Shaving down under

cinnamonroll

Hi hi..
I was just wondering if you mummies shave/wax down there? Feels embarrassed everytime I visit the gynae. But i do hate the feeling of hair growing out, its pokey and itchy. Haha.. please share your thoughts. Thanks! :001_302:

pocus2000

I believe gynaes, like most doctors, seen their fair share of "down under" so there's no need to be embarrass whether share or not. Anyway by the time you hit 2nd Trimester you don't even need to ultrasound from down under, the tummy can liao so the exposure of down under will be cut down.

During delivery? I think you will be more concern about the pain and baby...lol

diza

Try waxing then.. If u find it hard to shave, get hubby to help. I think before giving birth, it's better to shave it off.

ling.er

I amost shave every week till now my 3rd trim... Just est the area & shave...
As other mum saying...

When giving birth that time/day , nurse will shave for you.. So no worry about it.

pinkk11

i went for waxing. cleaner and hair does not grow back as fast. not as prickly as shaving also.
my last wax was at 24 weeks. next one will be nearer my due date. :)

pixie

I shave. Even durign my pregnancy, I did not stop. At the 3rd trimeste,although I can't see my down under, it did notgive me an excuse to ignore it. I just shave by 'feel and touch'; at least to remove as much as I can feel.

Shaving are for several reasons -
1) personal hygience and grooming. I dont't like the feeling of being a 'gorilla in the midst'- can you visualise how hairy gorilla look?
2) I do not feel great to have a mass of down under hair and imagine giving birth naturally, my baby's face go through the birth canal 3) I dont't feel great having nurses or gynae to help me shave that part. Bit of 'paisei'

So it's a personal thing. If you hack care, then there will be no issue.

Last edited:

cinnamonroll

I heard that waxing is like super painful especially during pregnancy, as there is more blood flow to that area. I usually shave and have not waxed before, don't think i wanna try that now.

I have been reading on the internet, some ppl say that hair down there prevents germs and what not from passing on to the baby. Some say the opposite as there is a reason for hair to be there. Duno which to believe. Sometimes there are cons reading too much on the internet~~

diza

for me personally, I feel that I will have more germs clinging onto those pubic hair if i never shave/wax.. just like our hair, the longer it is, the harder to manage unlike short hair or better still totally bald. hehe

I used to shave but now i just trim and keep them neat. Reason is i hate the prickly itchy feeling when the hair grows. During my 1st pregnancy i shaved all the way till delivery, i have quite a big episiotomy cut which is painful and the prickly little hair just makes it worse, i was so irritated and since then i never shave it bald anymore

Then during my 2nd delivery my hubby helped me trim it short, i had episiotomy again but this time minus the itchiness! Its a big relieve honestly!

So its all personal choice, anyway my hubby dont like the look of it being bald, so yeah just do what's comfortable for you and your partner.