single mother need help to rent a flat from HDB

sylviamok

hi mummies. i'm a single mother of one. my son is 18 months now. i am not married. but i need help from you. i need a house urgently for myself and my son cause i can't stay with my parent anymore, it will worsen our relationship. i tried to get help from MP. but HDB disapproved. now i'm going to try second time. anyone can help me on what to say and appeal?

Vonn55

normally HDB will approve single mum with a kid, but u've to be 21 of age n above, and i think there's some terms n condition too..
try chiong MP as many times as possible.. give all sorts of reasons like u'll be ended up slping in streets together with ur baby etc...

sylviamok

I'm 22 this year, never rom thats why it's abit hard. cos their criteria is applicant must be widowed or divorced. yea. going to chiong next coming weeks. thanks anyway

Vonn55

Oh, Young mum! heehee
Me too used to be a young mum!
anyway.. Just rmb to say as many bad reasons as possible.. the more poor thing the better :)
Goodluck babe!

IcyTaz

if im married but seperated can take?? no deed of seperate just stay seperately. but i got take oath at supreme court stating we have been staying seperately. i call them they say never divorce cannot rent.

IcyTaz

Checked the web. Cannot. Sad... Haix how long more then can all the stuff end... Seriously stressed....

FafaSann

I'm also single mom.
I have a son 9 mth old. I went to CDC with regards to get rent hse from hdb dae ask me to go to hdb. I went there they say cannot. Now I try to seek mp help but no ans. I also trying to put my child to infant care. As of now I working part time. I trying to put my son to infant care so as able to work full time. As of now my son my sis in law taking care but she can't for long as she herself have 3 kids aged 6,3&2. As of now I stay with my brother as my dad chase me out of the hse due to shame. By me staying with my brother I having difficulties to stay with him as conflict between my sis in law and her sibling. I feel so stressed I dun noe how to deal with it. My sis in law keep saying how long I going to let her take care the child when I going to put him to infant care to her I not doing enough in trying to put my son to infant care

Fafasann: am not sure if can rent whole unit; but i think can rent a room right? tell your sis in law that it's not easy to get into childcare; most of them in waiting list. when my gal was born, i was on the waitlist for infant care; till now the infant care didnt even call & my girl is like 3.5years old liao+.+eh r u married/ divorce? coz if u r, do you have the sole custody of your child? if all have, then u can apply housing? that's wad i did recently & my application got through. another way is keep going to the MP; who's your MP btw?

FafaSann

I'm not married single. I also did seek help from mp for infant care but no answer. My SIL keep asking how long more as next year will be difficult for her due need to sent her daughter to school primary 1 n son nursery . Asking me do something. My mp is under west coast GRC ms foo I forgot her full name follow by my ic address. If my brother place is under mr. Tharman.

what about those handphone bills etc; sent to west coast GRC? if its sent to your bro place, can go look for Mr. Tharman. my ic address is in CCK; x hubby stayed @ Taman Jurong & i went to look for Mr. Tharman.

FafaSann

My bill still follow my nric address only letter from CDC mail to my bro address. Is it possible for me go see mr. Tharman as I thought dae follow our nric address if not cannot see the mp

desiree94

We are also applying for rental flat. Not single mother, married but income ceiling exceed little bit of the required amount.
Our situation is like this:
Mil sold her flat due to financially facing problem and she also migrated to married her new husband as fil has passed away for very very long. She can't sell the flat to us coz cannot earn as we got no $ to give her also. Bank & hdb won't lend us such a lump sum too as only hubby working and earning just enough every month and I am SAHM preggy with 2nd child. She sold it for $400,000+ btw. Of coz we don't have that kind of money as we are 22 years old this year. Seeked MP ever since the problem surfaced around June and mil told us flat will be sold on September 2012. 3 months. Going MP non-stop. Say the same thing over again. Told them HDB disapprove, no reply etc. MP told us will write again and indicate urgent. Every time say the same thing until we are so sick of it and still have to continue go down find them right. If not find who help? Go down HDB directly they also kind of like want to push you away and say a lot ppl also need the flat, a lot of ppl also going no place stay, a lot of ppl this and that -.- so sick so sick of all those excuses! So conclusion is. Go find MP or go HDB directly, your response will be the same like what we facing.. Either tell you oh single parent?! You need urgently, YA. But we also have other applicant who is like u or even worst need it even more urgent -.- For us? Yes, told them urgent, also same thing kena shoot back. Say our income exceed little bit so on pending still. Fastest also 1 - 2 years can get or case by case basis. The things government promise us on, asking more birth rate all this. We give them but end up? What they return us when we need help on really urgent stuff. Their stupid price to buy a flat is too much also! Staying in Singapore is a chore. Very stress.. Even we email the MP in charge of Housing & Development also no use! We really give up on the thought of renting a flat from them and source from open market instead. Damn ex but what to do?? You tell them no roof over your head in few days time, today or whatever they also will say OK, I will indicate urgent and ask them to get back to you ASAP. You say only. But I really need a flat! They just won't understand.. Ask you wait & wait la. So we just seek help in other ways like ask them to assist us in childcare subsidy. They say will write to MCYS. Ok we will wait and see their reply AGAIN if MCYS going to reject us or help us!! Now my son 14 months. I want to put him in childcare when he turn 18 months. I apply now. I give them 4 months to process and I believe is more than enough time.

