Seafood Baked Rice

priscilla

Cook the rice in the rice cooker as usual and prepare all the other ingredient.
Preheat the oven to 375F.
When the rice is cooked, stir in the butter and mixed vegetables.
Scoop some of the rice mixture into the baking tray and add the other ingredients like mushroom, prawns, fish, clam etc and then add a layer of cream of celery and sprinkle some cheese.
Add another layer of rice, the ingredients and a layer of cream of celery and sprinkle some cheese.
Add the last layer if rice, the ingredients and a layer of cream of celery. And this time sprinkle the cheese to cover all the ingredients.
Put into the preheated oven and cooked for about 20 minutes or till the cheese is slightly golden brown.
Served straight with salad and cream of mushroom soup.

Attachments

mar_mum

those seafood are raw when u add on top of the rice right? Will it cause the rice to have a stinko smell (those like raw raw smell)? I've tried chicken baked rice, but the chicken is cooked liao... not sure if i should try raw chicken. then bake. Any comments?

priscilla

those seafood are raw when u add on top of the rice right? Will it cause the rice to have a stinko smell (those like raw raw smell)? I've tried chicken baked rice, but the chicken is cooked liao... not sure if i should try raw chicken. then bake. Any comments?

Did not have this problem, having been doing these many times and my neighbours' children in Singapore who are fussy eaters love it too. Of course when you make this dish, make sure all your ingredients are fresh.

The seafood will be overcooked if you are going to cook it first.

Last edited:

stonston

for seafood it should be cooked, if not the rice will have a stinky smell...
or at least lightly cook with some seasoning first...

stonston

Pris, seafood will not be overcooked unless u bake too long....u should lightly cook e seafood first...not onli for better taste but more for safety reasons....

priscilla

Stonston, do not have to cook the seafood first, as seafood cooked much faster compared to meat like chicken, pork or beef.

It does not give the smell at all, since all the seafood are freshly bought and used on the dish.

Cooking them before hand will overcook it when you baked the rice in the oven to let the cheese melt and brown.

So far, I did not have this problem, have been doing this for many years and did not have the problem with it and my nephew who does not eat prawn as he finds them stinky, eat this dish without complaint too and with second helping. And the best part he eats all the prawns and other seafood in here.

And my neighbours' children are really fussy over food eat it, so if it has the stinko smell, they will not always ask me to share with them whenever I cooked this dish. In fact, have taught a couple of my friends to cook this as it is a balance meal and none has this problem.

Overcooking food will lost the nutrients and it also depend on how food are been handle before cooking. Once food are cooked, the bacteria are killed.

Here's articles on overcooking food and its harmful effect:

Nutrition Center - Articles and Nutrition News From Health and Age

Cooking, Malnutrition and Cancer ARTHUR BAKER, MA / Living Nutrition Magazine v.10 2001

Here's about how to handle food and food safety: Fish can be cooked at 145F.

[SIZE=-1]www.giantfood.com/resources/giant/pdf/safefood.pdf [/SIZE]

Here's a video on what happen to overcooked food:

Jumpcut - Health Drawbacks to Overcooking Food

Last edited: