Should I go to Mount Alvernia or KK Hospital?

ivy_mummy

Hi all,

I'm a first-time mum. I cant' make a choice of having my baby deliver in Mount Alvernia or KK hospital. Those who experienced with either one or both hospital, do leave your feedback for me. Thanks. :tsmile:

jasobias

Hi all,

I'm a first-time mum. I cant' make a choice of having my baby deliver in Mount Alvernia or KK hospital. Those who experienced with either one or both hospital, do leave your feedback for me. Thanks. :tsmile:
My choice wld be definately Mt.A.Since its ur first baby u wld want the whole experience as smooth as possible.At KK it depends on ur luck..the dr u get,the mood of the nurses..etc.

yan2

My experience with KKH is good.....good service in private suit...nice gynea Dr Tham and nice nurses in the delivery suit.

ivy_mummy

My experience with Kandang Kerbau Hospital is good.....good service in private suit...nice gynea Dr Tham and nice nurses in the delivery suit.
Yan2,

Private suite is it mean that is single bedded room? You went thru normal delivery?

Phoebii Cheng

I also delivered at KKH.....cos' the gynae recommended by a fren....Dr Irene Chua from The Private Suite too....she's even more kan cheong than us, when I was pregnant, more the better be safe than sorry type.....and when I was abt to deliver, she happens to b on holiday, but her buddy doctor, I forgot her name is also very nice....

Ultimately it is your choice.....what abt ur gynae? do u have a gynae yet?:tlaugh:

azilah

Hi

I've encountered 2 bad experiences during my 2nd and 3rd pregnancy at KKH. My 2nd pregnancy, I had a miscarriage on my 4th month whereas my 3rd pregnancy,on the 3rd month, I've changed from KKH to East Shore Hospital.

Therefore, I would suggest you go to Mount Alvernia instead of KKH.

Thks
Zila

Catty

I would highly recommended Mt. A as their service, environment and food is the best comparing to KKH..

I could say that KKH services is depend on want ward u stay, if u choose a cheaper ward = simply dun care & lousy service, if u choose those ex ward like private suite = good service..

As for Mt.A is totally different no matter which ward u take, their service and everything is the same tat good..

WEN_9117

I would highly recommended Mt. A as their service, environment and food is the best comparing to Kandang Kerbau Hospital..

I could say that Kandang Kerbau Hospital services is depend on want ward you stay, if you choose a cheaper ward = simply dont care & lousy service, if you choose those ex ward like private suite = good service..

As for Mt.A is totally different no matter which ward you take, their service and everything is the same that good..
Hi Catty, yes I agree with u, for my first child I say @ KKH and is also depad on ur luck , they didn't serve Confinement. Than for my 2nd child I choose Mt Alvernia yes I can say the service is gd. Thumb up I Njoy the stay

ivy_mummy

I also delivered at Kandang Kerbau Hospital.....cos' the gynae recommended by a friend....Dr Irene Chua from The Private Suite too....she's even more kan cheong than us, when I was pregnant, more the better be safe than sorry type.....and when I was about to deliver, she happens to b on holiday, but her buddy doctor, I forgot her name is also very nice....

Ultimately it is your choice.....what about your gynae? do you have a gynae yet?:tlaugh:
I do have a gynae from a clinic near my house. His name is Dr Don Wong. He said he will be the one helping me to deliver my baby however I need to choose from either Mount A, Mount E or Thomson Medical. On the other hand, I wish that I can pay in cash as low as possible. Hence thinking of whether I should go KK or Mount A (been to Mount A for maternity tour, loved it):tlaugh:

Domique

I delivered at Mt A becoz my gynae is there!
The service is great, the people are nice! If i were to have another kid, I will go back Mt. A without hesitation!

Catty

Hi Catty, yes I agree with you, for my first child I say @ Kandang Kerbau Hospital and is also depad on your luck , they didn't serve Confinement. Than for my 2nd child I choose Mt Alvernia yes I can say the service is good. Thumb up I Njoy the stay
My 1st child was also delivered in KKH that's why after a bad experince i immed blacklist them, i realli had a nice, comfortable and happy stay at Mt. A for my 2nd & 3rd child too.. :red:

Catty

I do have a gynae from a clinic near my house. His name is Dr dont Wong. He said he will be the one helping me to deliver my baby however I need to choose from either Mount A, Mount E or Thomson Medical. On the other hand, I wish that I can pay in cash as low as possible. Hence thinking of whether I should go KK or Mount A (been to Mount A for maternity tour, loved it):tlaugh:
For ur info, my 2nd child (4 bedded, normal with epi) i paid $1300 deposit (old price) and after i discharge i still get back a refund of $500-$700

My 3rd child (2 bedded, normal cum vacuum with epidural) i paid $800 deposit and after i discharge i only topped up a $250 cash and the rest is deduct from medisave..

Phoebii Cheng

I do have a gynae from a clinic near my house. His name is Dr dont Wong. He said he will be the one helping me to deliver my baby however I need to choose from either Mount A, Mount E or Thomson Medical. On the other hand, I wish that I can pay in cash as low as possible. Hence thinking of whether I should go KK or Mount A (been to Mount A for maternity tour, loved it):tlaugh:
Hi Ivy,

I think if ur gynae asks u to choose bet the hospitals that he resident, then u choose Mt A since it is highly recommended by lots of mummies here.....Mount E I think quite ex, cos it's private, as for Thompson, why dun u review it as there is a thread abt Thompson Medical in this forum....

All the best, and most of all enjoy ur pregnancy :Dancing_wub:

hui_ru_88

Hi all,

I would advise you to deliver at Mount Alvernia cos I believe the services that they provide are better than KKH.

I said so as I had a very bad experience with KKH. In short, KKH nurses look down on people who delivered in private hospital and later seek treatment at there.

Here is how the story goes...

I delivered my daughter at Mount Elizabath Hospital last year- May. When she was one week old, we went back to my daughter's PD to have her check up. The PD suspect her jaundice level was high and ordered a blood test. In the end, it was true tha ther jaundice level was high- 300 plus. Thus, my PD called us to bring our daughter to either Mount E or KKH for the UV therapy.

At that point of time, my PD told us if we were to send to Mount E, we need to pay deposit for the treatment but if we were to go KKH, no payment is required as it will be deducted from Mediasave. However if we were to go KKH, my PD told us to be prepare how the nurses will treat us. Thinking of the Medisave benefits, we went to KKH. And because of that, I dare to say that is the WORST decision I ever made in my life.

Upon arrival at the ward, the nurses called us to remove my daughter's clothes and after which, they placed my daughter under the UV light. Then the nurse told us: "You can go home now. There is no need for you to stay here as there is nothing you can do to help your daughter." At that point of time, I was shocked by that nurse who made that comment. Then, I told my husband that I want to make a complaint against the nurse but my husband told me to drop the charge as he was afraid if we were to do so, the nurse would ill- treat my daughter or etc. So, in the end, we didnt make a complaint.

The next day, we visited our daughter in the afternoon again during lunch hours. I arrived at 12.30pm with my brother and my dad. Then, I brought my daughter out. At 2pm, I bought my daughter into the Nursery room again. Then, the other nurse asked me if I breastfeed my daughter or not. I told her: "since my daughter didn't ask for milk and I also dont know what time she drink her milk. How would I know I need to feed her? Moreover, I am at the lounge with my daughter. You expect me to breastfeed her in the lounge where there are so many people?" Then this was what the nurse replied: "Then, do you know you are wasting all the time and effort made by us by putting your daughter under the UV lights for more than 14 hours? Now, we got to start all over again. You only creates troubles only. Now, you better go home." At that point of time, I was so pissed off that I left the nursery room crying.

When I reached home, I told my husband I want to bring my daughter to Mount E now instead of KKH. I told him enough means enough. Moreover, KKH is now considered as semi- governemnt. If that the case, how come the service provided was a sucks one. Upon hearing that, my husband called up KKH to enquiry about how many days more my daughter need to put under the UV lights and the blood test results of my daughter (to check her jaundice level).

Another stunning reply from another nurse. "You think you keep calling and pestering us does help your daughter is it? When the report is out, we will call you. So, stop calling us." Upon hearing that, my husband and I went down to the nursery ward and look for the Nurse Manager. We complained to the Nurse Manager about her staffs' attitude and she apologized of behalf of them.

Then my husband told her that we dont want any apology from her. After all, it is not her fault. As a nurse, one should have the compassion and love towards the patient and their family members. But are the nurses practising this?

Afterwhich, we went home after making the complaint and visited my daughter. It is lucky that my daughter was discharged the next day.

So, ever since that experience with KKH, I told myself I will never bring my daughter to there anymore.

I will think, for a good quality service, one has to pay the price for it. More money = Better quality of services.

sugarcookie

I had a very good experience at KK under The Private Suite. Also, not that I'm promoting KK or anything, but should complications arise during delivery, you may be rushed to KK as the emergency facilities are there.

hui_ru_88

I had a very good experience at KK under The Private Suite. Also, not that I'm promoting KK or anything, but should complications arise during delivery, you may be rushed to KK as the emergency facilities are there.
Yes, I agree. As you can see, you got to go into private suite in order to enjoy good quality of service. That means if you were to go B and C class, you might not get this kind of service at all. However, this has to depend on your luck too.

As to going to KKH when complications arise during delivery, I do agree with you. However, all gynaes does know whether it is safe to deliver the baby by oneself or at other locations like KKH. Normally they will advise mothers to go KKH if they felt that more interventions are needed than usual.

When I was working in one of the O&G clinic, there was this patient who was experiencing contractions as early as 33 wks. As the doctor wanted to save money for the patient, he suggested the patient to go KKH to save on the hospital bills and for better care. However, in the end, the patient did not go at all. Cos her case was not so serious until need immediate care has to be provided to her. Another reason was her cousin had a bad experience while delivering at KKH private suite.

ivy_mummy

Thanks for all feedback.. I think i really must think carefully where should i go. If there is more feedback, do post it here. Thanks.

shiseru

Yeah, i am with KK TPS seeing a senior consultant, it has been pleasant so far.

During the OSCARS test, I was advised to go to clinic B, the nurses performing blood test and scanning were also very meticulous. So far, I have yet to (touch wood) encountered any nurses with bad attitude or services.

When I found out i am pregnant, my doctor suggested me to go KK becoz of my age 35, KK has the most experience in performing amniocentesis or CVS.

hui_ru_88

Yeah, i am with KK TPS seeing a senior consultant, it has been pleasant so far.

During the OSCARS test, I was advised to go to clinic B, the nurses performing blood test and scanning were also very meticulous. So far, I have yet to (touch wood) encountered any nurses with bad attitude or services.

When I found out i am pregnant, my doctor suggested me to go KK becoz of my age 35, KK has the most experience in performing amniocentesis or CVS.
As to performing amniocentesis and CVS, some private doctors in Mount Elizabeth, Gleneagles and Mount Alvernia are experienced in these areas too.

LoVeS

I will choose Mount A for sure as i haf always getting gd services frm them n as for KKH i totally blacklist them be it for my pregnancy or for my kids~