Send kids to study abroad

linda1606

Any mummy here has sent or planning to send her kid/s to study abroad? Which country would be good for Finance, Business and/or Technology course?

diymummy

I studied in the UK but wished I studied in the States.

UK structure of lessons is much like in Singapore. Pretty classroom/lecture room based.

I did Comp Science there. They don't require you to do attachment and most unis offer direct hons if that's what you're looking for. Without the industrial attachment, the exposure wasn't that great.

linda1606

Thanks all for the suggestions. UK is definitely one of my choice. Never thought of US though. I think it's worth considering. I'm also thinking of Switzerland. Heard they have good Finance course. Does anyone know if there'll be any education fairs that will be held in Singapore in the near future? Read in one magazine that there'll be a Swiss Education Fair at Hilton on 28th Feb. I'd probably go there to find out more info on Swiss unis.

Ting

I would say US is a much better choice as compared with Australia.
really??

KW did mention he was thinking of sending pin to aust when she grows older. though i do hope she can make it to the local unis.

stonston

If you want exposure which will help you with your work in future, US is the better option. Australia is the more convenient and economical option for most Singaporeans. I'm hoping my sis can get a scholarship to a US uni like me so that we can go over together :)

Ting

ic~
but US would be more dangerous would it??
im cool with sending her abroad for studies if its gg to help her..
of cos if we also hv enough cashflow to do that..
but then again, she's only 3... at least 15 more years~

diymummy

Thanks all for the suggestions. UK is definitely one of my choice. Never thought of US though. I think it's worth considering. I'm also thinking of Switzerland. Heard they have good Finance course. Does anyone know if there'll be any education fairs that will be held in Singapore in the near future? Read in one magazine that there'll be a Swiss Education Fair at Hilton on 28th Feb. I'd probably go there to find out more info on Swiss unis.
You can call up British Council to check when they have the Brit uni fair. Same goes for Aussie uni fairs.

diymummy

ic~
but US would be more dangerous would it??
im cool with sending her abroad for studies if its gg to help her..
of cos if we also have enough cashflow to do that..
but then again, she's only 3... at least 15 more years~
Not all parts of the US is dangerous. The more prestigious schools are in very nice neighbourhoods.

Course aside, I find that studying abroad really helped me in terms of life skills and soft skills as well as learning to adapt and stuff like that. It really is an experience of a life time. :)

meiteoh

I just spent nearly two years in Switzerland - if given a choice, I wouldn't study any business-related majors or communications (PR, mass comm, etc) there as the country isn't as dynamic as the US and is very much "closed". Switzerland is much better for things like hospitality and tourism studies or MAYBE engineering.

wainoh

Achieve has college test prep courses for students who wish to further studies abroad, IELTS, SAT and TOEFL.

Teachers are experienced and lowest rates in town. Discounts for all courses enrolled.

Please call 64558470 or 92727638.

farahnaz783

my mother has sent my sister to the study for the higher education so we decide US because its best if you compare it to Australia and its practical system in finance is excellent and their standard of study is very famous in all over the world so you can take admission their without any hesitation ....

stitchgal

Hi Guys,

I've studied abroad in the US for the past 4 years and had just returned to SG in October.
It's a life-changing experience for me I had say and if I could pick again, I would still study in the US.
If you have any questions regarding sending your kid abroad, especially the US, feel free to shoot me any questions. I'll be glad to answer them!

Ekari

Study abroad provide a special experience compare to those who study locally for sure. Whether or not that experience is useful will still be based on the student feels.

posh

I would choose US for my kids next time. Thats why I scrimping and saving hard for their future.