Should I start my 12 month old baby with Stage 2 or stage 3 formula?

nancy

Hi,

My baby is turning 1 yr end of May and she is still being breastfed, in addition to solid food, but without any formula. I am thinking of switching to formula after she has turned one. I have decided on Gain IQ since many mothers are feeding their babies with it. However, I was told that I should start my baby with Stage 2 first (she should be taking Stage 3 according to the age gp stated) since she has not tasted formula before and also to prevent her from getting constipation. What should I do? Should I start my baby with stage 2 or Stage 3 formula?

diymummy

What was the reason given to you to start on stage 2 first?

I feel you should go according to the age group and start with stage 3. Reason being that nutritional components will be more suitable for your child. Eg, stage 3 has more protein than stage 2 because protein is what a toddler needs to help them beef up and grow. Stage 2 still contains some level of fats which babies require before the age of 1.

autumn82

What was the reason given to you to start on stage 2 first?

I feel you should go according to the age group and start with stage 3. Reason being that nutritional components will be more suitable for your child. Eg, stage 3 has more protein than stage 2 because protein is what a toddler needs to help them beef up and grow. Stage 2 still contains some level of fats which babies require before the age of 1.
Yes, I agree with diymummy on this. By right, you should go accordingly to the age stated on the tin coz of the nutrition content.

Besides giving FM, you can also give fresh milk for toddlers above 1 year old. :)

camom

Have you been given the formula samples?? I remember for my son's case, I was given 1 tin of Mamil Gold stage 2 (?) and sachets of the correct age milk samples when he turned 1yo. Anyway, we gave them all away cos he rejected the 1st tin of sample we tried.

If I didn't remember wrongly, the lady from Dumex said that the milk tastes slightly different due to the components.

vinder79

Hi,

My baby is turning 1 yr end of May and she is still being breastfed, in addition to solid food, but without any formula. I am thinking of switching to formula after she has turned one. I have decided on Gain IQ since many mothers are feeding their babies with it. However, I was told that I should start my baby with Stage 2 first (she should be taking Stage 3 according to the age gp stated) since she has not tasted formula before and also to prevent her from getting constipation. What should I do? Should I start my baby with stage 2 or Stage 3 formula?
Hi your post says that u wanna give baby gain IQ due to many mummies giving it but its good to start with sample packs first.My elder son was breast fed for 8 mths and eating solid food.Cause of my 2nd pregnancy in 09 i stopped and when i wanted to switch him i needed to change milk 6 times before i could get a suitablr one for him.And u should always give according to baby age group.Eg Danson was 8 mths old and when i wanted to try mamex gold the consultant actually told me to start with stage 2 as it has rec vit and min suitable for my baby age.Get samples from your peads.