Sticky toddler

pkshl

my 18mth old boy is very sticky to my hubby. At home & outside, when he cant see my hubby, he will cry nonstop until my hubby appear. If only i bring my boy out without my hubby, if he cant see me, he will cry nonstop too. is this a growing phrase? i had enrolled my boy for fulltime CC when he turns 2yrs old. juz wondering how is he going to adapt to CC since he's so sticky to us? like that how to go CC, the moment we walk away for awhile he will cry & cry....:embarrassed:

most (all!) children starting childcare will cry. mine merrily waved bye to husband and i on first day cos it was so novel for him but from 2nd day onwards, he understood better that daddy and mommy are really away and so would cry every day at parting for over a month. even now, about 9 months on, he would cry when he had a good time with us at home in the morning or when we return from a trip. it's their way of expressing their desire to be with the parents, which is a good sign, but really, they also enjoy themselves in school with teachers and friends. he comes home telling us about his best friends and the things they do :)

HoneybunnyZ

First of all hi Mommies am new here..
And happy 2011!
I m currently a Sahm and my boy is 28months old
He is abit different from what Pkshl mentioned ,
He doesn't seem to Miss daddy much when hubby on biz trips, won't let
Daddy carry or feed him if I m around etc. Hubby claims he can sit down next to me to talk to me or read a book but not to him. Most times he ll also hug or kiss me more readily. Hubby sometimes got to ask and ask until he's frustrated.
I m also wondering if this is a growing phase as my hubby feels quote affected when he screams and cries if my hubby force to carry him over from me.

pkshl

yesterday & today, we brought our boy out. my boy doesn't even want me to hold his hand, its as though ive to force him to hold my hand. he only wants daddy to hold his hand & when i want to hold his hand, he push my hand away & hold my hubby's hand instead.

even when he cries, i tried to comfort him, he even push me away. for example earlier when he had a fall & i comfort him by hugging him, he push me away & cried even louder. it hurts me when he pushes me away. at 1st i feel frustrated when he dun listen to me. now when he pushes me away i feel so sad i even cried, now that im pregnant, there are things i cant do for him like i cant carry him with a big tummy, so i tried to hug him but he juz push me away!:embarrassed:

i seriously hope this is juz a growing phrase...:embarrassed:

HoneybunnyZ

Hi pkshi
I think for your case i can understand why he may react this way
Most kids become extremely sticky when their Mommies r preg with no. 2
But some feel that mommy is just not the 'same', they feel insecure, jealous and threatened by a coming baby. Or they cannot comprehend why mommy is changing , what is going on in mommy's body so they start to push you away. Not that he hates you but he cannot understand nor deal with his emotions appropriately
1) hv you and your hubby got him involve in your gynae checkups?
If not you may want to start now. Show him the coming baby brother/ sister
Tell him he is gonna be the big brother now make him feel important

2) don't ever tell him you can't carry him cos you are preg, let him know you ll love to carry him but you are tired/ backache etc n you ll love to hug him and kiss him
Again don't say mommy not well cos I m pregnant with didi etc that ll create Neg association with the baby

3) can you create some alone time with your kid. Take him to his fav place or give him his fav treat

4) hv Ur hubby explain how much you love him n miss his hugs / affection and it ll make you so happy

5) let him know you love him n ll like to be part of his play with daddy

6) get him to feel you tummy when baby moves n let him know he was once there and now that he is a big boy, you need his help with the baby bro/ Sis
If he can choose things he likes, get him to choose I.e color of clothes for baby, etc

Hths ...

pkshl

HoneybunnyZ, thanks for your suggestions.

we did brought him along for my gyne checkups. 1st time he is able to sit through & see the screen but halfway through he starts to fuss & my hubby ve to bring him outside. 2nd time he fell asleep while we were waiting for my turn.

i still hug & kiss my boy as usual. no changes on anything, juz that with my big tummy, my hubby was worried i get too tired while doing stuff for my boy like bathing, changing, cooking etc, now he has taken over most of the chores at home so that i can rest more cos i tend to get breathless at times. Its no wonder he will get so sticky to my hubby, even now with my big tummy, i cant carry him, i can only hug him yet he pushes me away. Even when my hubby goes out for awhile to buy something or bathing, my son can cry nonstop the moment my hubby steps out of the door & when my hubby is bathing, my son juz stand outside the toilet & cry, even attempt to open the toilet door.

Yes, there are times when my hubby goes to work & i bring him out , juz 2 of us. he is ok, will hold my hand & listen to me but if my hubby is around, he will stick more to my hubby.

somehow i feel that he is starting to get jealous over no.2 , we already told him he is going to be a big bro & he is now a big boy too so must take care of meimei. ive to b more patience towards him especially now tat im pregnant & tend to be abit short-tempered+ he is at a age where he duno how to talk yet & can only use crying to express himself...

HAIZ!