Strict feeding

baby cha cha

My son is 3 months old. We want him to sleep through the night and wake up the same time we wake up for work(that is 6am). So far he is able to sleep through the night and wakes up on average at 5:30am.

But once a while he wakes up 1 hour early. To ensure that he does not break the pattern, we hold off feeding him until 5:30am. During the 1 hour wait, he will cry non-stop no matter how much you try to calm him. Is this direction acceptable or necessary?

marshmallows

He is obviously hungry. Your baby is only 3 months old, too young to be on a strict feeding schedule as young babies will go through several growth spurts in the first year. During growth spurts they will be hungrier and needs to feed more often as this is the way their body is telling them that they need extra nutrition to grow.

Please dont't let him wait and cry out just because you want him to be in line with your schedule. He is still too young. You should be in line with his cues instead. How would you feel if you are hungry for breakfast but only gets to eat 1 hour later?

Last edited:

baby cha cha

Thanks for your comments marshmallows. He is our first child. My wife delays the feed. I do not know what is best. I am sure she has discuss this with her mommy friends and thus thinks this is necessary.

apollo

If your baby wakes up early but didnt cry and able to self entertain, then yes, you can delay the feed. but since he is crying badly, means he is hungry. just imagine if you are very hungry and no one allows you to eat, how would you feel? being able to sleep thru until 4.30am/5.30am, is consider very good for a 3mth old. some of my friends have babies who will wake up 3 hourly until 6-7 mths old. =)

Last edited:

pmcheng

Baby Cha Cha, actually your son is considered very guai and good to have quite a fixed feeding schedule already. I suppose the occassional break of cycle is ok, and I agree with Marshmallows that the cycle can change during growth spurts (which means parents just have to adapt with the short change in feeding pattern to cope with growth spurt). Maybe train feeding pattern at 4mths onwards when they start on solids and can feed them more? You could also check with your PD on this. :)

lyra

Poor baby! 3 months old is a time for growth spurt. That's why baby needs more milk. Dun deprive him of feeds because you want him to follow your schedule. Parents have to give up some things to be in line with baby's needs. Sacrifice is all part of parenthood :)

To add on, babychacha, try to delay solids to 6 months when baby's gut is more mature. Less risk of indigestion and allergy. At 4 months, most babies can't sit straight yet. Have to wait until they are ready for solids.

baby cha cha

Thank you for all your kind advices. Lately he has been sleeping through the night. Hope he keeps up. He has on average 4 feeds per day.