Conclusion. MP is really useless. About HDB stuff, I can tell you. 8/10 ppl who go to find MP are about HDB matters. HDB will not compromise so easily to those who have problems and go find MP coz if they do, everyone will think I go find MP, I sure get help in some way. This is my example, my story. You judged yourself.

My bill still follow my nric address only letter from CDC mail to my bro address. Is it possible for me go see mr. Tharman as I thought dae follow our nric address if not cannot see the mp
maybe email them your situation 1st before going to see them? coz the people helping u to register go by ic address de. if u email, @ least u got black & white that someone allowed you to go? thats what i did, like 2 years back...

Asphere

hmm i guess for single mom , best is rent a room instead of the whole flat as it will be easier this way. and get someone to look after the kid so can work full time and get more subsidizes for the childcare.whole flat i think not really possible.

hmm i guess for single mom , best is rent a room instead of the whole flat as it will be easier this way. and get someone to look after the kid so can work full time and get more subsidizes for the childcare.whole flat i think not really possible.
I agreed too:)

sugarene

Hi Sylvia

Hoped you have already solved your housing issue.

Unfortunately, I think it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to get a rental flat as a single parent. Years ago, I was on the exact same boat as you, running to the MP for the same reasons. Their answer? Domestic disputes is not a REASON we should be granted a room, you STILL have got your parents to help, no matter what.

In the end, I had to go out to the open market at pay crazy amount to rent a room with my son!

Sincere wishes that your problems has been solved, I've been through and know how hard, tough and stressed it is to be caught in such a situation. :07:

sugarene

hi mummies. i'm a single mother of one. my son is 18 months now. i am not married. but i need help from you. i need a house urgently for myself and my son cause i can't stay with my parent anymore, it will worsen our relationship. i tried to get help from MP. but HDB disapproved. now i'm going to try second time. anyone can help me on what to say and appeal?
Hi Sylvia

Hoped you have already solved your housing issue.

Unfortunately, I think it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to get a rental flat as a single parent. Years ago, I was on the exact same boat as you, running to the MP for the same reasons. Their answer? Domestic disputes is not a REASON we should be granted a room, you STILL have got your parents to help, no matter what.

In the end, I had to go out to the open market at pay crazy amount to rent a room with my son!

Sincere wishes that your problems has been solved, I've been through and know how hard, tough and stressed it is to be caught in such a situation. :07:

Gary

Alpha Male
For those who had issues with HDB... maybe i can give you a suggestion....
i used to have housing issue with HDB...then i went to look for HDB.. NO USE !!!... you know why?? All the officers in HDB are just staffs working for HDB... they got no authority to help you in any appeals... i am very sure every appeal you write to or even go down and look for them.. you will end up with disappointment. Because HDB rulings are fix. They are just HDB officers, they can't do anything about it. They can only follow the books.
End up, i look for my MP... full of hopes when looking for them, end up disappointment again. Even went to the extent of looking for MP which is not under my GRC area....answer i got when i look for the MP.. " HDB got their rules...and rules are rules...i can help you to write an appeal, but no gurantee"...dont need to say, you should know what is the outcome after 2 weeks when HDB replied to me...Rejected again!!!
during that time, i was really in a dilenma...So i was thinking why not i try writing to the Minister of National & Development, Mr Khaw boon want. Since HDB is under his charge.
Wrote to him and forwarded him all the past 2 years correspondents between myself, HDB and previous MP that i looked for.
He replied me next day by email and told me HDB will consider my appeal again.... i did not have much hope when he said "HDB" will consider my appeal again...i was thinking...sian .... should be the same old grandmother story reply from HDB again...
But, to my astonishment and surprised... HDB granted my appeal...i was so happy and i wrote back to Mr Khaw and thanked him very very much...right now, i already got my own flat and happily staying with my family...
This whole saga took me 2 years to resolve.
So my suggestion is, if you have any housing issue, you have to look for the right person to help you. If not, your problem will be stagnant there and end up you are still going round and round appealing and appealing without any result.
HDB is just a BOARD with no feelings and does not understand your problem...But the Minister in charge is a HUMAN, explain to him your genuine problem and how your problem affected you alot... i am sure he is able to do something about it...
Hopefully my above suggestion helps....

***Best thing is when u wrote to HDB urself or ask any MP to help...HDB will takes at 3 weeks to reply....but when i looked for MR Khaw, within 1 week i got the replied from HDB...

Last edited: