Salt and soya sauce required for making baby's food?

shulyn

Hi mummies,

Is the above needed for preparing baby's food? My understanding is NO NEED but my auntie is making me confuse...She happen to pop by my mum house and saw my mum feeding my 6 months old baby eating porridge. My mum do not add any salt nor soya sauce, she say no matter what baby food need to add in abit of salt or soya sauce. My auntie say in human body, we need the following...Is it true?

Btw, the old folks say when we first started porridge, fish should be started later? Is it true? I wanted my baby have fish daily but my mum heard from my auntie again, say can only offer 1 week later for FISH.

I'm curious, is it true? Please advice.

Many thanks!

yakii

Hi mummies,

Is the above needed for preparing baby's food? My understanding is NO NEED but my auntie is making me confuse...She happen to pop by my mum house and saw my mum feeding my 6 months old baby eating porridge. My mum do not add any salt nor soya sauce, she say no matter what baby food need to add in abit of salt or soya sauce. My auntie say in human body, we need the following...Is it true?

Btw, the old folks say when we first started porridge, fish should be started later? Is it true? I wanted my baby have fish daily but my mum heard from my auntie again, say can only offer 1 week later for FISH.

Many thanks!
for my DS we didnt add anything salt or soya till he is 1yr old then we add a little soya sauce to taste. As for fish we started him at 9mth cos doc say dun start fish till 9mth so we listen think scare of allergy.

raeka

I never add salt or soya sauce. I strongly disagree.
I use the fish bone to cook the soup base, as for porridge can mix with vegetable , pumpkin, sweet potatoes, potatoes, carrot and others.
I add cod fish to my boy porridge.

My boy start to eat porridge when he was 6.5month.

jasobias

Hi mummies,

Many thanks!
Hi
there is no need to season ur babys food.No point in introducing it at this early stage.Its not very healthy.The first meat tht u shld introduce is chicken.Chicken porridge is pretty gd.Fish i am not sure but i know there r some tht u cant introduce to ur baby this early coz of high mercury levels.

annie03

Hi mummies,

Many thanks!
Hi shulyn,

I do nt agree with your auntie, cos i have chk with my pd and also during my pregnancy i have attend the child education course n from most motherhood websites, all say tat babies do not need any additional flavourings in order to enhance their taste cos their tastebuds are still very sensitive n they will get to taste the original taste from whatever food you give them w/o adding further flavouring only till they turn one yr old but tat doesnt mean we have to add alot of flavourings to their food after tat and if nt it will cause them to grow up n have a liking of very strong taste food n therefore will nt fancy lighter taste food n too much of salty stuffs are bad for their kidneys, this not only apply to adults but for babies too and maybe worse...

n i dunno where ur auntie get these info from, sorry for saying that... we dun have to restrict fish intake just once in a wk cos fish is the best source of food for babies and of cos nt those fish containing too much mercury, you can give cod fish or 'ngoh hee' pronounce in hokkien, or even threadfin fish to them, cos fish contains omega 3 n its gd for their brain development n even we, mummies during pregnancy, our gynaes also advise us to take DHA pills (fish oil pills) which contains omega n also good for both mummy n baby's brain cos we tend to be more forgetful when we r preggy... so just stick to wat you usually give to ur baby cos only mummies know wat is best for our kids... =)

shulyn

Hi shulyn,

I do not agree with your auntie, cos i have chk with my pediatrician and also during my pregnancy i have attend the child education course and from most motherhood websites, all say that babies do not need any additional flavourings in order to enhance their taste cos their tastebuds are still very sensitive and they will get to taste the original taste from whatever food you give them w/o adding further flavouring only till they turn one your old but that doesnt mean we have to add alot of flavourings to their food after that and if not it will cause them to grow up and have a liking of very strong taste food and therefore will not fancy lighter taste food and too much of salty stuffs are bad for their kidneys, this not only apply to adults but for babies too and maybe worse...

and i dont know where your auntie get these info from, sorry for saying that... we dont have to restrict fish intake just once in a wk cos fish is the best source of food for babies and of cos not those fish containing too much mercury, you can give cod fish or 'ngoh hee' pronounce in hokkien, or even threadfin fish to them, cos fish contains omega 3 and its good for their brain development and even we, mummies during pregnancy, our gynaes also advise us to take DHA pills (fish oil pills) which contains omega and also good for both mummy and baby's brain cos we tend to be more forgetful when we are preggy... so just stick to what you usually give to your baby cos only mummies know what is best for our kids... =)
Hi Annie,

