sudden drop in milk supply

akrf1983

Dear Mummies,

i have been expressing milk since i gave birth (3 mths + ago) and the supply has already built up. This week i was sick and given antibiotics and cant give my bb the expressed milk. When i continued to pump after the 3rd day of medication, i realised there is a sudden drop in my supply - used to be able to pump 180ml every 3 hrs, now only ard 150ml or even lesser, even though i drink a lot of water. What is happening? Will i be able to regain my supply after i finish my medicine or that's it for the baby? I really hope to bf him as long as possible.

Please help.

adelynn

i have the same issue whenever i am sick. my supply always drop even its just a slight cold. but each time after i recover, my supply will slowly climb back up - that's with me keeping up with the pump sessions as normal.

akrf1983

sounds like quite normal then... coz last time i din have this problem... is it becoz of the medicine we are taking?
my supply drop quite drastically wor... and when you recover are you still taking medicine? i will continue with the pumping though...

tks for the advice.

adelynn

i think it differs from person to person, but supply can be affected by several things:
- stress level
- fluids intake amount
- amount of sleep
- well being of mummy (sick or not)

and i, sadly get affected by all. haha

whenever i go and see GP, i would always tell the GP that i'm BF-ing and ask if the medication he/she prescribes is going to have impact on my supply or whether's its BF-ing safe.

and yes, you will still need to continue with your regular pump schedules, despite the drop of supply

:)

igal_76

I was down with fever and my supply dropped too. Was very worried but it went back to normal.

A few days ago, I was down with food poisoning and my supple again dwindled. Now I am trying to get it back to normal =)

You do need to make sure that you get plenty of fluids when you抮e sick, because you don抰 want to become dehydrated. Often your milk supply will decrease during and immediately after your illness, but your supply will build back up when you feel better.

Taken from When a Nursing Mother Gets Sick

shuffle

Try drinking some nursing tea. I don't know if it really works or it's just in my head, but my supply always recovers after a drop if I persist with pumping, latch-on & sipping on nursing tea. I have breastfed for 6 months and going.