Should Single Mums Get Baby Bonus?

Should Single Mums Get Baby Bonus?

• Total voters

miseryt

Hi all, this is not a petition. In fact, I am a single mum and just want to know more about baby bonuses and why single mothers are not eligible for it. I intend to write a letter to MCYS and the Ministry, so please help me out by giving me suggestions and comments.

Also please vote, would like to know much.

Thanks.

stonston

The main reason why single mums are not eligible for baby bonus is because the govt wanna encourage proper family units. I think one of the ministers did mention this before when he was asked this question at one of the dialogues. I think their main purpose of introducing the baby bonus is to encourage married couples to have children (cos many cited the reason of increased cost of raising a child to avoid/delay having one or more).

So far only 1 appeal case I know of got the baby bonus. Reason being the baby was conceived when she was raped, not due to her 'rash acts'. And her family is supportive of helping her raise the baby as their religion do not allow abortions.

I understand from my other friends that if you marry the baby's father before the baby is born, you will be eligible for the bonus, but i'm not too sure about it.

I tink this has been discussed for very long in other forums, maybe u wanna try to do a google search n see if anything comes up?

miseryt

The main reason why single mums are not eligible for baby bonus is because the govt wanna encourage proper family units. I think one of the ministers did mention this before when he was asked this question at one of the dialogues. I think their main purpose of introducing the baby bonus is to encourage married couples to have children (cos many cited the reason of increased cost of raising a child to avoid/delay having one or more).

So far only 1 appeal case I know of got the baby bonus. Reason being the baby was conceived when she was raped, not due to her 'rash acts'. And her family is supportive of helping her raise the baby as their religion do not allow abortions.

I understand from my other friends that if you marry the baby's father before the baby is born, you will be eligible for the bonus, but i'm not too sure about it.

I tink this has been discussed for very long in other forums, maybe u wanna try to do a google search n see if anything comes up?
okay. i decided to bring this topic up because i felt it's an important issue. I mean, the government is encouraging singaporeans to have more children. but why can't single mums get entitled to baby bonuses? we're giving birth too. our children is going to be a singaporean too. in fact, being a single mum means you'll have a lower income than the normal 2 parent family. why shouldn't we get baby bonuses?

so i just wanted to know if anyone has any opinions on my the government is not 'trying to help' single mums.

and i also saw a girl's blog, her name is Lilian, she was getting on this topic too, though the post is prolly a year ago. Just thought i would want to bring this topic back as im a single mum myself, and my baby's father is USELESS in providing for my son, being a drug addict and boy's home boy himself. and i decided that i do not want him to be related to my kid in anyway.

and also, im from a single parent family. so i really want to find out more.

actualli why not just say this straight out, singapore government are actually not doing anything to help single mum and not taking any actions other then saying that they THINKS that children born in a 2 parents family are better, but they are actually discriminating against single unmarried mum?

ive come across many govt webbie or scheme where they say it is only for 'divorced with child custody mum', 'widowed mum' but never mentioned single mum. what actually is the diff between a divorced mum and a single unmarried mum? just that the unmarried mum never went thru the process of gettin married then divorced? if that's the case why not all single mum just find a guy and marry and then divocred so they can get assistant?

if government really thinks that being married is such a big thing, then why not they think twice again about the divorce rate. and i feel that they are always complaining, comparing and reporting about how many abortions case there are, how many divorce case there are. why does this happen?

abortions happen in teenagers usually because they are not financially independent and since the govenment is also not providing any source for us to seek help, we're nowhere to turn to. instead of long term commitment, many just decide to find few hundred dollars and abort the baby instead of giving birth to it and worrying how you're gonna earn money to feed the baby. and why high divorced rate? because many people who got pregnant out of wedlock got married in a moment of folly. they rushed into it, and then realise they are not meant to be, there's too many difference, and ta-dah~ they divorced.

and why should we marry the father of the child, just for the sake of getting the financial aids, baby bonus, maternity benefit from the government if the father of the child is a lousy one?

