Salt and soya sauce required for making baby's food?

annie03

Hi Annie,
How old is your baby now? I just introduce fruits (apple) to my baby cos he got constipation. The constipation cause is from the cereal, think i mix too thick. Finally my boy poo after inserting the medicine. My boy is 6 months old, how often to feed him fruits? Twice a day? And the amount? My mum told me she fed him 1/4 of the apple, is it ok?
Hi Shulyn,

My baby is 9mths old now, actually i nvr give my baby any fruits at all and i feed her porridge most of the time but i make sure that i give her water 2 to 3 times a day (morning, noon and evening) after 2 hrs of milk or solid food fed n I only giving her 20ml to 30ml per water feed or can be lesser like only 10ml as long as ur boy drinks water...... for the 1st water feed in the morning, you can mix in 1 teaspoon of gripe water cos it helps to clear the heatiness in the body n their bowels n can prevent constipation or tummy wind and i only use it once a day, this can be bought at any medical shop or ntuc and my gal's will poo at least once or twice daily n its quite regular n routine too...

You can also try to make ur cereal less thicker cos cereal is quite heaty and also weather is quite hot now so i'm nt sure if you do feed him enuff water... you can give apple like wat ur mum suggest, but the amount can be 5 to 6 teaspoon after you puree the apple, you can sometimes give papaya too or even small bananas but also stick it at 5 to 6 teaspoons after you have puree it or you can even give homemade apple juice or papaya juice to your boy but mix it with water of ratio like 1 portion juice to 2 portion water cos if not will be too sweet for ur boy... hope this will help in your boy's constipation.. =)

shulyn

Hi Shulyn,

Nice meeting you here:) Glad you started feeding your baby Treston porridge. As the above all mummies mentioned. Fish can be added to the porridge to feed him. And no salt & soya sauce
Yes fruits puree - you can give him too. I did a list myself that you can start giving him: Pear, Pumpkin, Apple. I think 1/4 should b enough.
How about Vegetables Puree?
Hi Serene,

Good to see here! Thanks for the info...Btw, u mention vegetables puree? How to prepare? I am still learning new recipes, various types of new foods for my boy...

shulyn

Hi Shulyn,

My baby is 9mths old now, actually i never give my baby any fruits at all and i feed her porridge most of the time but i make sure that i give her water 2 to 3 times a day (morning, noon and evening) after 2 hours of milk or solid food fed and I only giving her 20ml to 30ml per water feed or can be lesser like only 10ml as long as your boy drinks water...... for the 1st water feed in the morning, you can mix in 1 teaspoon of gripe water cos it helps to clear the heatiness in the body and their bowels and can prevent constipation or tummy wind and i only use it once a day, this can be bought at any medical shop or ntuc and my gal's will poo at least once or twice daily and its quite regular and routine too...

You can also try to make your cereal less thicker cos cereal is quite heaty and also weather is quite hot now so i'm not sure if you do feed him enuff water... you can give apple like what your mum suggest, but the amount can be 5 to 6 teaspoon after you puree the apple, you can sometimes give papaya too or even small bananas but also stick it at 5 to 6 teaspoons after you have puree it or you can even give homemade apple juice or papaya juice to your boy but mix it with water of ratio like 1 portion juice to 2 portion water cos if not will be too sweet for your boy... hope this will help in your boy's constipation.. =)
Thanks Annie!

When my boy is 0-6 mths, i refrain him from drinking water except the gripe water (20ml)..Doc say no need to give so we just didnt give and my boy will poo every 2-3 days. This time round its becos of the Nestle cereal, i think i mix it too thick. Water 30ml mix with 3 scoops of cereal (powder scoop) for my boy when he first started his solid food.

By when we can feed our baby 2 solid food (eg; porridge)? Currently i only give him one meal porridge for lunch, the rest all on formula milk?
May i know how much is your baby drinking his milk (ml) while he is on solid food?

shulyn

I used to boil stock to make my bbs porridge. That was more than enough natural flavouring for them.

As for fruits, I usually mixed puree with the cereal powder. That way I knew baby was getting some good fibre together with his meal. When we go out... this was especially easy as I'd freeze the puree the night before and bring it out in a container. Then when I was ready to feed baby, just add the cereal powder and mix.
Hi Jopeck,

puree with cereal powder? What kind of puree? I read from book, Eg peach puree you mix with cereal?

