway will try my best! Still figuring where can I hide and pump :001_07:

tzlwin12

hello...

For me, back to work for 5 weeks ago and still pumping... but only at lunch time and sometimes in toilet n sometimes in the meeting room. Of course, it is really rushing lunch time, eat fast, drink fast and pump fast. it's our working mother life... Cheer to us :)
but 2 days in last week i got no chance to pump in the day time and now i am facing problem of little milk flow......... Any Suggestions on how to imporve the milk flow????

Thanksssssss.

adelynn

i pumped for 9 months after returning to work. my office has nursing facilities but sometimes it gets too crowded.
what i do is:
- find an empty meeting room and pump (if there's glass windows, i tape it up)
- borrow my boss' office (he's a male but understand and encourages BFing)
- pump at my cube with a nursing shawl over. i wear nursing tops so i dont have to remove my top and can pump.

camom

I pumped till my son was 18 mths or so. I am thick skinned, i do it at my cubicle with a nursing poncho.

kaymummy

I just returned to work for about 2 weeks. Pumped in meeting room... Found that supply dropped and freezer supply's decreasing. I latch on at night after work, and pump twice a day only. Think I'll supplement with formula eventually.

Edwinie

I just returned to work for about 2 weeks. Pumped in meeting room... Found that supply dropped and freezer supply's decreasing. I latch on at night after work, and pump twice a day only. Think I'll supplement with formula eventually.
i just started school and i realise my supply dropping too. my freezer stock also dropping..
anyway, if i need to pump, i go to the shopping malls nearby. =) i shortlisted a few that has sockets. if i know i do not have time to walk over, i'll use manual pump in the toilet instead.

paperger85

My girl is 13 month old. I returned to work when she is 4 months old and I have been pumping and I have no plans to stop anytime soon. :)

Edwinie

Hi to all mums who breast pump at work!

I've got a few questions.

1. Does your milk supply drop once you start work?
2. If yes, do u find that there's a need to feed fm to your baby when you have not enough?

I just started school and the freezer stock that i have painstakingly accumulated is diminishing... =( used to have more in than out. then milk in = milk out. now milk in < milk out...

pinkapple

yes. mine did drop n my freezer stock is running out fast!

at the moment, still persisting n hopefully can slowly catch up. hence not giving FM yet.

must work harder n pump during weekends loh.

sg81hani

Hi mummies,
My baby is 8.5mths and i've been pumping since i got back to work when bb was 4 mths. Right now, I'm taking fenugreek tablets as supplement, and occasionally sacred tea (though I really hate the taste). A few mths back I was stressed with work and some probs at home that the supply really dipped. I went to the docs and she was quite encouraging and even gave me a councelling session. She prescribed me with domperedone to increase milk supply and it did help.
This year, I'm back to full teaching load and only manage to pump once or twice during the day and the supply is dipping. Luckily my baby is eating well and drinking water so her pooping is ok. My advice to mummies who are coming back to work, persevere that 2 mths after u come back from ure 4 mth maternity leave. After your baby reach 5.5 mths, can slowly give them solids and drink water to reduce constipation. By then, they might need one or 2 less milk feed during the day and that will reduce ure stress about whether the milk is enough.
I know sometimes even our fears get to the best of us... so hang in there mummies!!!!
Much Love!!

actually, once the baby hits 6 months, her diet will be supplemented with solids so the amount that is required will drop. can build up supply by pumping in the evening/night and over the weekends. what i do is pump after i feed my daughter her lunch of porridge, so that becomes stock for one more milk feed away from mommy :) but to be honest, it takes a lot of discipline to ensure that i hook up to the pump n times a day. but it's so worth it when my son - who still takes about 350-400ml of EMB a day - turns to me and says, 'Nice milk!' Haha! :)

Dreamrat

How much milk an infant drink?

I am going to end my confinement soon. After reading the comments here, it seems like I have to start pumping soon in order to give BM to my baby when I back at work ( target to be back at work on 13th week).

Just to double check: frozen BM can be stored for 3 months?

I think I can only pump in the toilet. All my rooms in office come with glass panel... No nursing room is available...

How much milk an infant drink?

