Reading

Tazrinah

Hi mummies..

I was told that at this age, our kids must know to recognise words like This, is, are, the etc.. and even spelling.

Is there any exciting way to make them remember these words?

stonston

My 4yo can read sight words.

I used flashcards with him and use relevant storybooks to reinforce. The key is consistent & continuous practice. Parents need to sit down with the child 10 - 15 minutes a day to read aloud together.

Tazrinah

Thank you for the info.. However, when I did this too with my girl, I ask her to repeat the words, she just do not wish to repeat them. When I point out to the words, then ask her to tell me how to pronounce them, she refuses to say. She prefers that i read those words to her. I know that she understood how to pronounce them- only that she did not want to read them loud.

stonston

Thank you for the info.. However, when I did this too with my girl, I ask her to repeat the words, she just do not wish to repeat them. When I point out to the words, then ask her to tell me how to pronounce them, she refuses to say. She prefers that i read those words to her. I know that she understood how to pronounce them- only that she did not want to read them loud.
In this case she needs a lot of motivation & praises.
Also, it might be that she's afraid of mispronouncing the words. You might want to try if she does the same if someone else teaches her.

Mrs Ting

Phonics is a great way to learn to read. You may send your child for phonics lesson or invest in some phonics VCDs. I used Learning to Read through Phonics VCDs on my son and I am very confident that he will survive when he enters P1 next year. I am actually getting buyer for my set of VCDs which I bought at $68 from Popular Bookstore. If you are keen, email me: dolly_quek@hotmail.com