so the government says, it is better for a child to grow up in a 2 parents family. uh huh. true only if both parents are able to communicate and build a family. not true if both parents are forever fighting, quarreling with each other. but i doubt that they did think about it and thinks that, well it is plainly just good for child to grow up in a 2 parents family BLINDLY.

in fact, single mum needs more help then a normal family. those rich family, who are legally married to each other, give birth to a child and have more maternity leave then anyone, have baby bonus, have more privillage. but the poor us, single mum, have none. and yet they expect the company to still give the 2 months maternity leave. and the extra 2 months provided by the govt they will not give it to us. isnt it a joke? when my friends asked me about my maternity leave and i told them, oh i onli have 2 months bcos im not married. and they all asked, are you kidding? i thought single mum should have more help and benefits bcos it's gonna b harder then anione!

but nope, seems like in the eyes of govt, dey dont see it that way and dey cant b bothered about us. dey feel we're just a irresponsible bunch, esp when most of us are young and so they just deem it as immature. but well, in the end, we're the one who raise up our kids if we dont give them up for adopation, and our kids will be contributing to the society in the future. so why are we being given the harder way?

stupidyeye

huh...no bb bonus for us???omg...den how to go on????our child also singaporean leh....how can gov like dat de....if so...must well dn give birth....aiyoyo....

i think single mum shld be entitled to baby bonus lol.. single mums also very xingku.. also hv to go thrru 9mths, go thru labor pain etc.. whats the diff if they divorce after they got the baby bonus.. Personally, i think marriage is just a piece of paper convenient for us to buy house in Sg only lol..

miseryt

i think single mum shld be entitled to baby bonus lol.. single mums also very xingku.. also have to go thrru 9mths, go thru labor pain etc.. whats the diff if they divorce after they got the baby bonus.. Personally, i think marriage is just a piece of paper convenient for us to buy house in Sg only lol..
LOL. True! I mean, who doesn't want to get married, be happy and all. But why should you get married if the child's father is a good-for-nothing and he probably can't give you a good life.

and hor, his parents say they want to offer me financial support for exchange that i put his name on the birth cert and let my kid be same surname as him.

this is not fair at all!

so i refused to take money from them already, although die die also need financial help, but better than next time they take my kid away from me right?

^^

stupidyeye

LOL. True! I mean, who doesn't want to get married, be happy and all. But why should you get married if the child's father is a good-for-nothing and he probably can't give you a good life.

and , his parents say they want to offer me financial support for exchange that i put his name on the birth cert and let my kid be same surname as him.

this is not fair at all!

so i refused to take money from them already, although die die also need financial help, but better than next time they take my kid away from me right?

^^
yeah yeah yeah...true...and thanks dat u din pt e father names everythin in bb birthcert!!!if not in law...they can do anitin to fight for bb rights de....i rather ma bb no father...also dn wan to let them take away in future!!!raise bb up is very xinku...u din even bother liao...so u think i will let u tk??lol...not dat stupid bah...althogh i call stupidyeye...hahas:tlaugh:

cui_er

I do feel that single mums should be eligible to get the baby bonus. In the first place, the baby bonus is not such a huge sum or anything, i don't think there would be women that purposely anyohow get themselves pregnant just for the sake of "earning" the baby bonus. Although government might want to promote proper family units, but single mums are just a minority, and they need support equally and since their children are also singaporeans, I feel they should definitely qualify for the baby bonus.

Btw, is it only the cash bonus not qualified? How about maternity leave and the childcare fee subsidies? If those also not entitled, then very jialat... hope they'll consider changing the law. :)

stonston

From wot i heard fm my fren who is single mum, maternity leave is only 8weeks (paid by employers and is MOM regulation), no additional 3rd n 4th mth which is paid for by govt.

so far my fren nvr put her kid in CC, so i'm not sure if they r entitled to working mum subsidy or not. but i rmb when i apply for my son last yr, the principal got ask me if i'm married (cos i looked young n i went there alone to check out the place during office hours cos jus across e road from my office).