Ok, will try it!

Thanks!

annie03

Thanks Annie!

When my boy is 0-6 mths, i refrain him from drinking water except the gripe water (20ml)..Doc say no need to give so we just didnt give and my boy will poo every 2-3 days. This time round its becos of the Nestle cereal, i think i mix it too thick. Water 30ml mix with 3 scoops of cereal (powder scoop) for my boy when he first started his solid food.

By when we can feed our baby 2 solid food (eg; porridge)? Currently i only give him one meal porridge for lunch, the rest all on formula milk?
May i know how much is your baby drinking his milk (ml) while he is on solid food?

No prob shulyn, ya same here... i only started giving water when my gal started solid food.. did u follow the instructions as per stated on the tin cos when i give cereal to my gal, its not really thick but somehw i find the texture dry n my gal find it hard to swallow too n she dun really like it after eating few mouths and i'm using Nestle...

Then i start feeding my gal porridge at 6mths instead of giving cereal since she dun like (only 1 solid) ... then i increase to 2 times solid (both porridge for lunch n dinner) when she is 7 mths old... and she's now drinking 180ml every 3.5hrs with 2 solid food meals... wat abt ur boy?

shulyn

No prob shulyn, ya same here... i only started giving water when my gal started solid food.. did you follow the instructions as per stated on the tin cos when i give cereal to my gal, its not really thick but somehw i find the texture dry and my gal find it hard to swallow too and she dont really like it after eating few mouths and i'm using Nestle...

Then i start feeding my gal porridge at 6mths instead of giving cereal since she dont like (only 1 solid) ... then i increase to 2 times solid (both porridge for lunch and dinner) when she is 7 mths old... and she's now drinking 180ml every 3.5hrs with 2 solid food meals... what about your boy?
Haiz, last sat my boy got constipation, saw him struggling for whole day then sun bring him go GP (cos PD is closed on sun) and the GP say my boy is skinny. When he's born, his weight is 3.795kg. Its quite big for a mother of my frame. My pre-pregnancy weight was only 45kg...1st month he is drinking very well, his appetite change after 2nd month and each time when he drink milk, we got try all methods...When he is 5 mths, we make abt 180ml (day time), the most he can finish is 70-80ml and the rest need to force feed (Eg, my mum will try spoon feed) for me its hard to spoon feed for milk so me and my hubby will try all kinds of methods. The whole process will take abt an hour. My PD say dun force feed cos tat show he is full. But if we didnt, can u imagine he is only drinking 500-600ml a day when he is 5 months old. My PD say my boy weight is ok, but alot of people say he is not the chubby type, for me he is kind of skinny...As at last vaccines, my boy is 5.5 months, his weight is 7.15kg, height 70cm. What u think? I got record down my boy milk intake including 1 solid meal, he is taking about 700-800ml of milk a day...

annie03

sigh, last sat my boy got constipation, saw him struggling for whole day then sun bring him go GP (cos pediatrician is closed on sun) and the GP say my boy is skinny. When he's born, his weight is 3.795kg. Its quite big for a mother of my frame. My pre-pregnancy weight was only 45kg...1st month he is drinking very well, his appetite change after 2nd month and each time when he drink milk, we got try all methods...When he is 5 mths, we make about 180ml (day time), the most he can finish is 70-80ml and the rest need to force feed (Eg, my mum will try spoon feed) for me its hard to spoon feed for milk so me and my hubby will try all kinds of methods. The whole process will take about an hour. My pediatrician say dont force feed cos that show he is full. But if we didnt, can you imagine he is only drinking 500-600ml a day when he is 5 months old. My pediatrician say my boy weight is ok, but alot of people say he is not the chubby type, for me he is kind of skinny...As at last vaccines, my boy is 5.5 months, his weight is 7.15kg, height 70cm. What you think? I got record down my boy milk intake including 1 solid meal, he is taking about 700-800ml of milk a day...

Actually you dun have to worry cos i find your boy's weight quite ok just that maybe he's like you could be small frame size n he's quite tall too... cos my gal's born weight is 2.93kg and for the 2nd mth, her weight gain is only 400g more cos whenever we feed her milk, she will cry n cry, can only feed her when she has fallen asleep... then only things improve at her end of 3rd mth n much more better until she started solid... n my gal is also nt the chubby type but consider only just nice now...

i feel tat just do as ur pd say cos maybe ur boy's appetite is small n he will definitely cry for milk if he's hungry and as long he's gaining weight n not losing weight then shldn't be a prob... n wat the interval for your every milk feed? every 2 hrs or 3 hrs? cos maybe you can make 100ml of milk 1st so as nt to waste the milk n money, so if he can finish then slowly you can increase the amount... but hw many milk feeds per day n hw many hrs interval? cos my gal is also taking about 720ml of milk per day... fyi, although my gal is 9mths now but during her last vaccine taken when she's 7mths old, she only weighs 6.185kg n height is 68cm n she's consider underweight but tall..

snowbear

sigh, last sat my boy got constipation, saw him struggling for whole day then sun bring him go GP (cos pediatrician is closed on sun) and the GP say my boy is skinny. When he's born, his weight is 3.795kg. Its quite big for a mother of my frame. My pre-pregnancy weight was only 45kg...1st month he is drinking very well, his appetite change after 2nd month and each time when he drink milk, we got try all methods...When he is 5 mths, we make about 180ml (day time), the most he can finish is 70-80ml and the rest need to force feed (Eg, my mum will try spoon feed) for me its hard to spoon feed for milk so me and my hubby will try all kinds of methods. The whole process will take about an hour. My pediatrician say dont force feed cos that show he is full. But if we didnt, can you imagine he is only drinking 500-600ml a day when he is 5 months old. My pediatrician say my boy weight is ok, but alot of people say he is not the chubby type, for me he is kind of skinny...As at last vaccines, my boy is 5.5 months, his weight is 7.15kg, height 70cm. What you think? I got record down my boy milk intake including 1 solid meal, he is taking about 700-800ml of milk a day...
Hi Shulyn,
The website i referred you to has also a list of vegetable purees you can try for your son. You shld try to give veg and fruits once your son has started to adapt to eating semi-solids. This will ensure that he has a balanced diet and that'll probably solve the constipation problem in the long run. He prob has constipation also due to the added iron in the cereal (esp if you're feeding rice cereal - it's quite common to get constipation from eating rice cereal). If you're feeding rice cereal, you may wanna switch to oatmeal or barley to solve the problem of constipation.

I used to add veg puree into my dd's cereal (I used Healthy Times oatmeal, barley, mixed grain), sometimes more than 1 type of veg. I'd also give fruits every day. When my dd was young, she loved papaya. But dun give too much of it coz young babies tend to take on an orange hue quite easily when they consume too much food that's high in beta-carotene.

Once your ds has gotten used to eating semi-solid food you can start to introduce a new meal to him since he's not taking in as much milk as you'd like him to. My dd's small-sized, born at 2.43kg. Now 1 year old just nice triple her birth wt (7.3kg), ht about 71-72cm. I think dun need to worry too much abt size of bb (as long as no sudden wt loss) - meeting milestones is much much more impt! :)

shulyn

Hi Shulyn,
The website i referred you to has also a list of vegetable purees you can try for your son. You shld try to give veg and fruits once your son has started to adapt to eating semi-solids. This will ensure that he has a balanced diet and that'll probably solve the constipation problem in the long run. He prob has constipation also due to the added iron in the cereal (esp if you're feeding rice cereal - it's quite common to get constipation from eating rice cereal). If you're feeding rice cereal, you may wanna switch to oatmeal or barley to solve the problem of constipation.

I used to add veg puree into my dear daughter's cereal (I used Healthy Times oatmeal, barley, mixed grain), sometimes more than 1 type of veg. I'd also give fruits every day. When my dear daughter was young, she loved papaya. But dont give too much of it coz young babies tend to take on an orange hue quite easily when they consume too much food that's high in beta-carotene.

Once your dear son has gotten used to eating semi-solid food you can start to introduce a new meal to him since he's not taking in as much milk as you'd like him to. My dear daughter's small-sized, born at 2.43kg. Now 1 year old just nice triple her birth wt (7.3kg), ht about 71-72cm. I think dont need to worry too much about size of baby (as long as no sudden wt loss) - meeting milestones is much much more impt! :)
Hi Snowbear,

So much thanks to your advice! Yap, i been browsing through the website u gave me and take down the recipe. I am totally new about baby nutrition and just exploring more info through the net just hope tat i can give the best nutrition for my boy...Oh...from my boy weight, it seems like he is still acceptable. When i bring him to the GP to insert the tablets for constipation, GP say he's kind of skinny and take his weight for me, His weight for 6 mths 1 weeks is only 7.45kg which is slightly 300 gm increase...My boy enjoy solid food alot, he can finish the porridge and even wants more for apple puree...I still prefer him to drink formula as the main food...

shulyn

Actually you dont have to worry cos i find your boy's weight quite ok just that maybe he's like you could be small frame size and he's quite tall too... cos my gal's born weight is 2.93kg and for the 2nd month, her weight gain is only 400g more cos whenever we feed her milk, she will cry and cry, can only feed her when she has fallen asleep... then only things improve at her end of 3rd month and much more better until she started solid... and my gal is also not the chubby type but consider only just nice now...

i feel that just do as your pediatrician say cos maybe your boy's appetite is small and he will definitely cry for milk if he's hungry and as long he's gaining weight and not losing weight then shldn't be a prob... and what the interval for your every milk feed? every 2 hours or 3 hours? cos maybe you can make 100ml of milk 1st so as not to waste the milk and money, so if he can finish then slowly you can increase the amount... but hw many milk feeds per day and hw many hours interval? cos my gal is also taking about 720ml of milk per day... fyi, although my gal is 9mths now but during her last vaccine taken when she's 7mths old, she only weighs 6.185kg and height is 68cm and she's consider underweight but tall..
Hi Annie,

After taking 1 meal of solid, he is drinking about 5 milk feeds...Morning and night time he doesnt drink much, the most is day time, he can finish 180ml with few try. It depend how much my boy drink, if its 120ml, we will feed him 3 hours later, if its 180ml will be 4 hours later. The timing should be fine right?

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

annie03

Hi Annie,

After taking 1 meal of solid, he is drinking about 5 milk feeds...Morning and night time he doesnt drink much, the most is day time, he can finish 180ml with few try. It depend how much my boy drink, if its 120ml, we will feed him 3 hours later, if its 180ml will be 4 hours later. The timing should be fine right?

Thanks for sharing!
Ok think our feeding style quite similar cos my gal is taking 2 solid meals and 4 milk feeds per day... i also give 4hrs later if my gal drink 180ml but sometimes will be 3.5hrs later cos she will wail for milk earlier if in btw she gt poo... then if she drinks around 120 to 150ml then i will give 3hrs later provided she didnt ask for milk earlier...

Thanks for sharing your info too! =)

Last edited:

snowbear

Hi Snowbear,

So much thanks to your advice! Yap, i been browsing through the website you gave me and take down the recipe. I am totally new about baby nutrition and just exploring more info through the net just hope that i can give the best nutrition for my boy...Oh...from my boy weight, it seems like he is still acceptable. When i bring him to the GP to insert the tablets for constipation, GP say he's kind of skinny and take his weight for me, His weight for 6 mths 1 weeks is only 7.45kg which is slightly 300 gm increase...My boy enjoy solid food alot, he can finish the porridge and even wants more for apple puree...I still prefer him to drink formula as the main food...
No prob. :) Glad that i was of help to you. All mummies want the best for their little ones. I'm also very stressed every day thinking of what to cook for my little darling coz she's a super small eater and picky too! Dun even noe why she's so picky nowadays; she used to eat everything i gave her when she was young and could eat quite a fair bit.

My gal hardly puts on any wt, esp after she started to move around on her own! Her activity rate is just too high: always on the move, either crawling, climbing or toddling around the house pushing her little walker trolley. How to put on wt like that???

Milk is still her favourite. Now that she's older she knows how to come to me and pull at my top or try to latch from outside my top to indicate she wants milk milk from mummy. :tlaugh::tlaugh:Milk is very very impt in the first year of their lives so you must make sure that your ds still drinks lotsa milk! :001_302:

Btw, did you manage to chk out the Super Baby Food book at Borders?

shulyn

No prob. :) Glad that i was of help to you. All mummies want the best for their little ones. I'm also very stressed every day thinking of what to cook for my little darling coz she's a super small eater and picky too! dont even know why she's so picky nowadays; she used to eat everything i gave her when she was young and could eat quite a fair bit.

My gal hardly puts on any wt, esp after she started to move around on her own! Her activity rate is just too high: always on the move, either crawling, climbing or toddling around the house pushing her little walker trolley. How to put on wt like that???

Milk is still her favourite. Now that she's older she knows how to come to me and pull at my top or try to latch from outside my top to indicate she wants milk milk from mummy. :tlaugh::tlaugh:Milk is very very impt in the first year of their lives so you must make sure that your dear son still drinks lotsa milk! :001_302:

Btw, did you manage to chk out the Super Baby Food book at Borders?
Hey Snowbear,

Thanks for sharing! So cute, your gal actually pull your top for milk...As for mine, i stop at 4 mths due to lesser milk and my boy often not satifised after his milk feed. I find it funny, he's not keen at all...When he's around 3 mths plus he will still look for my breast but when the flow is getting lesser he doesnt even want to suck:) When my milk is getting lesser, he doesnt even want to find my breast, when i offer him, he will turn away...

Are you SHM? Yap, when you are full time taking care of your gal its kind of headache..But cooking porridge isnt it the easiest? For me, i told my mum to cook fish porridge with spinach. Once a week then have pumpin and carrot porridge...Prob we can share the baby receipe? What do you usally prepare lunch and dinner for your gal? Care to share more?

Btw, did you let your gal sleep? Cos my mum say small baby need to have enough sleep in order for them to grow. My boy also very active type, even though he is 6 mths, he take very short nap and always wake up interval. We will try to put him to sleep 2-3 hours later after his milk feed...

I havent got the book, most likely this weekends if got time will go and buy:)

Thanks Thanks!!!

Last edited:

shulyn

Ok think our feeding style quite similar cos my gal is taking 2 solid meals and 4 milk feeds per day... i also give 4hrs later if my gal drink 180ml but sometimes will be 3.5hrs later cos she will wail for milk earlier if in btw she gt poo... then if she drinks around 120 to 150ml then i will give 3hrs later provided she didnt ask for milk earlier...

Thanks for sharing your info too! =)
Hi Annie,

You are welcome! Our kids milk feeding is kind of similar. I'm still trying to let him drink more milk. Think my mum very expert, whenever she feed, my boy can drink at least 180-200ml. For me and my hubby, when my boy reject milk, we also never give up, just keep trying for few rounds. Becos of his drinking pattern, we need to take down his consumption in a report book:wink:. I know this is kind of 'kiasu' but we have done this since he's 3 mths old. He is drinking very little milk, so with this recording, we are able to tell his milk intake...

annie03

Hi Annie,

You are welcome! Our kids milk feeding is kind of similar. I'm still trying to let him drink more milk. Think my mum very expert, whenever she feed, my boy can drink at least 180-200ml. For me and my hubby, when my boy reject milk, we also never give up, just keep trying for few rounds. Becos of his drinking pattern, we need to take down his consumption in a report book:wink:. I know this is kind of 'kiasu' but we have done this since he's 3 mths old. He is drinking very little milk, so with this recording, we are able to tell his milk intake...
Hi Shulyn,

hahaa, '姜还是老的辣' cos your mum very experience already....i also learn from my mum when i saw her handling my nephews and now more or less know abit more and i also find it easier to handle my own kid too....

at 1st me and my hubby also have probs feeling my gal just like you and your hubby, but we also keep trying and finally we succeed... so you and your hubby sure can make it one..

haha, you not 'kiasu' at all cos i'm more 'kiasu' than you.. i started recording her milk intake and time every feed when she was 1 month old and i even record down the time whenever she poo poo and also note the colour and texture of her stools... and i even chk the no. of times she poo per day.... see how 'kiasu' i am... and actually recording all these down is good too cos it will be easier for us to monitor and also when pediatrician ask us during their chk up, at least we already got the answer inside us and not by guessing...

Last edited:

snowbear

Hey Snowbear,

Thanks for sharing! So cute, your gal actually pull your top for milk...As for mine, i stop at 4 mths due to lesser milk and my boy often not satifised after his milk feed. I find it funny, he's not keen at all...When he's around 3 mths plus he will still look for my breast but when the flow is getting lesser he doesnt even want to suck:) When my milk is getting lesser, he doesnt even want to find my breast, when i offer him, he will turn away...

