Scheduled c-section.

nora23

Hey mommies,

I'm choosing c-section this time round for my 2nd pregnancy. The 1st pregnancy was an emergency c-section. So my qns are:

- What can I expect for a scheduled c-section? The gynae have not advised me the date yet though.

- And by when will the gynae fix a date for me?
- Norm will the c-section be in the morn? Can we choose the timing?
- And once the date is fixed, when am I suppose to go to the hospital?

Thanks!

tika

- What can I expect for a scheduled c-section? The gynae have not advised me the date yet though.
you should have a date in mind by the time you are in your 3rd trimester. also remember to inform your gynae beforehand about your desire (if any) to breastfeed as soon as possible after the delivery.

- And by when will the gynae fix a date for me
Inform your gynae of your chosen date and he/she will advice you whether your baby is mature enough to be delivered. Also gynae will check whether he/she is able to slot you in his/her schedule on chosen date.
If you do not have a chosen date and can't decide when, your gynae will run by afew suitable dates for you to choose.

- Norm will the c-section be in the morn? Can we choose the timing?
timing depends on gynae's availability too. It can be done in the morning (ive scheduled a morning delivery for mine this sept) or in the afternoon (like my first delivery). I'm not sure about evenings unless its emergency csect.

- And once the date is fixed, when am I suppose to go to the hospital?
If i remember correctly, your gynae will inform you to come 2 to 3 hours earlier from the scheduled delivery timing. Checking in takes about an hour or so waiting time.

My hospital was TMC. I'm not sure whether procedure is the same in other hospitals.

candy_ian

i opted for c-section too for my ds. Usually u can choose a date that u want anytime after 38wks n inform ur gynae n he will arrange a time slot for u but of cos u can choose a time n let him know n he will try to arrange for it. if ur slot is 8am u will prob b asked to fast from 12mn n get urself admitted abt 3 hrs b4 the procedure so they can prepare u.

karoru

i wanted to opt for c-section but heard that kkh does not encourage or allow that unless due to healthy issues...is it true, mummies?

nora23

We are required to fast before the scheduled c-section? Why?

My EDD is 17 Nov 09, but if I count it as 37-38weeks pregnancy, I'll be scheduled for c-section around late Oct rite?

polopolo

For me, my gynae gave me a range of dates to choose from. After choosing the date n time, must let her know cos she may have other operations or if she has a clinic, she needs to be in the clinic. So if u realy wana choose the timing, must make sure it dun clash with her clinic operating hours. If the date n time is ok for u n her, she needs to book the operating theatre too. So better do it fast.

yukimaxx

i was advised by my gynae to choose a date during my 37th week as the date was scheduled during my 38th week. reason being,my gynae does not want me to go into labor. so it is best to schedule your c-sect 2wks before EDD.

my c-sect op was done in the morning. the timing of op is usually based on the availability of ur gynae. my gynae would prefer to do so in the morning, rather than late. probably the gynae is less tired and able to concentrate better if is done early.

i gave birth at thomson medical centre. op was scheduled at 745am and i was asked to reach the hospital at 5.45am- 6am. i was pushed into the theatre op at abt 730am.

tika

i was advised by my gynae to choose a date during my 37th week as the date was scheduled during my 38th week. reason being,my gynae does not want me to go into labor. so it is best to schedule your c-sect 2wks before EDD.

my c-sect op was done in the morning. the timing of op is usually based on the availability of your gynae. my gynae would prefer to do so in the morning, rather than late. probably the gynae is less tired and able to concentrate better if is done early.

i gave birth at thomson medical centre. op was scheduled at 745am and i was asked to reach the hospital at 5.45am- 6am. i was pushed into the theatre op at about 730am.
Wow, yours is pretty early. My gynae gave me the same reason too. She wants to avoid the chances of me going into labour. I had my first csect on my 37th week at lunchtime. I'm wondering whether I shd schedule my 2nd csect in the early morning like you ... hmmm. Maybe the quicker I get it over and done with the more time I get to rest?

nadmunzuh

I had my c-section 2 wks b4 EDD and my gynae booked the OT for me at 9.30am on the chosen date. I admitted myself at KKH at 7.00am after fasting from 12 midnite the previous day. I went to the OT at 8.45am and gave birth at 9.34am.

im scheduled for my c-section 2 wks before my EDD..however my gynae advice me for aftnn ard lunch time..so tat i can leave hse abt 10am to avoid heavy traffic in the morning...furthermore if morning c-section, need to leave hse ard 6.30 - 7am...he said i can sleep more...

as for fasting..he said fast for 5 hrs before is enough...

lo-en

We are required to fast before the scheduled c-section? Why?

My EDD is 17 Nov 09, but if I count it as 37-38weeks pregnancy, I'll be scheduled for c-section around late Oct rite?

You are required to fast is to prevent you to throw out during or after the procedure.

For me after the procedure, i was on drip for a day for i can start taking soild food.

For my scheduled c-section my gyane gave me a week of dates to choose from which is around 38 weeks pregnancy. The timing also. Most of the gyane would prefer morning cos they can start their usual consultation after the surgery.

For me, I had choose 8 am in the morning, i have to ward in the night before 10pm and the next morning around 6am the nurses will get you ready for the procedure. (The ward in timing will actually depend your gyane prefer you to ward in the night b4 or the actual morning itself).