Sharp, stabbing pains at upper abdomen

babybull

I'm now 37 weeks and 1 day pregnant, and have been experiencing sharp, stabbing pains at the upper abdomen since yesterday evening. At first i thought it might be gastric pain, but i've been experiencing the pains a few times per hour ever since then, and i'm still getting it now.

The pain isn't caused by baby moving, and doesn't go away when i change position. Its intensity and duration varies from just a mild twinge to sharp, stabbing pains lasting for a few seconds, and comes at irregular intervals; sometimes 2-3 minutes apart, or perhaps 10-20 min before the next.

It doesn't seem like labour pains to me, dont't think its BH either... has anyone had this before?

But anyway i called the Kandang Kerbau Hospital helpline this morning, and all the nurse said was to monitor the pains and go to the KK delivery ward if it worsens.

I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow noon, should i just wait til i see him to ask about the pain?

Can the pains i'm describing be a sign of labour? I've only heard that labour pains are like menstrual cramps...

babybull

Hi Jasobias, you're right, those were contractions... being a newbie and first-time mother, i didn't know better and it didn't help that pain from the top appears to be somewhat uncommon. Everyone told me contractions were like menstrual cramps (which i am very well acquainted with!)

Somemore, what with the pain plus worsening backache i should have known better but still guai guai turned up for work.. =P

Anyway, went in to the delivery suite last night around 9 plus cos hubby was worried... they monitored me for an hour, and said that i've been experiencing mild contractions, but cervix not yet dilated. so sent home to wait.

oh, and btw the cervix check was sooooooooo painful! never had it done before and i was really caught off-guard.

the medical officer asked if i needed painkillers, i stupidly said "no"... now sorta regretting it! cos the cramps definitely more painful now.. wonder how much longer the contractions will go on... days? weeks?

i'm a lil worried because though baby is now full-term, she is still very small, only ard 2kg at 35 weeks. hopefully she'll be at least 2.5 now if i'm delivering her soon..

jasobias

Dont worry lah babies will put on abt 350g a week after 35-36 weeks.So by time u deliver baby shld be over 2.5 kg.
As for painkillers u can take normal panadol.Iused to take it esp at night coz cant sleep .so damn painful.Gynae gave the go ahead.
Most of the time dilation takes quite a while.U can dilate 1cm but it may take weeks b4 uopen up any further.Since u still at 35 weeks just rest more first .Sleep on ur left.Also drink lots of water.
Dont worry abt it..u n baby will be fine

babybull, if you cant stand the pain you can email your gynae to prescribe you painkiller, cos i heard panadol sometimes dont work.
do get lots of rest and dont tire yourself.

i was admitted at KK too for the past 3days as i have contraction every 3-5min but i have no pain on tummy, only on back and pelvis. but i started to get abit cramps above my bellybutton this morning, the doctor told me that could be early labor but false labor also pain around that area, if active labor the pain will be on whole tummy.