Are you SHM? Yap, when you are full time taking care of your gal its kind of headache..But cooking porridge isnt it the easiest? For me, i told my mum to cook fish porridge with spinach. Once a week then have pumpin and carrot porridge...Prob we can share the baby receipe? What do you usally prepare lunch and dinner for your gal? Care to share more?

Btw, did you let your gal sleep? Cos my mum say small baby need to have enough sleep in order for them to grow. My boy also very active type, even though he is 6 mths, he take very short nap and always wake up interval. We will try to put him to sleep 2-3 hours later after his milk feed...

I havent got the book, most likely this weekends if got time will go and buy:)

Thanks Thanks!!!
Yes, I'm a stay at home mum for the time being. Trying to extend my no-pay leave. Anyway, my dear daughter used to like porridge but at 9 months she refused it for a whole month! Then at 10mths she started taking some again but she doesn't seem keen on porridge. Porridge is the easiest but I realised that she actually prefers other stuff like baby oats, oatmeal, alphabet pasta. She loves beef too. Not much of an oriental baby i have here. :tlaugh::tlaugh: Sometimes she'll just reject the porridge after 2 mouths. Waste all the food and effort. So now i seldom cook porridge for her.

My dear daughter used to eat spinach but now spits it out. sigh... gonna try to make spinach noodles for her one of these days... Anyway she loves broccoli and cauliflower which i stir-fry with a bit of garlic and then simmer a bit in pork, chicken and corn stock. The florets soak up the stock. Yummy.. :) Anyway since your baby is taking well to porridge, stick with it first. Saves a lot of effort and time thinking of what to cook all the time. :tlaugh::tlaugh:

dear daughter usually takes a meal of baby oats cooked in my milk with fruit cubes or instant oatmeal from Earth's Best or Heinz Muesli and Apple cereal which i mix with my breast milk and i add homemade applesauce (cooked and pureed apples) to it. Or she eats Healthy Times whole grain cereal with my breast milk (these biscuits can be served as finger food too). I add 1-2tsp of wheatgerm to these foods for added nutrition. She takes stir-fried veg and steamed/pan-fried cod served with a bit of applesauce (she just loves applesauce!) about a hour or so later after the first meal.

For snack (her fingerfood meal), she gets homemade eggless apple muffins (recipe from the Super Baby Food book), sweet potato (purple/yellow/orange), egg or whole grain Teddy Puffs from Healthy Times.

Dinner could be anything! She usually takes a wee bit of rice with cod, some vegetables and egg, chicken meat. Usually i have to feed her one more small meal of oatmeal or some other type of cereal (different from the morning's feed) coz she usually doesn't eat much during our dinnertime. Occasionally she eats porridge.

My dear daughter naps and sleeps well generally. I dont wake her up from naps, will wait till she wakes then go out, so sometimes end up very late for apptments. I guess it's just genetic that she's small-sized...

I must be the most kiasu mummy coz i record everything about my dear daughter! :tlaugh: I have an excel spreadsheet with more than 10 worksheets detailing different aspects of what she did in the day (eat, sleep, poo, diaper change, potty time etc) and another spreadsheet detailing the menu for her for the month in my pda phone. Started with only recording feeding and number of poos a day in the first month but later added more and more details until dear husband bought me a pda phone so i could key everything i wanted in. :001_302::001_302::001_302:

shulyn

Yes, I'm a stay at home mum for the time being. Trying to extend my no-pay leave. Anyway, my dear daughter used to like porridge but at 9 months she refused it for a whole month! Then at 10mths she started taking some again but she doesn't seem keen on porridge. Porridge is the easiest but I realised that she actually prefers other stuff like baby oats, oatmeal, alphabet pasta. She loves beef too. Not much of an oriental baby i have here. :tlaugh::tlaugh: Sometimes she'll just reject the porridge after 2 mouths. Waste all the food and effort. So now i seldom cook porridge for her.

My dear daughter used to eat spinach but now spits it out. sigh... gonna try to make spinach noodles for her one of these days... Anyway she loves broccoli and cauliflower which i stir-fry with a bit of garlic and then simmer a bit in pork, chicken and corn stock. The florets soak up the stock. Yummy..

> Snowbear, sound complicated. simmer a bit in pork, chicken and corn stock? Is this recipe from Super baby food?
:) Anyway since your baby is taking well to porridge, stick with it first.
> My mum always cook porridge with fish (nhgo hee), spinach and lean pork. My boy so far is having all this for his lunch. Is having spinach daily good? Cos i read from the website you gave me, wholesomebabyfood, it says eating spinach in moderation is a good idea? Is having everyday consider moderation? Will be going to get the healthy times cereal this weekend, am going to let my boy try. Can i ask you my boy last poo is Monday aft doc insert tablet. Till today, its already Friday and he have not poo. Haiz, headache. How come? Me and my hubby doesnt have this prob. We got let him drink water 2 hrs later after his milk feed, once a day drink gripewater, no other food except spinach,fish & pork porridge and his main food 'Milk'. Any advice? I cant just rely on the fibre powder doc gave me and inserting the tablet.
Saves a lot of effort and time thinking of what to cook all the time. :tlaugh::tlaugh:

dear daughter usually takes a meal of baby oats cooked in my milk with fruit cubes or instant oatmeal from Earth's Best or Heinz Muesli and Apple cereal which i mix with my breast milk and i add homemade applesauce (cooked and pureed apples) to it. Or she eats Healthy Times whole grain cereal with my breast milk (these biscuits can be served as finger food too). I add 1-2tsp of wheatgerm to these foods for added nutrition. She takes stir-fried veg and steamed/pan-fried cod served with a bit of applesauce (she just loves applesauce!) about a hour or so later after the first meal.

> Where to buy wheatgerm?

For snack (her fingerfood meal), she gets homemade eggless apple muffins (recipe from the Super Baby Food book), sweet potato (purple/yellow/orange), egg or whole grain Teddy Puffs from Healthy Times.

Dinner could be anything! She usually takes a wee bit of rice with cod, some vegetables and egg, chicken meat. Usually i have to feed her one more small meal of oatmeal or some other type of cereal (different from the morning's feed) coz she usually doesn't eat much during our dinnertime. Occasionally she eats porridge.

My dear daughter naps and sleeps well generally. I dont wake her up from naps, will wait till she wakes then go out, so sometimes end up very late for apptments. I guess it's just genetic that she's small-sized...

I must be the most kiasu mummy coz i record everything about my dear daughter! :tlaugh: I have an excel spreadsheet with more than 10 worksheets detailing different aspects of what she did in the day (eat, sleep, poo, diaper change, potty time etc) and another spreadsheet detailing the menu for her for the month in my pda phone. Started with only recording feeding and number of poos a day in the first month but later added more and more details until dear husband bought me a pda phone so i could key everything i wanted in. :001_302::001_302::001_302:
>Wow a very informative info! Thanks alot! I really think you put in so much effort, from wat i read, i really wonder how to do it??? You still know how to make muffin? For me, i enjoy all this before pregnancy, but now i always find no time for my boy so i rather dun do anything. For weekend, i dun cook and we will always eat outside or buy back. Sound lazy? Haha, cos i wanna spend time with my boy. If i cook, i need to do the washing, cleaning of the stove etc. I emphasis alot on bonding, becos of this i got to engage part time cleaner. Intially really cant cope but now things is getting better.

shulyn

Hi Shulyn,

hahaa, '姜还是老的辣' cos your mum very experience already....i also learn from my mum when i saw her handling my nephews and now more or less know abit more and i also find it easier to handle my own kid too....

> Haha, agree! One thing is my mum very patient...

at 1st me and my hubby also have probs feeling my gal just like you and your hubby, but we also keep trying and finally we succeed... so you and your hubby sure can make it one..