Thanks for the info!
I also read about it before just tat sometimes all this aunties is making me confuse...
My previous msg mention that i would like my baby to have fish daily, but heard from my auntie saying fish should introduce a week later. She told my mum to introduce vegetables, meat etc and as for fish to be introduce later...Just having alot of ??? why fish later. I call up my PD clinic before and the nurse told me fish cook with porridge can. The fish we using is Ngo fish in Hokkien...

shulyn

Hi Yakii, Raeka, jasobias and Annie03,

Thanks for the info!
I am very sure this shouldnt be added as i have read about it before. Just tat sometimes the older generation wanted to come in and give comments, it can be confusing for us...

snowbear

Hi mummies,

Many thanks!
There is no need to add seasoning to baby's food. Esp if it's a young baby, too much salt in his system may cause his kidneys to overwork, and surely we do not want that to happen.

Fish can be introduced as early as 6 months from what i read from the pamphlet about feeding baby i got from the polyclinic. Online websites (angmoh-based) will tell you to start on fish at about 10months or even later. i think just introduce fish that's not high in mercury shld be fine. My dear daughter started on fish at about 7months. Introduced her to threadfin and cod but she dislikes threadfin so i only gave her cod from then on. I give her a bit of fish every day. I think there's no real need to restrict how often you wanna give fish. :) Meat shld be given at about 8months.

For other useful info about feeding, you can try www.wholesomebabyfood.com

shulyn

There is no need to add seasoning to baby's food. Esp if it's a young baby, too much salt in his system may cause his kidneys to overwork, and surely we do not want that to happen.

Fish can be introduced as early as 6 months from what i read from the pamphlet about feeding baby i got from the polyclinic. Online websites (angmoh-based) will tell you to start on fish at about 10months or even later. i think just introduce fish that's not high in mercury shld be fine. My dear daughter started on fish at about 7months. Introduced her to threadfin and cod but she dislikes threadfin so i only gave her cod from then on. I give her a bit of fish every day. I think there's no real need to restrict how often you wanna give fish. :) Meat shld be given at about 8months.

For other useful info about feeding, you can try www.wholesomebabyfood.com
Hi snowbear, find the website useful...give me a few recipes for fruits puree...Thanks!

meiteoh

With regards to soy sauce and salt being part of one's diet, it is actually not required at all in a person's diet. We adults already obtained the recommended dose of salt per day from the non-processed sources like milk, chicken, fish (especially salt water fish), etc and even processed sources like bread, cakes, meats (ham, cured meats, cheese, dried fruits, etc) and so forth. It has become a habit to add salt and soy sauce to foods when in fact, you dont't need to.

So if adults already obtain the recommended dose of salt per day from eating normally, what more a baby? Do be careful about introducing too much salt in your child's diet or even salt from early on in your baby's diet as it may affect their future dietary habits if gone unchecked.

My step father in law who is German grew up eating salty foods like nobody's business and until today, consumes a scary amount of salt. He would add more salt in his food even though it's already salted and curded meats, which I find extremely salty, is normal for him. :/ Same goes with my mum who thinks that soy sauce is not salt (salt is salt, soy sauce is soy sauce but in fact, it's the same basic thing - to salt/flavour food). She only quit taking so much salt when the doc told her to watch her blood pressure. Even then, it's not 100% as she will complain if a dish is not salty enough although at least five other people think it's just alright.

CanCanMum

Hi mummies,My mum do not add any salt nor soya sauce, she say no matter what baby food need to add in abit of salt or soya sauce. My auntie say in human body, we need the following...Is it true?

