Special Needs Learning

susinlim

Hi everyone,

I'm a special needs educator & therapist.
Like to start this thread for discussion on special needs learning & behavioural challenges that parents/family members may face.

What are some of the services you would like to see that are minimally available now in our society??

Cheers,
susin:wong19:

Angelmum

Hi everyone,
What are some of the services you would like to see that are minimally available now in our society??

Cheers,
susin:wong19:
an affordable/subsidized daycare centre for child age 2 to 18yrs old who do not fit the enrolment requirement of intergrated childcare/daycare ctr. Some attend special sch but not the whole day nor every day.

It shld be a learning centre (not a place to rot) with activities (such as indoor n outdoor playground, swimming pool), art & craft/enrichment, self-help service for children/teens so that parents can work with peace of mind.... no need leave child to maid alone.

susinlim

an affordable/subsidized daycare centre for child age 2 to 18yrs old who do not fit the enrolment requirement of intergrated childcare/daycare ctr. Some attend special sch but not the whole day nor every day.

It shld be a learning centre (not a place to rot) with activities (such as indoor n outdoor playground, swimming pool), art & craft/enrichment, self-help service for children/teens so that parents can work with peace of mind.... no need leave child to maid alone.
Thanks for your reply.

Hmm... I'm aware of some concerns of parents not being able to meaningfully occupy their children after school activities. I understand that there are some childcare/daycare services under VWOs albeit few in number, and more private ones available. Any idea what the differences in the fees are like?

Angelmum

Thanks for your reply.

Hmm... I'm aware of some concerns of parents not being able to meaningfully occupy their children after school activities. I understand that there are some childcare/daycare services under VWOs albeit few in number, and more private ones available. Any idea what the differences in the fees are like?
hi
those selected integrated childcare only for child up till 6yrs old and meant for very mild, quite independent special needs child
No daycare in Sg for 2 to 18yrs old 'rejected' by integrated childcare! you know any daycare/after sch care? At affordable rates or caters to weathy ppl?
pte childcare? only know those in MCYS site, you came across any 'unlisted'?

Last edited:

susinlim

hi
those selected integrated childcare only for child up till 6yrs old and meant for very mild, quite independent special needs child
No daycare in Sg for 2 to 18yrs old 'rejected' by integrated childcare! you know any daycare/after sch care? At affordable rates or caters to weathy ppl?
pte childcare? only know those in MCYS site, you came across any 'unlisted'?
I remember AWWA set up a daycare, didn't they? I've come across of some pte care centres that cater to special needs. Let me check it up & get back to you guys. Yup some centres take in only on a case by case basis.. I've come across kids "rejected" after conditional placements. Tried Kits4Kids??

Angelmum

I remember AWWA set up a daycare, didn't they? I've come across of some pte care centres that cater to special needs. Let me check it up & get back to you guys. Yup some centres take in only on a case by case basis.. I've come across kids "rejected" after conditional placements. Tried Kits4Kids??
thanks, pls help check
too far, inconvenient eg not near mrt is a real turn-off for me

heard of AWWA & Kits4Kids special sch but there's none in the West. Also it's a sch meant for high functioning/selected children/youths, not a daycare ctr nor sch that will accept all kinds of special needs children/youths. My gal in their 'unwelcome' list.

Last edited:

stonston

If I recall correctly, my son's CC is one of those that accepts special needs children. There are quite a few in his CC at the moment. Fees quite affordable, but I'm not too sure about your girl's condition, so I can't comment if they'll accept or not. You can try asking: www.pcs.org.sg :)

stonston

Hi just interested to know , do you work in Pathlight?
Just to let you know, Pathlight isn't the only special school in Singapore. There are many other special schools in SG (govt or private or VWO). And Pathlight focuses more on autistic children (most of them have average or above average intelligence and can perform very well academically, they just lack social skills).

All mainstream schools also have teachers trained in special needs and we are called TSN (Teachers trained in Special Needs). As such, we are also considered special needs educators as we also handle special needs children on a daily basis at work. I personally have quite a few of them in my classes at school and have 1 special needs student under my tuition classes.

It's a common misconception that Pathlight is the 'only' special school as it's more prominent (frequently organising public events plus always in media spotlight recently due to new campus) :)

littlehelper

Hello thanks for the info.
I am aware of that but Pathlight is near my house and I m interested to know more about it.Wanted to ask her more questions if she was working there but unfortunately she is not.

Was about to tell angel mum about PCS.You replied faster hehe :D.

Just wondering.If there IS a child care center for special needs children would parents be willing to pay for the high fees involved to provide quality care?
As in you know jus take a austistic kid for example they are all unique individual and there is no one that is alike even for all of us.None of us are totally the same.
It is hard taking care of normal kids in a child care center with 1:8 ratio so if there were to be a special needs child care center the ratio will be lower and the teachers needed will be more.Will parents be willing to pay high fees?

Angelmum

thanks but too bad, same as
AWWA & Kits4Kids special sch but there's none in the West. Also it's a sch meant for high functioning/selected children/youths, not a daycare ctr nor sch that will accept all kinds of special needs children/youths. My gal in their 'unwelcome' list.
to know whether my gal is welcomed, I based on this Ministry of Education, Singapore: Education System: Special Education: List of Special Education Schools
my gal multiple disabilities :embarrassed:

Last edited:

Angelmum

If there IS a child care center for special needs children would parents be willing to pay for the high fees involved to provide quality care?
As in you know just take a austistic kid for example they are all unique individual and there is no one that is alike even for all of us.None of us are totally the same.
It is hard taking care of normal kids in a child care center with 1:8 ratio so if there were to be a special needs child care center the ratio will be lower and the teachers needed will be more.Will parents be willing to pay high fees?
there are child care center for special needs

quality svc means what kind of svc, what kind of facilities, 1:2? ?
high fees means cost more than $1000/month, targetting the wealthy ppl?

Last edited:

littlehelper

Quality service in the sense that -
1-teachers are well trained in the special needs area.
2-Well being of children
3-Low child to teacher ratio to make 2 possible.
4-The place that child is has proper facilities to allow easy learning.
5-Area that is safe for all.
Most importantly number 1-teachers who are able to facilitate learning.
As such there will be many teachers and pupils and will need big space.Which will cost a bomb.

Hmm yeah i guess it will only be fair to teachers to get a high pay as they are working many hours with special needs children.And can be quite tiring.In a normal child care centers the teachers are paid 1000+ so it will only be fair to be paid more working with special needs children.It would definitely be easier working just a few hours or set up a private clinic (for thos therapists) and earn more than working in a child care center.

Not exactly targeting the rich people.Cos there are also poor people who have special needs children and it is not their choice. Hopefully if there were to be such a center, the government would be willing to give subsidy especially for those who are not well off.

Yes, fees would probably be as high as 1000+/mth.
Just wondering if this was feasible.I think that what you have mentioned is something that alot of people do not notice.And i m glad to come across this thread.

Do pm me.

epicurean

IMHO "special needs" cover an extremely broad spectrum of disabilities (mental, physical etc), so need to consider where the child is at within the spectrum of functioning and dependency. Among cerebral palsy (CP) children, there's vast differentiation in levels of disability. My husband's poly student has CP, uses crutches to get around and he has graduated from poly and is also a Para-olympian in horse-riding. My friend's son also has CP, is non-verbal, non-mobile, tube-fed, breathes aided by a tube thru' his throat, ventilator and oxygen tank, had mini seizures daily, on diff types of med. Obviously one has more choices in terms of childcare options and schooling opportunities.

So tho' certain childcare centres cater to special needs children, it's usually for high-functioning, low-dependency children coz a whole different level of care is required for children with multiple disablities who are low-functioning, high-dependency. There's a lack of childcare centres for the second group and we end up taking care of them at home on our own with whatever support system we can muster within our own circles of family & relatives. And sometimes there's no support from that direction either coz they can't accept the child for how he/she is.

littlehelper

I guess it is not easy to look after special needs children and thats the reason why there is not child care center for such.
Even if there were to be one, there could only be a certain number of students in the center.For a start, there will only be one center and only some will get a place.
If it is profitable and has good feedback from parents, it would probably be able expand and cater to more pupils.

if you think about it, no centres would also dare to take the risk of care-taking for children with higher needs/dependency. Understandable, since some medical machines/equipment may be involved. So no choice, just have to care for them at home ourselves.

susinlim

Dear all,

For a list of comprehensive but not exclusive list of resources & services on disabilities, pls check out this website:
www.cel.sg

YOu may also like to check out the following if they suit your children's needs:
St Anthony's Childcare Centre

St Anthony's Childcare Centre. Our Mission. To Educate - To Form ... Children with special needs are encouraged to participate in all aspects of the programme. ...
www.saint-anthony.org/Resources/StAnthonyChildcare.aspx

ST Gerards'
Welcome to St Gerard's school website

Wee Care Singapore

Research-based infant development and early education programmes, as well as early intervention and rehabilitation for children with special needs.
www.weecare.com.sg

Will keep you updated should I find out more...

:) susin

littlehelper

yeah i agree with what yummy mummy said was looking into more of those austistic children ... there is no child care center for them besides those with integrated programmes...