Should I be worried?

meiteoh

Poo question coming up!

Eva started solid food on the 5th with the four day rule in place. I didn't track her poo in the first week but it was still quite liquidy like BM poo.

When we were into the 3rd day of peaches (I started with rice for four days and then peach), it got pasty and she pooped on the Jan 11, Jan 12 and again on Jan 14. Jan 14 was when I started pumpkin...since then, she would poo during lunch and dinner while I feed her every day BUT it's very little compared to before. Before, it would be a lot but now, it's like 20 cent coins. It's paste-y, almost like soft cookie dough - a little more soft, stickier and slightly fluid.

I've just switched to plum puree today for breakfast, lunch and dinner (more like watery puree), and things are still the same - just now, during dinner, she tried to poo but nothing came out. Just some sticky poo stains. She doesn't turn super red or anything like that - usually she'd pause in the middle of a feed, shiver a little, grunt once or twice, maybe turn a little pink (this depends but this afternoon, this didn't happen), and I'd hear gas sometimes and she'd continue eating like normal.

Because she has never been intro-ed to the bottle, she also started taking water from a sippy cup on the 5th. She doesn't drink that much - at most 50 mls a day - but her wet diaper count is good. In fact, all her diapers now are heavier than usual. I do tummy massages and bicycle movements at least three times a day and she has a warm bath/soak once a day. Her tummy is soft, she doesn't feel bloated and her fussiness is more from teething, sleepy & being sticky and etc than constipation.

The thing is this - tomorrow it'll be the fourth day without a lot of poo. Should I be worried or is some poo better than no poo at all?

Last edited:

uddermummy

my girl's poop patterns changed after she started on solids. She used to fill the whole diaper, but now, it's like what you're experiencing, a bit of play dough poop now and then. Sometimes, she doesn't poop every day. If she stores up her poop, she will have quite a lot at her next poop session. :)

I only get worried when she passes out really watery poop that is just coloured water with no solid poop in it. She kenna this type of poop after she was given some table foods by some pple. :(

apollo

Poo question coming up!

Eva started solid food on the 5th with the four day rule in place. I didn't track her poo in the first week but it was still quite liquidy like breast milk poo.

When we were into the 3rd day of peaches (I started with rice for four days and then peach), it got pasty and she pooped on the Jan 11, Jan 12 and again on Jan 14. Jan 14 was when I started pumpkin...since then, she would poo during lunch and dinner while I feed her every day BUT it's very little compared to before. Before, it would be a lot but now, it's like 20 cent coins. It's paste-why, almost like soft cookie dough - a little more soft, stickier and slightly fluid.

I've just switched to plum puree today for breakfast, lunch and dinner (more like watery puree), and things are still the same - just now, during dinner, she tried to poo but nothing came out. Just some sticky poo stains. She doesn't turn super red or anything like that - usually she'd pause in the middle of a feed, shiver a little, grunt once or twice, maybe turn a little pink (this depends but this afternoon, this didn't happen), and I'd hear gas sometimes and she'd continue eating like normal.

Because she has never been intro-ed to the bottle, she also started taking water from a sippy cup on the 5th. She doesn't drink that much - at most 50 mls a day - but her wet diaper count is good. In fact, all her diapers now are heavier than usual. I do tummy massages and bicycle movements at least three times a day and she has a warm bath/soak once a day. Her tummy is soft, she doesn't feel bloated and her fussiness is more from teething, sleepy & being sticky and etc than constipation.

The thing is this - tomorrow it'll be the fourth day without a lot of poo. Should I be worried or is some poo better than no poo at all?
ds also! recently his stools has been those marble type... abit only and hard.. i think gonna do with they started solid foods.. i realise aft i fed him prune puree, he can pass out his stool easier and not as hard... it works lik a 'laxative' i think cos can pass out more stool aft eating.. haha

meiteoh

Thanks ladies! Am glad to know that I'm not the only one facing this...

Am happy to report that she pooped again and this time, it's way more than a 20 cent coin - it's like toothpaste-playdough, quite soft and sticky and about 1.5 inches long and 1/2 inch thick (of course I didn't measure exactly - estimate la). I didn't even know she pooped until I changed her diaper! :p

One of my friends mentioned that what I got a few days after starting her on solids was transition poo and now her body is starting to churn out "real" stool.

My mum also brought up one thing - how much comes out depends on how much that goes on and I am embarassed to say that I forgot that I'm not feeding her much solid food - just about 30 to 50ml of the stuff drowned in water on top of the water she's already drinking!

Nevertheless, will bring this up to the paed and see what he says. I'm planning on intro-ing barley next and if she takes to this well, will give this to her instead of rice as I read that it helps with preventing constipation. :)

diymummy

My boy poops less after starting solids and the poop gets pastier and stinkier. Wait till she starts meats! Haha.

Anyway, as long as her tummy is not bloated and is still feeding fine, it should be ok. You should try to track her current "new" poop pattern so that you'll be able to recognise later on if she is constipating or having loose stools when you start other foods. Usually fruits and veges won't cause that bad a constipation or wind in tummy unless you're feeding her cabbage, broccoli or cauliflower.

meiteoh

diy, *nods* Am not planning on starting meat any time soon - following the angmoh track for weaning and only introducing meats around 8 mths.

Yeah, I've been tracking her poo frequency as well as condition by marking on a small calender that I have. :)