SAHM: Ever get the SAHM Blues? How do you deal with it?

Yukee

has been a SAHM for about 2.5yr liao...don't have any SAHM blues at first, cos my hb is out of town most of the time, so whenever i am bored or need to hide from the irritating IL, i just take my gal out for a walk or shopping...until my #2 came and i got a maid to help out...going out is quite a problem, cos sometime don;t want the maid to come along, but can't cope with the 2 monsters...and i dont feel comfortable to let my gal stay at home with maid & IL.

Recently thought of going back to workforce, but the logistic of my gals make me think twice...may be 'eng eng cheng cheng' too long liao so can't cope with the rushing timing...think i am having SAHM blues now...no mood to do anything and feeling lazy all the time...don't even have mood to play with my gals...haiz...so now i am look for some short courses, eg. craft or music lesson, to brighten up the life...haiz...

EnFlor

Yukee, we both are in the same boat. I understand what u are going through.

But for me, i am w/o maid. Hubby wanted to get one for me but i really think i am a superwoman....a clumsy tired 'super'woman perhaps. Running after 3 young kiddos can really give me the blues frequently but seeing my kids smiling and laughing b4 me makes me happier.

Me thinking of going back to work too....soon!

Yukee

Hi EnFlor, you really superwoman man!! Two already giving me headache liao...before my #2 came, i thought i can manage both w/o maid, but seem like quite difficult, somemore stay with IL...haiz...i also want to go back to work soon, but unless i can find a very understanding boss or else have to wait another 2 or 3 yrs...

Last edited:

prima

for me, I will go for my time out at the gym whenever I can squeeze an hour or two.

It really invigorates the mind and body and chase away any frustrations and blues. never fails. anyway in the gym more things to see and listen.

:Dancing_tongue::Dancing_wub::Dancing_tongue::Dancing_wub:

EnFlor

prima, it is convenient to hit the gym if you have someone to mind the kids for an hour or two. Arh....i miss gym workout.

But coz i am a one-woman show @ most times, my way of invogirating my mind and body is to go for my brisk walking very early morning or late afternoon with the kids.

Stressful ? Not so lah coz the older two cycle b4 me. While the little one in stroller. I'll pluck in some soft music into my ears and hangs a whistle around my neck (this whistle is a MUST HAVE item, in case u know....if the older two get drifted far away from me, then i'll just BEEP BEEP)

At the end of every sessions : i will feel mentally refresh and recharge. Seriously....less blues and hopefully less fats maybe.

EnFlor

Do read May edition of Lifestyle Magazine Pg 66-67.
Great article. The article acts like a boost of energy and motivation that every tired SAHM feels.

I am totally inspired.

stsy_26

I've been a SAHM for 4 yrs now, and hv 2 gals aged 3 1/2 and 9 mths. Very rewarding, i must say, and i wld NEVER trade my experience for anything in the world.

Of cos got blues once in a while. I'm oso a very 1 woman show. My ILs are in Aust (at least no MIL probs! Hehehe!), and my mum is very active in church, so any help from her is usually on HER terms, so i rather not ask at all. TSK.

Most times wat gets me real down is the thot that the husbands dun understand wat we r going thru, and dun really appreciate all that we do for the family. They say they understand, but how to when they've nvr been thru it?? Just to have 2 hrs off to go for facial oso cannot cos he will say he cannot handle the 2 gals... sigh.

To de-stress, weird but sometimes really giving the house a good clean makes me feel better.... Cos the house is always in a mess and always dusty, so if i can clean it up and make it look spick and span, I feel less cluttered mentally oso! :p

Of cos the occasional facial and retail therapy is always a sure thing to lift the spirits! :)

winxme

Sure to have .......the blues. So your girlfriends come in handy... SAHM must have friends.... Not one or 2... try to have a group of friends, at least 3.. Call a friend, chat on MSN...surf the forum. Many many things to do to beat the blues..

Enflor, other than whistle, whatelse are must have item? have to learn from u... my girl is only 14weeks... long way to go...

i m SAHM too... we must relax.... as i m staying alone with hubby only, weekdays i will take care of my girl in the day, night time and weekend, i'll get my hand off... i leave it all to my hubby.. and i'll go to have massage, or facial, or wet market, or supermarket, or shopping in the weekend... i told myself that at least i have to go out once a week before i get mad...

sometimes, i feel that after i came SAHM, my hubby, my girl and my house are the only things in my life... CANNOT... that's y i've to brighten up my life in weekends... and avoid to get SAHM blues...

As for me, I like watching tv n surfing internet

aiya my bb doesn't sleep much.. n now she is learning to roll over.. :( not much times for myself

i used to love massage very much.. now how to :(

Oppsgal

SAHM sure have blues sometimes, same for working too. Got Monday blues... SAHM less blues as can be more relax. :red:

snowbear

SAHM sure have blues sometimes, same for working too. Got Monday blues... SAHM less blues as can be more relax. :red:
hmm, i'm not sure if SAHMs would agree that we're more relaxed at home. I mean, i haven't stopped working for that long, so the feeling is still fresh in my memory, but i think being a SAHM is much more draining physically and emotionally because i don't get any day off and with a young baby, basically i'm "on call" 24/7. If you are working, at least you can sometimes just ignore your work on your offday, but as a SAHM you can't just ignore your child(ren), can you? And anyway, there are no offdays... tsk tsk.

Also, SAHMs have to deal with the fact that we're no longer financially independent and sometimes i just feel a bit poor just thinking about it... haha. Well then again, watching my darling grow up is a priceless experience and i wouldn't trade it for anything else. So I try to beat the blues which come now and then... :)

Oppsgal

hmm, i'm not sure if SAHMs would agree that we're more relaxed at home. I mean, i haven't stopped working for that long, so the feeling is still fresh in my memory, but i think being a SAHM is much more draining physically and emotionally because i don't get any day off and with a young baby, basically i'm "on call" 24/7. If you are working, at least you can sometimes just ignore your work on your offday, but as a SAHM you can't just ignore your child(ren), can you? And anyway, there are no offdays... tsk tsk.

Also, SAHMs have to deal with the fact that we're no longer financially independent and sometimes i just feel a bit poor just thinking about it... haha. Well then again, watching my darling grow up is a priceless experience and i wouldn't trade it for anything else. So I try to beat the blues which come now and then... :)
Ask HB takes over on weekends when he is not working, that's the offdays for SAHM. Haha. Financially depend on him too. Help to spend then the economy can move. :tlaugh:

snowbear

Ask HB takes over on weekends when he is not working, that's the offdays for SAHM. Haha. Financially depend on him too. Help to spend then the economy can move. :tlaugh:
I can't leave my darling for long coz she is breastfed and she only wants to latch on. Plus, she'll miss me and make lotsa noise...

Well, he's not earning all that much so we also try not to spend much.

sharonthia

I totally agree with Snowbear that we dun have day off at all. Hubby wont understand they always think that we got no stress at all. Is easier to say than do I suppose. He will only ask me to get help from MIL who is always busy with her own entertaiment and wanna enjoy life, whenever I need a break I must look into her "time"....might itself forget it!!!!:nah:

kym

I mean honestly, can any SAHM not get the Blues?
If so, how do you deal with it - considering you get no 'Time-Off' at all throughout the week?

Need some inspiration here.. :D

Cheerios,
the prelovedshoppekeeper
I'll surf net, read love novel online or go makan with my girls. :001_302:

Queenbabe

I think almost everyday im unhappy coz everyday like no rest day so tiring .. i try to play games if i have time , come to mummysg & also bring my kids out :)