Many thanks!
young babies are supposed to taste food in its natural taste, so for Baber last time, no salt no soya sauce nothing, no seasoning. We only used lean meat (loin) to cook as stock for the baby porridge. In fact he had been eating that until he was about 2 years old then he started to grow smarter....coz he oso ate outside food (which is fulla seasonings). My opinion is tat if u added salt into the food, it will add 'burden' to their young kidneys and digestive system. So its beta to let their young 'systems' develop first before they are exposed to all the food seasonings. And oso if u introduce seasoning so early, they might be picky eaters.

we only started solids (fish porridge - every day) when baber was 1 year old. Before tat i only feed him semi solids (Friso Crem)

CanCanMum

and oso to add, elders have lots of ideas as they relate to their past experiences....juz follow wad u ddink is correct. If unsure i always refer to online baby advises coz for me i believe in scientifically proven methods hahahha~~~~:Dancing_tongue:

stonston

Human body NEED sodium (abundant in soya sauce and salt). BUT our food naturally has alot of it already! there is NO NEED for EXTRA salt & soya sauce added to food!

Try to keep off the additional flavouring until as old as possible. My 2.5 yo son does not have additional flavouring in his food. We use natural flavouring like pork bone soup to add flavour to his food. & the longer u keep them off, the healthier their diet will be when they grow up. Giving them extra salt from young will make them hv a habit of eating salty food, which in the long run is not good for them.

pokemon97

yes, i agree with all of them. Even now when i cook porridge for my 5 yrs boy, i also never add in any sauce and he'll still eat it. I'll put in tomato, carrot, red dates, wolberry...

annie03

Hi Annie,

Thanks for the info!
I also read about it before just that sometimes all this aunties is making me confuse...
My previous msg mention that i would like my baby to have fish daily, but heard from my auntie saying fish should introduce a week later. She told my mum to introduce vegetables, meat etc and as for fish to be introduce later...Just having alot of ??? why fish later. I call up my pediatrician clinic before and the nurse told me fish cook with porridge can. The fish we using is Ngo fish in Hokkien...
No prob shulyn,

Cos i guess somehow their thinking and kind of feeding methods tend to differ from us now but cos the child is ours, we can just listen but can dun follow their instructions...

ya ngo fish in hokkien, and I have been feeding my baby fish porridge for continously 3 days n will mix in with a bit of carrots sometimes, n after tat i will give her mash potatoes also with a change n now follow by meat porridge with veg... n now i intro new fish to my baby also which is 'sheng yu' =)

shulyn

No prob shulyn,

Cos i guess somehow their thinking and kind of feeding methods tend to differ from us now but cos the child is ours, we can just listen but can dont follow their instructions...

ya ngo fish in hokkien, and I have been feeding my baby fish porridge for continously 3 days and will mix in with a bit of carrots sometimes, and after that i will give her mash potatoes also with a change and now follow by meat porridge with veg... and now i intro new fish to my baby also which is 'sheng yu' =)
Hi Annie,
How old is your baby now? I just introduce fruits (apple) to my baby cos he got constipation. The constipation cause is from the cereal, think i mix too thick. Finally my boy poo after inserting the medicine. My boy is 6 months old, how often to feed him fruits? Twice a day? And the amount? My mum told me she fed him 1/4 of the apple, is it ok?

Hi Annie,
How old is your baby now? I just introduce fruits (apple) to my baby cos he got constipation. The constipation cause is from the cereal, think i mix too thick. Finally my boy poo after inserting the medicine. My boy is 6 months old, how often to feed him fruits? Twice a day? And the amount? My mum told me she fed him 1/4 of the apple, is it ok?
Hi Shulyn,

Nice meeting u here:) Glad u started feeding yr bb Treston porridge. As the above all mummies mentioned. Fish can be added to the porridge to feed him. And no salt & soya sauce
Yes fruits puree - u can give him too. I did a list myself that u can start giving him: Pear, Pumpkin, Apple. I think 1/4 shd b enough.
How abt Vegetables Puree?

Ting

only added a bit of soya sauce in her porridge after pin turned one.
fish,i give her on alternate days cos also give pork and chicken, so take turn.
but for me, i prefer giving fish cos its softer and easier for babies to eat. would give salmon and the "ngor he" (ps, think is threadfish isit? hehe).

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
I used to boil stock to make my bbs porridge. That was more than enough natural flavouring for them.

As for fruits, I usually mixed puree with the cereal powder. That way I knew baby was getting some good fibre together with his meal. When we go out... this was especially easy as I'd freeze the puree the night before and bring it out in a container. Then when I was ready to feed baby, just add the cereal powder and mix.