Son refused to eat medicine

don

Alpha Male
Good day to all,

Wonder you all have any new tricks to make your son eat med?
My son actually have phobia of taking medicine ever since he was hospitalised 2 years back.

Just last friday, he had a viral infection which resulted in high fever. Brought him to KK to c doctor on sat..

The doc gave him antibiotics and some med but he refused to eat..

All method have been tried.. putting into milk, porridge.. tell him after taking med, will give him sweets..

The problem is he dun wan to eat and he is actually have throat infection and tend to cough frequently.. after very feed, he vomit..

And now, he got phobia of everything including food and water cos he scared that we put the medicine in and at this rate, i cant feed him antibiotics anymore..

Luckily, his fever subsided.. he is actually having fever of highest 39.7.. should i stop giving him the antibiotics since he refused to drink? He will actually try to make himself cough to "acknowledge" that he do not want to eat medicine..

But one thing is he like chinese medicine.. thus brought him to c chinese doc on monday..
Thus now actually feed him medicine and after 1.5hrs of taking chinesse med, will try to feed him the antibiotics..

At my wits end..haha.. anyone got better idea to feed the medicine?

Regards
Don

don

Alpha Male
liquid medicine? try to chill it?
yup.. tried but doesnt work..
Maybe the antibiotics scent is too strong.. before reaching his mouth, ....
His mouth shut n wen try to "force", he cry n then start his merlion again..

LoVeS

For us, my son behaved the same way as ur son but we aso force feed last time n we normally feed in very very small amount while slowly giving him the enuff amount of meds. As for now we dun even need to force him...i told him to push the springer himself n he do so to take his meds~

Phoebii Cheng

My son also like your son, tried everything....but also won't take, so now we force feed him....my hubby will carry him, then I will open his mouth, shoot the syringe of med in if need be pince his nose a while then he will swallow then let go....but we give small portions at a time......

We tried making the med sweet by adding sugar and all but it does not work, and like ur son once in, he will cough until merlion, mix with milk he won't drink, ask the PD for sweet type of med, he also don't want.....so we now force feed

apollo

i nv put the medi in ds's food or milk in case he cant finish, he will no hav the enough dosage of medi taken in.

for me, i am quite 'cruel'. for medications, by hock or by crook he MUST eat! so i will just use my left hand to open his mouth and left hand shoot the medi into his mouth by using the syringe.. but someone has to help mne pin him down, hold his hands.

don

Alpha Male
i never put the medi in dear son's food or milk in case he cant finish, he will no hav the enough dosage of medi taken in.

for me, i am quite 'cruel'. for medications, by hock or by crook he MUST eat! so i will just use my left hand to open his mouth and left hand shoot the medi into his mouth by using the syringe.. but someone has to help mne pin him down, hold his hands.
What i scared of forcing him to drink is that he might be scared.. btw, he is very timid.. hmm.. so should i continue to force him?

apollo

What i scared of forcing him to drink is that he might be scared.. btw, he is very timid.. hmm.. so should i continue to force him?
IMHO, i rather to force ds take medi den add into his milk or food. cos he might reject milk or food for a time being cos he will tot tt it contains medi.

up to u, some parents are lik me, will gofor the cruel way, as long as the kidswallow the medi while some are soft hearted to do so

p/s: i only force feed medi hor, i dun force feed milk or food =)

Ting

pinch his nose then he will hv to open his mouth. then just give him 1 ml by 1 ml. after each ml just give some water.
same as apollo, will force feed med. but my pin has no problems taking meds since young.
btw, pin's antibiotics r pretty sweet, iirc, is lychee or orangey flavour..

AugBoyz

I will force feed the med to my monster using syringe when he was 1yr+ till 2yrs+, after tt he is ok, see med like see sweet haha~

One thing to take note, if u r using syringe plus aim it at the side of the mouth instead of directly at the throat. In this case the med will hit side then flow down rather then u squirt in n choke him which will of course lead to coughing n eventually vomiting all his milk+med+whatever he had earlier.

TANZHENZHI

My son is the same like yours, but i also force feed him. He's strong and when he struggle when i feed him then he start to vomit all out. But he feel better after vomiting becos the phlegm also come out together. Sometimes when we see them cry until like that really heart pain but see them sick, suffer even heart pain. We have to be more firm in giving them medicine so as to see them get well soon.

TANZHENZHI

I will force feed the med to my monster using syringe when he was 1yr+ till 2yrs+, after that he is ok, see med like see sweet haha~

One thing to take note, if you r using syringe plus aim it at the side of the mouth instead of directly at the throat. In this case the med will hit side then flow down rather then you squirt in n choke him which will of course lead to coughing n eventually vomiting all his milk+med+whatever he had earlier.
Agree with you, i also aim at the side of the mouth whenever i feed him medi now. Last time i often aim directly to his throat then he'll choked and vomit out things he eat earlier. :001_302:

AugBoyz

I used to be WWF with my monster when its med time, i will make him lie down with my legs grabbing him, left hand grab his hands right hand take the syringe n try to force him to open his mouth to squirt the med in. Both of us always end up perspiring like mad LOL Now thinking back, we must have look so comical.

Anyway, after many many times of such forcing which both of us hate to the max, i start to tell him whether he wants to take the med by himself or want me to force it. The answer is pretty obvious :D

Phoebii Cheng

I used to be WWF with my monster when its med time, i will make him lie down with my legs grabbing him, left hand grab his hands right hand take the syringe n try to force him to open his mouth to squirt the med in. Both of us always end up perspiring like mad LOL Now thinking back, we must have look so comical.

Anyway, after many many times of such forcing which both of us hate to the max, i start to tell him whether he wants to take the med by himself or want me to force it. The answer is pretty obvious :D
All kids go through this phase I guess :tlaugh:....hopefully my son will willingly take the med by himself when he is older.....

TANZHENZHI

I can imagine hahaha.. becos mine is the same like you. hahaha

don

Alpha Male
hahaha you're not alone, i think most of the mummies here has been thru it too hahaha
Hmm.. are all of you all SAHM? Cos my son not living with me.. Weekend parent.. Thus, it will be hard to bring him back on friday..lol

TANZHENZHI

I'm a full time working mum with a monster hanging around me when ever i am home LOL
Same like you haha.. But when i go oversea with hubby, he won't even miss us lor.. maybe he's too young to understand. When i drag the luggage and go he'll cry until very ke lian then when overseas i call my MIL whether he got ask for us, she say NO. So sad lor hahaha... But when we back home, he'll run to us and hug us very tight. Really very touching. haha :shyxxx: