Sore nipples as baby sucks very hard

lyra

Breastfeed pass one year and baby's sucking is getting stronger now, making my nipples tender and painful. Any advices from moms who have bf passed one year? My baby loves latching on and dislikes bottles as long as I'm around. Prefers milk to solids although he do eat but still requests for many feeding sessions, will also nurse him to sleep at night.

little5

hi lyra, i have the same experience with u.. my baby boy suck very hard from the 1st day he was born.. my nipples was hurt and even bleed.. my baby boy also likes to nibble so the BF process could take up to 2 hours.. phuiff..

on day 5, i used nipple protector to avoid the nipple contacted with my bra and clothes to reduce the irritation.. turns out it helps very much..

i try to call lactation consultant.. turns out my problem is my latch, after i fix my latch the breastfeeding process is not so painfull anymore. so my suggestion would be.. 1. if your nipples hurts, fix that 1st .. i used virgin coconut oil and still used breast shields until now 2. fix your latch, because my lactation consultant in hosp only asked if baby sucking and the whole aerola is in baby mouth.. but thats not all, after i learned the right latch from jack newman website i could sleep through breastfeeding.. (before i was even crying while BF) and believed me, few milimeter change in position makes a very big difference.. i can PM u the video link if your interested

lyra

Thanks! It's not so much of latching problem. He latches quite well since newborn but he just sucks very hard, and it only happens recently when he's one year old.

It doesn't hurt so much now. Yesterday for the whole day, I was away for 5 hrs and he's with caregiver. That allowed some time for my nipples to heal. I'll try to limit his bf during the day.