SPED schools for autism kids

wendy79

hi all. i want to ask if any of the parents here send your child to St andrews autism school? My child is autistic and was recommended to SPED school. He could not meet the criteria of pathlight and we registered him into St andrews autism school. They do not have a place for him until July this year. Meanwhile, he is in a mainstream pri school and I see that he is not coping well.
I have a few concerns,
will our children be lagged far behind if he goes to SPED school?
Will they be able to blend in the society in future?

VroomTeaches

Hi Wendy,

First of all, I feel your concern for your child. Whether or not a special needs child is able to blend into the society depends on a range of factors, such as his learning ability, the educator, the allied educator (speech therapists, occupational therapists, etc), parental guidance, peer relationships, learning environment, and many more.

It will be good if the SPED school has the range of professionals (as mentioned above) to help to adjust your child's learning style and help him with his skills/learning competency as such. However, it will be even better if your child is continuing his studies in the mainstream pri school, together with classes with the allied educators and special needs education (be it school or tuition).

Just a small query, what do you mean by your other concern of being lagged far behind? In which area are you comparing with?

Vroom