Stingray no good for preggy?

xicloudix

Is stringray not suitable for preggy???? I have carvings for BBQ stringrays but my granny says its poisonous, very hard to resist...

Ting

hmm, i think if u take in moderation it is fine.. as long not on a frequent basis.
i did take stringray when i was preg too.

actually my relatives say stingray is good, got lots of nutrients. if the mercury in it is really high i don't think it will be permitted to be consume here, cos not only bad for preggy ladies but to everyone right..

camom

Not only stingray, my gynae told me not to eat otah, mackarel & shark meat. Same reason, high mercury.

apollo

i did eat 2-3 times during preg b4 knowing tt preg women shd avoid stingray.. but eversince i know it is not good to take stingray, i stop eating it, even during the time when i was bf-ing..

iwan2noe

too much mercury... no good....
try to take fishes with scales.....
Yes, agree with Domique, it is not good as they are deep sea fish and is loaded with lotsa mercury so not recommended to take.. take more salmom, cod fish etc..
as long as u take every group of food in moderation is fine :)

diymummy

I ate a few times when I was pregnant. Agree that if you can refrain from eating, just refrain. Mercury no good for baby's brain. But once in a while is ok. Once in a while as in like once in 2 mths. That was what I set for myself. I love sting ray too!

iwan2noe

I ate a few times when I was pregnant. Agree that if you can refrain from eating, just refrain. Mercury no good for baby's brain. But once in a while is ok. Once in a while as in like once in 2 mths. That was what I set for myself. I love sting ray too!
me too ..I ate stingray like 2-3 times when I am not aware that it is not gd for preggies. Once i know ti, i stop taking... =P

angelwendy

OMG... i actually don't know about that i can't eat otah.... i still eat so much... when my frenz having BBQ... i think i eat around 20 of it.... :err: wat will happen?

iwan2noe

OMG... i actually dont't know about that i can't eat otah.... i still eat so much... when my frenz having BBQ... i think i eat around 20 of it.... :err: what will happen?
otah, sting ray, mango, papayas - > cant eat
octopus, crab and mutton(more of supertitions) -> if u don't believe it is up to u:)

I think there is nothing to reverse the situation liao.. now what u can do is to stop eating them.

nsync_su

I asked my gynae and she said tat its ok to eat all those, stingray, otah and mackerel. Its fish so they gives out proteins. As long as u dun smoke, drink or eat raw foods, then it shouldnt be a problem to the baby.

Eat in moderations. I think these r all individual's believes from old folks.

Last edited:
Yup think i better stop eating that... ^^ since now i knw already....
Hey, it is good to have this forum! As much as sometimes we read up alot ourselves, there are still new things to find out.

I also ate Otah a few times and suffered diarrhoea afterwards. I always knew chilli was not good for my tummy during pregnancy but it is good reminder that the fish contents too are not good fish! :p

Salmon, Cod fish, Ngoh fish (Hokkien) or Mayou (Cantonese) fish are examples of good protein for our lil ones. Always loved fish!