**BTW, i'm not for or against single mums getting baby bonus, neither am i discriminating agst them :)
in my earlier post i was jus stating wot i read n understand from govt policies n explanations on y they dun give baby bonus to single mums.

basically, i still feel tt the whole situation falls back on education. if they emphasised on 'abstinence till marriage' like in the 'old days' and if ppl r not so 'open' now, there'll be lesser of such incidences to begin with and this debate wont be happening?

anyway, u can try writing in to MCYS n see wot sort of reply they give. i tink many single mums will be curious to know too.

oricule

hihi, just my penny of thoughts. i guess the reason behind why single mum not entitled to BB bonus is because of many reasons..... basically, the govt just wanna raise the "quality" of singaporeans i guess.

observation:
many single parent come from a single parent family... thus the notion is that kids raised in single parent family will then tend to become single parent themselves in future, which is not healthy in the long run. Many problem kids come from broken family backgroud too.

also, there are a rising number of teenage pregnancies. i don't think the govt care about whether they emphasised on 'abstinence till marriage' etc. it's also impossible in this new age. BUT it's important to think before you act and be responsible for your own actions. have you ever wonder if conceiving the baby is more fortunate than contacting a sexual disease?? we are too complacent i guess, we think that it will never happen to us, but is safe sex that difficult as well? i think safe sex is very important lah!!! especially when you know the person whom you are dating is not someone whom u can "viewed" as a husband to you and a father to any possible children that you have.

Taking care of a baby is a lifelong commitment, and many young single mums feels that they can do it, they must do it. but then again, will a child really grow up to be happy without a complete family?

i am definitely against abortion! any life is innocent & precious! If the govt gives baby bonus to any one who has a baby, i guess they are afraid to send the wrong message to encourage young people or singles to have sex without protection. thus i believe it's pointless to appeal for the baby bonus as right now you have more other things to worry and fuss about while waiting for your baby to arrive.... because u will have to start spilling your personal bits and pieces to the authorities just for that miserable sum of $$. You will definitely need ALOT more than that to raise your kid. Why not start by researching whatever aids that are available to help single parent families? Start with your RC, and CDC... i am sure there are available.

Amulet

hmm.. i remember the MM said something like baby bonus is an incentive for married couples thus singles are not eligible?

like that, i hope in future they will not claim income tax for our single parent child as well man~

jasobias

huh...no baby bonus for us???omg...then how to go on????our child also singaporean ....how can gov like dat ....if so...must well do not give birth....aiyoyo....
i feel sorry for the single mums over this.They go through the same labour pains.Their sons go through the same NS n all this without govt support?it is bloody ridiculous.If the govt doesnt see these children as total singaporeans deserving support then maybe they shld put a waiver on the NS for kids of single mums.Its sad tht there is such a discrimination.I knwo singlemums didnt choose to be single.Its a difficult decision n full of stigmas.Its amazing wht single mums r doing for their kids despite everything working agst them.

Ting

subsidy for CC is entitled cos right now pin is in cc n i stil get the subsidy.
baby bonus wise, i also think it is unfair not to entitle us for it.

JoyBliss

subsidy for CC is entitled cos right now pin is in cc and i stil get the subsidy.
baby bonus wise, i also think it is unfair not to entitle us for it.
There's subsidy!! That's great Ting! Thanks for the good news.. Finally.. some help from our dear govt ('"~_~)

Baby bonus, ya... i stop dreaming for it... I was researching and found that to be eligible for Working mother relief or even child relief, the child has to be "legitimate"... just because we single "unmarried" mothers didnt enrol on the marriage course... our child is considered "illegitmate" for the rest of their life...

Hm... so it seems that our cost of living is also higher than other mothers if we are also not eligible for WR or CR?? ... this is a double penalty...

