'Sensitive' topic

Babo

Hi

i would like to know (or if u are afraid of being judged u can also pm me) how many here have given some form of medication for a toddler on long haul flights to aid the toddler in sleeping. I don't intend to get into a debate if it's morally right or wrong or to be called that I'm 'drugging' my child. And its not that I have no intention of entertaining my kid or that I'm selfish and I want my sleep.

I have prepared a host of toys and activities, iPad loaded w cartoons etc and coloring books and play doh. However just recently the kid behavior seem to change for the worst and on a short flight the kid cried and screamed all the way. Needless to say I endured looks and nasty comments from other passengers. But that's given since there will always be people who can't stand kids on plane. Just like how I was when I was younger and not married.

I just want to know how many have done it and what was the med given. I know of many mothers who do it overseas in US/UK where long haul flights is inevitable and it's always heavily debated. However over here I haven't seem to have heard any?

sunnykids

Hi @Babo. No worries about this 'sensitive' question. I usually would avoid giving my kids meds unless absolutely necessary or if they are sick. To be honest, I think many small kids cry and scream on flights because of the air pressure in their ears. They're too small to tell the parents or voice out their discomfort and pain, so they end up crying. What I found helps is to buy some sweets and give my child a sweet at take-off and landing, so they can suck on it while the plane is ascending/descending. The sucking of the sweet and the saliva helps to reduce the air pressure and discomfort. Maybe you can try something like that? :)