Should i start solid

Verona's

Hello mummies i need some help here , last 2 week my baby started to have a big increase of appetite , so from 120ml we give till 150 or even more for every 2-3 hours , yesterday she suddenly don't feel like drinking at all , last feed 5 pm then she was fussing at 8 , so we gave her milk but she rejected , we rest fr 5-10 mins then keep trying , she would drink only 10-20 ml every 5 min , i threw the milk away after she drink for 40min on & off because scare the milk will spoil . After 1 hour , around 940 , is her sleep time so we give her ( usually she will drink & sleep ) but she only drink 50ml & kept on pushing the bottle away , kept rubbing her eyes too , so we let her sleep , till 1 plus she wake up for milk , & everything is fine till 9 am she drink , sleep till 12 & keep rejecting , so i slowly give her again , she manage to drink till 120ml on & off for 30-40 mins , next we just let her play on her own &she fall asleep . I don't know whats wrong with her or should i start solid food with her ? i bought the heinz organic 4-6 months puree wanted to start when she is 6 months .. She just turn 5 month old a few days ago ~ So how leh ? need some advices ~ thanks !

d_mum

Hi Hi... think probably she is teething now... you got check her gum?? Does she salivate alot??? Sometimes baby doesnt wanna drink might due to a few reason....might having colic and she feel uncomfortable and also teething will also make her feel very cranky and doesnt have appetite to drink at all... :Dancing_wub::Dancing_tongue:

Verona's

Hi Hi... think probably she is teething now... you got check her gum?? Does she salivate alot??? Sometimes baby doesnt wanna drink might due to a few reason....might having colic and she feel uncomfortable and also teething will also make her feel very cranky and doesnt have appetite to drink at all... :Dancing_wub::Dancing_tongue:

Yup i checked i can't see anything but i feel something , i give her teether during her activity time . She got drool but not much :) i did apply oil & also give her some gripe water every 2-3 days . Thanks anyway ;)

candy_ian

I too think it's teething.. Actually I'm not sure if gripe water really helps cos so far I only apply oil on my son's tummy, no gripe water nor ridwind. Teethig just a passig phase... My son didn't drool much too when his first tooth popped.. To b ready for solids is when he shows interest in your food n able to support head well..

cocraze

My girl is like that too the past week!

Previously she had regular milk intake every 3-4 hours. Only sometimes the last dream feed she dont't finish all her milk (150ml). Or when she was ill with cough or flu her milk intake dipped.

But starting from last week, her drinking became more irregular. She would drink the first 70-90ml of her 150ml bottle, then play with the teat and push it around her mouth, as though using it as a teether or pacifier. What I do is either I stop and burp her if she looks tired or bloated. Or tell her sternly not to play. Then re-introduce the rem milk after about 2 minutes. She wld then take like 15 mins (about 3 times the amount of time) to finish the next 60-80ml. Usually leave say 10-30ml undrunk no matter what I do to coerce or Sayang her.

also just the past 3 days, she would be tired easily and grouchy after about 2 hours of wake/play time (used to last about 3-4 hours before she got sleepy and starts rubbin her eyes and ears). She also started waking up and fussing in the wee hours of the morn, whereas she always slept thru the night from 11pm-7am previously. Once she cried so much at 4am (prev feed at mn) and still finished a full bottle of 150ml milk! Then dozed off immediately after drinking (w/o burping).

The above pattern appeared just as her first two teeth appeared. She was drooling a lot for a few months already since her 3rd month

what i did when her milk intake dip drastically (from drinking >900ml/day to only about 400-600ml/day) when she was sick, was keep to the same feeding schedule as normal(4hrly). Initially I panic when she drank very little so I would make milk for her when she cry n fuss about 1 HR after her last (failed) feed. She wld still not drink much. End up both of us frustrated. So what I later did was first try with smaller feeds of 60-90ml, so that won't waste milk also. I also made milk with less powder(ie more diluted) than according to instructions. It took me about 2-3 weeks AFTER she recovered from illness, to regain to previous milk intake levels. Slowly add about 10-20ml per feed when I notice that she was finishing her feeds totally.*

To deal with her stomach wind, I routinely give ridwind (about 3-4 times a day). This helped us by reducing instances of her crying esp in the middle of the night, from not burping and having wind stuck. However, You shouldn't, unless your child also has problem with wind getting stuck in stomach and causing discomfort.

A teething toy may help? Or check whether the teats are too small or worn out? Sometimes the flow too slow they take too much effort to drink. I would sometimes loosen the teat screw in the middle of the feed to allow air to escape more easily, so she doesn't have to suck so hard. *

chiaemily

i think your baby is only 5 months old should not start on solid food.
I read that that babies should be exclusively breastfed for first 6 months of life.

perhaps can try teething cookies

Verona's

Thanks all mummies for your advice , i gave her teething toys since she is 4 month but i still not seeing any teeth :( Anyway she is only drinking 120ml every 3 hour , usually she can drink at to 150ml , is it fine , ever since she is sick her milk intake drop like mad ... I bought brown rice cereal , purree & juice ( stated 4 months & above ) But i haven not give her yet , i bought baby bites too , only tried giving her 1 piece at a time , let her learn how to taste & swallow .. Is it fine to start at 5 & half month , like half cereal & half milk meal ? How much should i give if i start like this ? Thanks all !