If there is a poll now or in future, please count me in! I'm in support for More Help for Single UNMarried Mothers"

jasobias

ALL mums shld get baby bonus doesnt matter married or not.Its so stupid this ruling.The money goes to the babies anyways.Doesnt singapore want quality citizens,how is tht even possible if they r selective abt who to help.If babies of single mums do not get these bonuses then they shld have the option to opt out of national service n stuff.Why expect them to "pay" the nation when they didnt receive any help during critical yrs?

angelia286

Totally agree with the points that you have raised in your post quoted below. Bravo! It's been just 38 weeks but I am seriously regretting not going for that S$400 operation in the first place. And now, I am trapped - trapped in a marriage with a useless guy, trapped in financial debts because of this pregnancy.

abortions happen in teenagers usually because they are not financially independent and since the govenment is also not providing any source for us to seek help, we're nowhere to turn to. instead of long term commitment, many just decide to find few hundred dollars and abort the baby instead of giving birth to it and worrying how you're gonna earn money to feed the baby. and why high divorced rate? because many people who got pregnant out of wedlock got married in a moment of folly. they rushed into it, and then realise they are not meant to be, there's too many difference, and ta-dah~ they divorced.

I married because everyone around me was against abortion. Now I am supporting for three people - myself, the unborn child and my 'husband' on a salary of S$1,200 (take home pay). Useless guy who earns S$1,000 (take home pay) per month but keeps insisting that it's not enough and spends it all on himself. And when go out with friends to eat, I got to pay for him too?

and why should we marry the father of the child, just for the sake of getting the financial aids, baby bonus, maternity benefit from the government if the father of the child is a lousy one?

Totally agree! In fact, by marrying, the financial aids and baby bonus will not even be sufficient to cover all the monies that I have paid up to now - inclusive of the living expenses that I got to pay for him too. I am up in my neck in debts incurred from this pregnancy. totally regretting not going for that abortion in the very first place.

so the government says, it is better for a child to grow up in a 2 parents family. uh huh. true only if both parents are able to communicate and build a family. not true if both parents are forever fighting, quarreling with each other. but i doubt that they did think about it and thinks that, well it is plainly just good for child to grow up in a 2 parents family BLINDLY.

Yeah~! Even before the child is born, we are already arguing and fighting EVERy single day about money. I'm fed up being the one doing all the housework, buying the groceries and YET paying for everything in the household - including two big babies - my mother and my husband holding up their palms to ask me for money. As if I am very rich like that!

In fact, I do not think that this is a environment that is good for any child to be growing up in. In actual fact, if I did not get married to this guy, I believe that the child will grow up in a happier environment as it means that my money will only be divided among myself and the child. Presently, its being used by my husband, myself and the child. So, lesser money for the child. *Shrugs*

in fact, single mum needs more help then a normal family. those rich family, who are legally married to each other, give birth to a child and have more maternity leave then anyone, have baby bonus, have more privillage. but the poor us, single mum, have none. and yet they expect the company to still give the 2 months maternity leave. and the extra 2 months provided by the govt they will not give it to us. isnt it a joke? when my friends asked me about my maternity leave and i told them, oh i onli have 2 months bcos im not married. and they all asked, are you kidding? i thought single mum should have more help and benefits bcos it's gonna b harder then anione!

but nope, seems like in the eyes of govt, dey dont see it that way and dey cant b bothered about us. dey feel we're just a irresponsible bunch, esp when most of us are young and so they just deem it as immature. but well, in the end, we're the one who raise up our kids if we dont give them up for adopation, and our kids will be contributing to the society in the future. so why are we being given the harder way?

Actually it makes sense if single parents don't get the benefits, IF their child don't have to serve the country like any other Singaporeans. If not, it just defies logic.

kinberuri

I ever check with MCYS before that single parent are not eligible to baby bonus. Be it whatever reason it is. The govt are just not sparing a thot for us.
Though i am married, my marriage is wreck with a useless man still staying alive in this world. I doesnt wan my child bc to have his name in it but no matter what the ICA or MCYS say NO. Cos it follows the marriage cert. @#$$%^ I did also enquiry if i can declare as a single mom. ICA say cannot cos its legally binded and MCYS say ... Can but no baby bonus.
Well, don u all feel that we, single mom are like been treated like nothing and forgotten. Like as if we & our bb are aint human...

NIisme

d*mn BS.
me and my husband not married. also cant get the baby bonus lo..
haiss.
poorthing wor.. my baby come out need money also wor. govt dont know think what sia..