Slow cook or 'quick cook'?

Mum2Matty

If I am taking nap with baby, or I hv to do alot of housework, I'll use the slow cooker. I bought a small one, so it's just nice for his meal, with leftover as my "diet meal" over the weekends. Hahaa...

I usually use HOT water so that it cook faster in the slow cooker. Dun hv to worry abt burnt. The porridge & ingredients also very yummy and soft.

stonston

actualli i asked cos i read a few scientific journals abt use of slow cooker....apparently cooking slowly results in major lost of nutrients....so i chucked e slow cooker one side n do 'fast cooking'....use hot water n boil n stir fast fast....once cooked faster blend n serve....

Mum2Matty

I suppose if u r just using the slow cooker to cook over 2 hours and serve, there will be no major lost of nutrients. But do not slow cooker for half a day or more.

Coobabies

I am using slow cooker for my ds meals. Turning on the high mode, his porridge is ready is a short while. Serve whilst warm :Dancing_tongue:Yummy yummy.

maine78

If I am taking nap with baby, or I hv to do alot of housework, I'll use the slow cooker. I bought a small one, so it's just nice for his meal, with leftover as my "diet meal" over the weekends. Hahaa...
^5, me too.. i bought the small slow cooker to make ds porriage. Usually after he's eaten, will hv half bowl leftover. I'll just take tat for dinner. :001_302:

rjj

I oso use slow cooker for my ds porridge, it's more 'puree' .... which make it easier for my ds to eat.....

tenor

Alpha Male
I dunno about nutritional level, should check that out, but, I mean I do 24 hour soups all the time. and the usually taste quite good. Especially with the thermal pot. my kitchen best buddy.

yuki

i like slower cooker to cook my gal porridge with dried scallop added cos it cooked the scallop soft enough and tasty within 2 hours..enuff for my gal to chew it as well.

maMaSan

Re: Welcome to wow power leveling website!

There is a "Magic" Thermos pot... think Tiger brand also has it. Which functions just as well as a slow cooker but saves much $$$$. Just boil rice/ingredients for about 10mins, pour into the pot, cover and it'll cook by itself till you next open it.

Good for porridge, soups and stews. Doesn't even need electricity! We've used it many many times for rather good results! I believe it also helps retains more vitamins :)

dek2k8

Alpha Male

There is a "Magic" Thermos pot... think Tiger brand also has it. Which functions just as well as a slow cooker but saves much $$$$. Just boil rice/ingredients for about 10mins, pour into the pot, cover and it'll cook by itself till you next open it.

Good for porridge, soups and stews. Doesn't even need electricity! We've used it many many times for rather good results! I believe it also helps retains more vitamins :)

Thanks for info,

maybe get one and do a trial soon.
:we2Randy-git::we2Randy-git:

maMaSan

I doubt if NTUC will have it. More likely in departmental stores like Taka and Isetan / Tangs. My mil got it at Taka. Mine is the "Thermos" brand. Totally worth it. Just a note if you want more flavourful broth/stew, take the pot out to boil every 2 hours, for just 10min at a time, then put back for the next few hours.

But it works fine even without doing it. (but sometimes we like the soup to be really rich ;p)

And it saves so much on gas in the meantime!

tracyk

i usually do 'quick cook', whr i pour some herbal tonic (not herbs- which take too long) into the soup. been trying out many brands, find that the taste of this waist tonic (i think the chinese name is hui ji bu yao jing) best suits family's palate. not too overpowering and no alcohol- gd for the kids!

it's vegetarian also! other than tt i also add wolfberries- good for eyes and have sweet taste.