Shark fin during pregnancy

xueting09

im in my 10th week of pregnancy, mummy cook sharkfin last nite. i ate a bowl forgetting that pregnant woman cant take shark fin. What should i do now?

yakii

im in my 10th week of pregnancy, mummy cook sharkfin last nite. i ate a bowl forgetting that pregnant woman cant take shark fin. What should i do now?
ooh really we cant eat sharkfin?? I had a bowl last month during a wedding dinner. But guess once a while is okie as long is not too much rite

xueting09

This wat i hv saw in some forum saying tat pregnant woman shouldnt take shark fin, tuna, stingray due to the high mercury content. Sld i be asking my gynae during the next visit. im so worried about that. This is my 1st pregnancy.

karoru

it is best to ask your gynea since oready eaten...

same as me, i din know cannot eat half-boiled eggs, ate around 3 times then realised cannot eat... luckily no infection, from then onwards, don dare to eat anymore though having craving to eat sometimes...

Queenbabe

Really cannot eat half boiled egg or shark fin ? I take both when i was pregnant that time and quite a few times too but i dont feel anything wrong wif my body .

snowbear

I avoided shark's fin during pregnancy. But since you've already eaten, there's nothing you can do about it. There's probably not much harm done anyway. Dun worry too much. :)

apollo

tt time i dunno cannot eat shark fin also cos gynae only told me to avoid pineapple and cannot eat raw food.. I ate about 3 times of shark fin during CNY..

elmo493

I believe since it is a one time incident, it would do much harm. Unless you are saying you ate the whole pot of shark fin, then you will have to worry about getting stomach upset.

In fact, during pregnancy, most gynae would advise us to avoid rare food because there might be chances of bacteria infection whereby the gynae cannot use medicine to treat you as it might be harmful to your baby.

So pregnant mummy has to be really be careful in what you put into your mouth. 1 wrong move from us might be a whole life of suffering for the poor kid.

I was surprised when I was told by my SIL that she saw in an indian movie from the TV that the husband told the wife not to take papaya as it will cause miscarriage. They didn't explained why, that's my SIL only inform me and she don't know the reason too. I have my doubt, so I go and reserach on this issue. Actually is the green/rare papaya. But to play safe I avoid my favour fruit during the whole period.

I found this in the net:
If you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant, avoid eating papaya or using a papaya product. Papaya is sometimes recommended for soothing indigestion, which is a common ailment during pregnancy. Although a fully ripe papaya is not considered dangerous, a papaya that is at all unripe contains a latex substance that triggers uterine contractions. 1 Contractions of the uterus could lead to a miscarriage.

Last edited:

princessminn

i had 3 bowls of shark fins for my current pregnancy lei.
i guess not everyday shld be fine ba.
half boiled eggs?
i had some too.
whenever hb acc mi for checkup,i'll make it for him and myself oso.
no problem till now.
so i guess is fine?

camomile

oh no, i ate the whole packet of preserved papaya! .. u know the yellow orange colour, with a crunch.... I thought its good to curb nauseous-ness... morever i really like it. anyway that's 2-3 weeks ago. Didn't feel anything much negative from it, such as cramps or threatening sting of abdomenial pain...

but its good, now I know, I shall avoid having that again.

Heng ah! :001_302:

CynCyn

I had sharkfins as well for both pregnancy . Nothing's wrong as long as you eat in moderation .

cui_er

I don't think 1 bowl of shark's fin will do much harm, besides u already took it so no point worrying too much about it. Nowadays shark's fin not so concentrated and thick anyway, 1 bowl I don't think u get much shark's fin really into your tummy. :)

HoneyBuns

I think a bowl of sharksfin should be fine.

Usually doctors recommend avoid eating fish with high mercury content and this includes shark. However, sharksfin soup usually has very very little shark meat to begin with. This is in contrast to shark meat dishes in western countries where you eat an entire piece of shark meat ( kinda like fish and chip portions of the "meat") .

So yeah, dont think anything to worry about!

Hope this helps! :)

tinklish

Jus wondering. How about taking the soup but not eating the sharkfin? will it be fine. Im going for birthday dinner soon at Rama Thai..and of course there will be sharkfin. Should i avoid taking it?

SunShine07

actually there is a lot of food that is not adviseable to consume. most commonly is raw food or not fully cooked food like half boiled egg. Whenever i consume any food i always make sure the food is fully cooked.

Food like ham, hot dog, blue cheese (for me i dun take cheese at all, scare of the bacteria) yogurt also better dun take. high mercury food also include those 'big' fish. Bigger fish contain lot of mercury in them as well as the fish that use to make the otah otah also......

apollo

actually there is a lot of food that is not adviseable to consume. most commonly is raw food or not fully cooked food like half boiled egg. Whenever i consume any food i always make sure the food is fully cooked.

Food like ham, hot dog, blue cheese (for me i dun take cheese at all, scare of the bacteria) yogurt also better dun take. high mercury food also include those 'big' fish. Bigger fish contain lot of mercury in them as well as the fish that use to make the otah otah also......
i took ham and hot dog tt time when i dunno tt i'm not suppose to take but stop taking aft knowing it's best to avoid.. yogurt cannot take?? i've been craving for it =(

apollo

Jus wondering. How about taking the soup but not eating the sharkfin? will it be fine. Im going for birthday dinner soon at Rama Thai..and of course there will be sharkfin. Should i avoid taking it?
actu eat 1 bowl nvm de la.. but since nw u noe cannot take le, mayb just eat abit "yi si yi si" or just dun take... tis wkend i also going for birthday dinner. i told my hubby i'm not going to take sharkfins IF there's any since nw i know cannot take.. cos tt time we dunno can take anot den my in-laws side keep said CAN take and tt few days I took 3 bowl!!!! %$#%^$&*^&*^&*

SunShine07

i took ham and hot dog tt time when i dunno tt i'm not suppose to take but stop taking aft knowing it's best to avoid.. yogurt cannot take?? i've been craving for it =(
For me i think it is best to avoid even though cheese and yogurt are good source of calcium. Because it is made of fermented milk....so it does contain certain kind of bacteria....

Me kaisi loh, so whenever that i don feel safe, i won't take the risk...

whenever i go hawker stall for the ban mian, i always ask them not to add the egg, just in case they didn't fully cooked it....same goes for hor fun or miu fan with the egg also....hehhe i super kaisi la:tlaugh:

during that time i also avoid coffee, tea, coke, choclate....all these contain caffeine....but once a while ok lah, sometimes i also got craving for these....:Dancing_tongue:

tinklish

Hi! I thot ham is ok if you thoroughly cook it? isnt it?? oh no..if cannot, then no more subway for me!

cheese also cannot? but i often take cheese bread.. oh no...

apollo

Hi! I thot ham is ok if you thoroughly cook it? isnt it?? oh no..if cannot, then no more subway for me!

cheese also cannot? but i often take cheese bread.. oh no...
actu i ate lotsa ham and almost everyday before I know that ham actu not good for preg.. hehe.. cheese i still eat, those kraft singles.. from what I read on books and websites, only certain cheese cannot.. i think is those expensive expensive de cheese?? LOL:tlaugh: