suggestions needed for 2nd birthday.

tika

Hi mommies ,

When my first born turned 1 year old, we did not hold a grand party to celebrate it, mainly because we think she's too young to understand and appreiciate her special day.

Her 2nd birthday is approaching in 2 months time and I wish to hold a mini celebration. The main objective for this celebration is for her to meet toddlers her age or slightly older/younger and play and have fun.

One of my plans is to hold it at mcdonald's.

The problem is, who do i invite?

1) My family is out of the question because unfortunately we are not on talking terms.

2) Spouse's family only consist of grandparents and bro-in-law who is unmarried.

3) Spouse and I do not have close friends with young children or kids of any age. I doubt they'd want to come to my child's party. To them a party is incomplete without loud music and dancing (and booze for the non muslims).

So who do I invite??

My spouse suggested that i invite some mommies i'm familiar with from this forum but who would want to come to a party hosted by someone they' ve not met?

I thought of inviting my todd's playgroup friends from school but I only know 2 parents and the rest are grannies and granddads. I can't possibly invite their grannies without knowing the child's parents right.

:( Sigh. I just want my toddler to be able to celebrate her birthday with other kids. Spouse and I are starting to think we are pretty pathetic cos we don't have friends.

tinkerball

hmm. if u were to invite me it'll definitely be my pleasure to be there cos my 2 year old loves to make friends. besides i'll be moving to my flat in jurong somewhere in may or june so it'll be nice to be able to make friends in the area.

camom

Actually it's ok to invite her friends from sch even w/o knowing their parents in advance. What I do is to prepare the invites, pass them to her teacher to distribute with RSVP by a certain date. Do remember to leave your contact details so the parents can get back to you.

This is a gd way of getting to know your child's friends' parents. Who knows, it could be the start of beautiful friendships.

Ting

yeah u can actually invite the kids over by sending out invites.
or maybe u can hold a mini party at her PG??
for pin's coming bday, seriously, i hv a guest list of abt 80 pax (or more?) but only abt 10 kids, n abt 5-6 babies/todds.
hahahahaha~ its more like adults party rather than kiddos.

but i arranged another one in her CC so that she can celebrate with her classmates which is abt near 20 of them. :)

Phoebii Cheng

Yes, like Ting, I will b holding one mini party at my son's CC this Friday....but his classmates only abt 7 children....but it is better than hvg mostly adults

tika

thanks for the suggestion ladies. Do you guys ask for an rsvp from your child's friend's parents so you know whether they are coming or do you just give the invite and no rsvp?

Ting

i would think its best that u ask for rsvp maybe 2 weeks b4 the party so that u will know how much food to prepare, how many party favours to prepare n how many guest u r expecting. :)

for pin's bday i send out invites 1 mth b4 her bday.. cos its a big party n im tryin to minimise the wastage in the case of no show.

for sch, i just inform the teacher only. cos i only getting a cake n partyfavours. :)

tika

i just remembered, I can't hold a mini party at her playgroup venue cos its against their rules. They had a bad cake allergy accident many years before and since then have banned parties. How sad right.

I wonder what are the chances these parents I havent met would come out to my dotter's party elsewhere. Hmmm.

Ting

hmmmmmmm if its the cake issue, how abt substitute it to something else?
like jelly maybe??
i saw b4 some ppl make those big jelly figures (like agar agar)..
also can use as a cake substitute..
then u n your hubby can buy a mini cake just for her when u celebrate at home?

ask the sch n see if this arrangement can be made? then just provide some party favours n such..

if not, just go ahead n invite them to wherever your party is held n see the response.

u'll nvr know til u ask.. no point keep on wondering this n that...

n also, i dun see why u cant invite the grannies n granddads even if u duno the parents.
if they r the ones always bringing n fetching the children, of cos its ok to ask..
just tell them to inform the parents..
but, honestly, my take is that, the kids r still very young, they prob wont know what is really gg on anyway..

Last edited:

tika

yeah the kids would probably be too young to understand. cept those 3 year olds who can talk already lahh. :)

camom

I will ask for RSVP and give them both hp no & email to reply. For those who have not replied 3-4 days before the event, I will call and ask (if I have contact no.). Otherwise, it might be good to just give a reminder note to the child to bring back.

tika

hey that's a great idea, reminder note for the kids to take to their parents. thanks for the tip! :)

Ting

yeah u can leave the note in their comm book (if they hv) or ask the teachers to remind the parents.