I am going to end my confinement soon. After reading the comments here, it seems like I have to start pumping soon in order to give breast milk to my baby when I back at work ( target to be back at work on 13th week).

Just to double check: frozen breast milk can be stored for 3 months?

I think I can only pump in the toilet. All my rooms in office come with glass panel... No nursing room is available...
you can use the calculator at kellymom.com http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

frozen EBM can be stored for 6months. longer if it's deep freeze. My freezer is used exclusively for storage of EBM which means not as much opening and closing of the freezer. I have given my children EBM stored longer than 6 months, and nothing adverse... haha :p but always check for foul smell and colour after thawing. I'm going back after 12 weeks too - my baby is now 3 weeks old and I'm pumping to build up stores and supply... haha!

Can get a nursing shawl and pump in some corner? Towel is not very clean... I've done it before when I am out of office - not ideal though.

clare chan

hi,

Been back to work for almost 2 mths, still pumping hard at work, drom 2 hrs now become 4 times a days at time, nite n morning time latch on for my baby gal.

its really not easy, feel embarassed especially when they r male colleagues around. i pump in e toilet, very rushing for me as office only have got 1 toilet, but they keep e toilet clean, each pump took me only 10 min ( better than none )

sometimes can be very stressful as i nid to pump n work, but manage to do it well so far.

i also bought a cooler bag n ice pack from daisu, instead of storage bag, i use avent storage container, so more economic saving. after pumping i will keep inside refrigerator, bfore gg home just take out n put inside cooler bag.

everything seems so smooth, but since last week i notice that there is a dip in supply, im very worry as today when i pump, its still very little, b4 that i can get 80-120ml per pump, but recently only 60-80 per pump, really worry as i intend to bf my gal until 1 yrs old. i took fenugreek 2 days ago, but it seems no improvement. any advise?

milkshake

I have a question - I have a mummy's room in the office and fridge as well. After pumping, I'm assuming you would keep the milk in the fridge in the cooler bag with the ice pack. Say you pump in the morning and noon - by the time you go home, is it safe to put the milk that u pumped in office into the freezer to freeze? Cos I don't think the ice pack will make the milk freeze when you store it in the fridge?

hi,

Been back to work for almost 2 mths, still pumping hard at work, drom 2 hours now become 4 times a days at time, nite n morning time latch on for my baby gal.

its really not easy, feel embarassed especially when they r male colleagues around. i pump in e toilet, very rushing for me as office only have got 1 toilet, but they keep e toilet clean, each pump took me only 10 min ( better than none )

sometimes can be very stressful as i need to pump n work, but manage to do it well so far.

i also bought a cooler bag n ice pack from daisu, instead of storage bag, i use avent storage container, so more economic saving. after pumping i will keep inside refrigerator, bfore gg home just take out n put inside cooler bag.

everything seems so smooth, but since last week i notice that there is a dip in supply, im very worry as today when i pump, its still very little, before that i can get 80-120ml per pump, but recently only 60-80 per pump, really worry as i intend to bf my gal until 1 yrs old. i took fenugreek 2 days ago, but it seems no improvement. any advise?
how much fenugreek are you taking? can take it together with blessed thistle and see if it improves.

also, not sure if you pump in the night. I pump in the middle of the night - I find that doing so keeps the supply up in the day, since the no. of hours in between pumping sessions are longer than if the baby were to latch on directly. I used to (and doing that again now) pump about midnight, then 2 - 3am, and again between 5 to 6am until the baby turns 6 months. I find that's when I can chill a little since the baby will start semi-solids. And all the best! I'm sure you can keep up to the 1-year mark :)

I have a question - I have a mummy's room in the office and fridge as well. After pumping, I'm assuming you would keep the milk in the fridge in the cooler bag with the ice pack. Say you pump in the morning and noon - by the time you go home, is it safe to put the milk that u pumped in office into the freezer to freeze? Cos I don't think the ice pack will make the milk freeze when you store it in the fridge?
I would keep the milk in the fridge to chill and bring it home at the end of the day (with ice pack) and then freeze for storage. Would not be advisable to freeze it in your office freezer since it would start to thaw on your way home, even with the ice pack. Thawed EBM should not be re-frozen after you get home, unless it is for baby's consumption within the next day.