> Annie, does your gal finish all the milk in 1 feeding? Mine gonna keep tryig, even my mum also must try a few times. haiz, so long liao, After his 1st mth he started to have this prob till now. Still no improvement.

haha, you not 'kiasu' at all cos i'm more 'kiasu' than you.. i started recording her milk intake and time every feed when she was 1 month old and i even record down the time whenever she poo poo and also note the colour and texture of her stools... and i even chk the no. of times she poo per day.... see how 'kiasu' i am... and actually recording all these down is good too cos it will be easier for us to monitor and also when pediatrician ask us during their chk up, at least we already got the answer inside us and not by guessing...
> Phew, i thought im the only one out there. My surround friend doesnt do all this. Did you saw snowbear recipe? Wow, very informative! She really put in so much effort on thinking and preparing. U also SHM?

snowbear

Snowbear, sound complicated. simmer a bit in pork, chicken and corn stock? Is this recipe from Super baby food?
No, actually. Hee.. I always boil stock for cooking for dear daughter. What i do is to boil a batch then freeze them in portions which i'd use so i only defrost what i need. After experimenting around with ingredients, i realised that my dear daughter likes stock made with corn, pork ribs and chicken breast bones. Very sweet and fragrant. You can use the stock to cook porridge too so that it's tastier.

My mum always cook porridge with fish (nhgo hee), spinach and lean pork. My boy so far is having all this for his lunch. Is having spinach daily good? Cos i read from the website you gave me, wholesomebabyfood, it says eating spinach in moderation is a good idea? Is having everyday consider moderation? Will be going to get the healthy times cereal this weekend, am going to let my boy try. Can i ask you my boy last poo is Monday after doc insert tablet. Till today, its already Friday and he have not poo. sigh, headache. How come? Me and my hubby doesnt have this prob. We got let him drink water 2 hours later after his milk feed, once a day drink gripewater, no other food except spinach,fish & pork porridge and his main food 'Milk'. Any advice? I cant just rely on the fibre powder doc gave me and inserting the tablet.
Spinach is high in beta carotene just like sweet potato. If consumed in high amts every day it may give your dear son an orange hue. Maybe vary the type of vegetable?

My dear daughter's never had constipation before coz she has been on breastmilk and eats fruits. Can't help you very much on this. Maybe try giving fruits like papaya or banana which help with bowel mvt? Eating more fruits and veg will help - natural source of fiber - so you dont need to keep giving the fiber powder.

Where to buy wheatgerm?
You can get wheatgerm from the organic section of NTUC.
Wow a very informative info! Thanks alot! I really think you put in so much effort, from what i read, i really wonder how to do it??? You still know how to make muffin? For me, i enjoy all this before pregnancy, but now i always find no time for my boy so i rather dont do anything. For weekend, i dont cook and we will always eat outside or buy back. Sound lazy? Haha, cos i wanna spend time with my boy. If i cook, i need to do the washing, cleaning of the stove etc. I emphasis alot on bonding, becos of this i got to engage part time cleaner. Intially really cant cope but now things is getting better.
The last time i baked muffins was during Home Economics class! :tlaugh::tlaugh: I usually only use my oven for baking chicken or fish. Was very apprehensive about baking muffins coz have not't done it in 10+years! Just followed the instructions in the Super Baby Food book and it turned out fine.

I spend most of the day preparing food (when baby's asleep) and cooking for my dear daughter. :) My dear husband says i'm doing too much for dear daughter... But i enjoy the process... esp if dear daughter loves the food. :001_302::001_302: What greater pleasure can a cook have than to see people enjoy your food? :)

Yes, i agree that spending time to bond is more impt than anything else! :)

annie03

> Phew, i thought im the only one out there. My surround friend doesnt do all this. Did you saw snowbear recipe? Wow, very informative! She really put in so much effort on thinking and preparing. you also SHM?

haha luckily we got some 'kiasu' companions here cos if not some of my friends will be saying that i over do it including my mum...

ya i have visit the website given by snowbear, its really quite useful and i have add it to my favourite list... and before this website given by snowbear, i'm still going thru some of the random nestle website (and its not much info there too) to see what food shld baby take at what stage and now this website provides all info that i need.. its really great, thanks snowbear...

I'm a full time working mum, and my baby will be at my mum's place during wkdays and I will bring my gal back on fri or if there's any PHs and look after ger over the wkends and bring her back to my mum on sun nite... i also used to cook during wkdays after work but now will tabao during wkdays and cook only during wkends or at times dine out...

actually cooking is fun and i like cooking but i dislike washing up so normally its my hubby who volunteer to do the washings... but sometimes i also lazy to cook too if i'm tired...:tlaugh:

Last edited: